It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The current nature of ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
If extraterrestrials would finally make definitive first contact then people would give politics a break for a month or two.

Any sane alien species out there, wouldnt make any contact with us, because of politics...

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMNOTYOU

originally posted by: dfnj2015
If extraterrestrials would finally make definitive first contact then people would give politics a break for a month or two.

Any sane alien species out there, wouldnt make any contact with us, because of politics...

They would silently conquer us through propaganda.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
TPTB are playing these cards, many are falling for it:

With fall and winter on the way, protests might wind down, what's next?

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: SparkOfSparks6

Well, look at it this way; the closer a conspiracy is to the truth, the more air-time it gets. There was a time when people by and large dismissed the notion they were being manipulated by a bunch of shadowy elite overlords pushing buttons and pulling levers behind the proverbial curtain. Over the past few years this has become more accurate than not. In fact, if you really step back and look at the situation objectively you will see the greatest conspiracy of all playing out right before our very eyes. It is like the grand conspiracy of all conspiracies rolled into a giant Methuselah of conspiracies. Media manipulation, political trickery, corruption run amok, deceit at virtually all levels...the list goes on.

Secondly, ATS, and many others like it, is merely a reflection of what people are thinking about. You can find the same trend, this same drift toward non-stop political debate, on virtually any website today; it's not unique to ATS. The many ATS members here who recently opine the days-of-old likely lament these same things in many other areas of their daily lives as well.

Lastly, you can thank the very Internet which brought you forums to begin with for taking part in this shift. After all, social media and all of it's permutations, has grown exponentially, logarithmically even, in the past 6-8 years. People's awareness of current events, and everyone's opinion of them, has grown by the same rate. You're living in a different society than you lived in 10 years ago. It may not be desirable, but like it or not it's reality.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
SparksOfSparks6 is absolutely right and I'm sorry to say that you, Liquesense, are proving his point. Why the need for such condesending sarcasm? Were you a member here 10 years ago?

It's sad to see what has become of ATS. It used to be a place of shared curiosity and an open exchange of ideas and knowledge with respect for differing points of views. I actually learned so much from other members. Now, not only is there very little respect between the polarized ATS members, but the forums themselves have become nothing but a vortex of negativity. Like Sparks, I keep coming back, two or three times a year, to see if anything has changed. I miss those old posts.and don't want to give up on this site, but I think I've reached my quota for this time around.
edit on 8/22/2017 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
One of the biggest factors for change was the arrival of New Year's Day 2013. Once the 2012 nonsense was discredited, people lost interest in a lot of other things as well.
I used to be able to see the Recent Posts page speed up when the Americans got out of bed. A fewmonths into 2013, that wasn't happening to the same degree.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Ever since the last election, everything has changed.

Long since passed, are the days we would conversate about aliens, other dimensions, hollow worlds, reptillians, The Powers That Be, spiritual and supernatural occurrences, history, quantum mechanics, global conspiracies, etc.

Now it's all about identity politics, political ideology, and the damn media.

..................Is this the plan? Have the string pullers behind the curtain found a way to divide us all so that we are not looking at what they are hoping to accomplish?

Think about it, we've had conspiracy theorists predict an earthquake in Mexico based on "training exercises" being done, pieced together large scale issues and hidden agendas all over the place...... until recently. Now, all we have are people arguing over which political side is the correct one.

What's happening here, is happening all around us. It's pretty terrifying, actually, that this entire political/media campaign has distracted everyone from everything. There could be discoveries, anomalies, whatever, happening all across the globe, but we're too caught up in Russia and Antifa to give a rat's. Hell, I remember when there was a new topic being typed up every 5 minutes by members and now it's an hourly ordeal, usually about the same political rant continued on from a month or so ago, or the same topic over and over.

We need to get back to our roots, get back to what we do best, and that is deny ignorance. All we're doing currently, is buying into said ignorance by fighting over politics.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Does it matter if it is a worked stone or a ashlar

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

I have yet to see a perfect ashlar, but I aspire to see one with every gaze.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

Spot on,

ATS has fallen into the political slumber. Which I believe was its designed purpose to sway the masses. Most particularly in the US, I hope that you all can look beyond this.

Whether ATS receives more income from politics or not. The essence of every truth seeker or conspirator was always to realize there is always a deep truth to every situation/thing.

I hope all that reads my thread, can look within themselves and detach your ideas on society. That is the only way we can revitalize the depth and discover the substantial reality.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You can blame the owners of this site for the steady decline of ATS and its former glory. I just perused the new topics here for the first time in 6 months. Nothing but political jackassery and stupidity. Adding political drama forums keeps the angry masses coming back for more, and that in turn keeps the owners in Adsense, Doubleclick and ad revenue. It's why they want your adblockers off. It's why ATS has become a miserable place.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: timidgal

SparksOfSparks6 is absolutely right and I'm sorry to say that you, Liquesense, are proving his point.

And that comment also doesn't?

Why the need for such condesending sarcasm?

One day, you might understand.

Were you a member here 10 years ago?

Look at my registration date to better answer your question.

It's sad to see what has become of ATS. It used to be a place of shared curiosity and an open exchange of ideas and knowledge with respect for differing points of views. I actually learned so much from other members. Now, not only is there very little respect between the polarized ATS members, but the forums themselves have become nothing but a vortex of negativity. Like Sparks, I keep coming back, two or three times a year, to see if anything has changed. I miss those old posts.and don't want to give up on this site, but I think I've reached my quota for this time around.

Now do you see the point of my posts, to which you have replied?

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear?

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I tend to agree. Years ago I stopped reading another site (that I think I can't name per forum rules) because it became politically charged and then I found abovetopsecret and within a few years it too became a political battlefield. So I've not been back here in months. I stopped in here and the highlighted stories were all political attacks, so I was about to close the tab until I saw your post.

The sites I enjoy reading deal with unexplained phenomena, conspiracy theories, strange science, and accounts of encounters with unknown creatures or beings. But inevitably they seem to be taken over and succumb to political fighting.

Hopefully at some point another site appears that has just that focus.
edit on 23-8-2017 by okachobi because: clarification

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

We can not always go back to the past. But I look forward for the nature of ATS to rekindle it's depth and wake up from the mass hypnosis.

I fear we will have a long wait.
Mass hypnosis about sums it up , perhaps sprinkled with a touch of mass hysteria.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Things change over time. That is the nature of society. I guess what you might ask yourself is, what is different about society now, to when you joined? Then perchance it might shed a spot light on what is going on today.

For me, I notice that politics are much more polarized in the world than they were. When I lived in the USA (2004 - 2010) it was different than when I visit now. A different change has happened in New Zealand while I was away, where the two main parties are actually closer in most ways than when I left. They'd never admit that

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Ah, but what if the biggest conspiracy of all involves all of the politics? What if there is a plan to alter the political identity of a nation, to try and subvert free thought for a political agenda that doesn't value freedom, but prefers lockstep agreement?

I'd say all of the political discussion fits right in, all considered.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join