It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The eclipse.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Hello ATS.

Did you view the eclipse?

Today was my day off from work so after running a few errands I visited a local library. A volunteer of the library offered me a pair of safety glasses so I could view the eclipse.

Wow! It was very cool!

I only saw it for a minute or so but I am glad I took the time to look.

Cool experience.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So neat !!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
So neat !!

Did you see it?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: nowuknow

Cool, glad you had a great experience!

I decided not to travel 2 hours to see full totality, so just watched it here.

It was a non-event, lol.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I only saw it for a minute or so but I am glad I took the time to look.

Me too. Even if just for a few minutes. I made a pinhole projector, took some pics of the crescent when it was almost full, (we are out of the path of totality here). The sky was twilight, it was cooler, the leaves on the trees outside made all these crescent shaped shadows on the ground.

(insert twilight zone theme)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

We live an hour south of the ''totality'' here in Oregon. There were hundreds of thousands of people come to visit and camp for days ahead of time. Lot's of tourist money for local businesses.

So today our skies are filled with smoke from fires raging to the north and west and east. Visibility was very very poor.
We didn't go up to it but stayed home and saw the partial. About three hours after it was over I had to hop onto the main north south freeway and the south bound traffic was packed with California licenses, going home

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I live in southern IL and the town I am in is in the path of totality for this one. It was a very cool experience...my son experienced it here with me and my daughter was at the "Solarbration" in a town nearby. Her and I were texting during the event and she said there were people from other countries and all over the US there to watch. Overall...a very cool experience.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: nowuknow

originally posted by: xuenchen
So neat !!

Did you see it?

Only the effects in the Chicago area.

But I did watch TV

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Right, it was sorta surreal. Kinda creepy but cool.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Hmmm.....oh well, kinda sucks but I'm sure the local businesses enjoyed the $$$$.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I went outside and watched the sun moon us. I now have justification for sticking my bare butt outside the car window in Lake Linden years ago.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
We were only at 92.3% here, but yes my wife and I went out and viewed it.

I thought it was very cool! Didn't get as dark as I thought it would though, more like kind of twilight-ey. There was just the tiniest sliver of Sun showing, but it was still pretty much full daylight.

Did notice about a 4 degree drop in temps for a few minutes though.

I heard from one person (don't know how accurate) that even at 92.3% totality the amount of light hitting the ground by us was equivalent to the brightness of 20,000 Moons.

Sun is an amazing orb.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yes we went to Land Between the Lakes, we saw some of Tennessee but mostly Kentucky.

It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

The doomers were right though, it did cause a disaster. A traffic disaster. LOL. Our 4.5 hour drive back to Cinci turned into a 9 hour bitch fest between me my kids dad and his friend as everyone had the best idea for which lane the driver (me) should be in, or what route we should take, highways, then back roads, no get back on the highway, no get back on the back roads...... We had no cell service from the time we got an hour away from LBL at 3am when we arrived that morning to the time we got near Lexington at about midnight. It was def. an experience, we are already referring to it as:

"The Great United States Migration"

Boy the highways sure were a party..... Gas stations too lol.

I'll never forget it, and for as frustrating as the aftermath was, I wouldn't change a thing. Comes with the territory I guess.

I'll try to post some screenshots from WAZE Chats later.

-Alee
edit on 8/22/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

We were only at 92.3% here . . . There was just the tiniest sliver of Sun showing, but it was still pretty much full daylight.. .

I was at 97%. Neglected to travel a couple of hours to see totality, but that's what's so amazing: even at 97% eclipsed, while it was dim, it was still daylight.

THAT is a powerful ball of fire.

new topics

top topics

join