It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wall vandalized at MLK Memorial Gardens, but the motive isn’t clear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
www.newsobserver.com...

RALEIGH Graffiti sprayed on a brick wall at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Gardens does not appear racist, Raleigh Police Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown said. The wall was vandalized Sunday night. On Monday morning, cleaning crews removed the spray paint and some posters that highlighted Dr. King’s quotes, according to a Raleigh police news release. The statue of Dr. King at the site and the gardens were not damaged, WRAL reported. Raleigh police are investigating and ask anyone with information about the incident to call Raleigh CrimeStoppers at (919) 834-HELP or visit raleighcrimestoppers.org for text and email reporting options. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for anonymous tips that help solve cases.

The words?

"Let his own words speak loud"

I am firmly against defacing, damaging, or removing any work of art that commemorates a person or event of historical significance. If it's important enough to remove it, it's important enough to find out why and let the majority decide it's fate.

I have brought up the irony of everyone being violent with regards to race issues, when Dr. King's way was to enact change without violence. His way made anyone who showed aggression towards them look like idiots. It was genius. Sadly, it was a bit ahead of it's time. Those who fear equality, saw the writing on the wall and had him killed. That was one thing that couldn't happen, is to unite the people.

But watching the news and seeing the people so upset over this graffiti makes me think of the amazing Hippocricy that exists when justification for tearing down a public statue is applauded, but this is just not understood. If everyone, and by that, I mean EVERYONE, at least listened to Dr. King's message and tried to show just a tiny bit of that courage, that realism, that truth, this world would be so much better. Instead, we have statues and parks and streets named after him and not a damn person one following his teachings. (hyperbole I know, but let this one go)

Judge others by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.

edit on 21-8-2017 by network dude because: bad spler

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Doctor King is probably rolling in his grave at the state of race relations today.
He wouldn't believe we have had a black president or large cities with black mayors, attorney generals or police chiefs.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Why would a MLK Memorial need a "Wall" ?

So puzzling.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
"Let his own words speak loud" painted on the "Wall".

Guess it wasn't Nazis.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Graffiti sprayed on a brick wall at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Gardens does not appear racist

apparently they haven't been informed everything is racist...

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Why would a MLK Memorial need a "Wall" ?

So puzzling.

It's a landscaping wall. In a garden.

Don't strain yourself.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Guess it wasn't Nazis.

Glad to see this was GOOD vandalism.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well, this sucks.
I was afraid once they started going after Confederate statues some dumbass would feel the need to "retaliate".
This is the very cycle of one-upsmanship I was afraid would start escalating until it gets completely out of hand.
Let's not let a couple of psychos throw us back 100 years in race relations.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: network dude

Doctor King is probably rolling in his grave at the state of race relations today.
He wouldn't believe we have had a black president or large cities with black mayors, attorney generals or police chiefs.

He would call all of them traitors to the people.. sellouts to the system...just like the White elected/appointed officials.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Guess it wasn't Nazis.

Glad to see this was GOOD vandalism.

And well "intended" I might add.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yep. No matter what the intentions were, this will only cause trouble and offer legitimacy to the other idiots.

top topics

join