It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

solar eclipse: what if?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lizardghost

I somehow managed to survive adolescence with internet access without going blind, I'm sure the sun won't be a big deal!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32
I just dont get the big hoopla about the moon crossing in front of the sun....

Being able to be in the area of totality is a once in a lifetime event for many thounsands, if not millions.
edit on 21-8-2017 by essentialtremors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Also, just got through totality here and it was pretty damn cool.

Especially all of the kids on campus a block over howling like madmen LoL.
edit on 21-8-2017 by essentialtremors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Double Post...later is the corrected version..kinda.
edit on st17Mon, 21 Aug 2017 14:17:29 -0500K201782931pm8 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

That's because a #13 was the minimum rating put out by NASA.. they told people your typical welding goggles won't cut it

Thank you for posting this quicker than myself. #13 works perfectly. I live in South Florida and saw the eclipse. It was AWESOME!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: lizardghost
everybody putting there trust is glasses that look like 80s 3d glasses with paper sides that allow sun in through the sides??? who is making these 3d glasses north korea?

"Allow sun in through the sides"?

Why does that matter? there isn't anything magical about the sunlight during an eclipse that makes the light itself more dangerous. The reason there are more people who get eye damage during an eclipse is that more people are tempted to look at the Sun during an eclipse. Plus, during near totality, it seems dark enough for naked-eye viewing without too much glare, but even then the little bit of light that does reach your naked eye is dangerous.

But eclipse glasses that allow the sun in the sides are no more inherently dangerous than wearing sunglass that allow sun through the sides on a regular (non-eclipse) sunny day.

More to the point: when I look up at the sun with my cardboard glasses, there is no direct sunlight getting in my eyes through the sides.

And yeah -- ISO 12312-2 cardboard eclipse glasses provide more sun protection (e.g., allow in less light) than your #10 welding goggles. You need #14 goggles to do the same job as the cardboard glasses manufactured to ISO 12312-2 standards. Maybe you should have listened to "them" and used either #14 goggles or the ISO 12312-2 cardboard glasses...

...or maybe you should have done some better research on your own about what type of glasses are safe. You would have had less of an issue and less risk of eye damage.

edit on 22/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Two colored lenses in rectangular welding glasses made theSun greenish. The paper glasses made it orange. At totality in Donelley, Idaho made the corona visible for about 30 Seconds. We were at 4880 feet above sea level. a reply to: essentialtremors

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join