It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is wrong with your bloody ships.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
a reply to: SprocketUK

USS John S. McCain

That's all I needed to read. That ship is cursed with the name of a fool.

It's not named after the Senator.

It's named after his father and grandfather. Both were admirals in the Navy. Most destroyers are named after admirals and commodores. Like the 3 ships I served on:

USS Preble
USS Coontz
USS MacDonough

Admiral John S. McCain Sr

Admiral John S. McCain Jr.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Dude, you riding on the wrong side of the road....

I think there is something afoot with these Tankers intentionally causing these

A navy destroyer could quite literally sail circles around these tankers.

Several high ranking crewmen's careers were ended just a couple days before this. If there was a massive systems failure they would not have been punished.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
www.660news.com...

The title is a homage to Admiral Beatty, but it is fitting.
What gives? How is another modern warship unable to steer clear of an oil tanker?
this is the second one in a couple of months.

USS John S. McCain apparently suffered an engineering casualty resulting in a temporay loss of steering while passing one of the busiest waterstraits on the planets where most ships are transiting at high speeds due to piracy in the region.
We'll see what the Investigation will turn up, but its entirely possible that the collision was unavoidable under those circumstances.

Bay the looks of it, the collision between Fitzgerald and Crystal was much more of an actual f*kup.

This is a great article on the subject:
gcaptain.com...

edit on 21-8-2017 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

link   
I listened to the recording of the collision. The crew were trying to warn the captain and were concerned. The captain in this case is/was a total pompous idiot and crashed his ship and is probably being discharged from the navy as we speak.

link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

My husband says the same thing, he retired in 2006. He has a job in corporate training now, and would agree with everything you just wrote.

Budget cuts play a huge part. I remember him saying in the last few years before retirement, that it wasn't the same navy he joined.

People don't understand the amount of hours these guys work when they are deployed, most people wouldn't have these jobs, in my opinion. It leaves a lot of room for errors and accidents.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I was just throwing out example numbers..

I've seen them but not recently enough to remember them by heart, but the numbers are just crazy mismatched..

The US literally has a better navy than everyone else put together.. not an exaggeration..

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: artnut

Heh, I can say when I got out, the Navy wasn't the same as when I went in, hehe. Lot had changed, and that was back in 1994 when I got out.

While the initial reports are saying there was an engineering casualty which resulted in a loss of steerage in a heavy traffic area (one of those special circumstances I was talking about that can lead to a collision), it would not surprise me to learn that the casualty happened because:

Lack of proper maintenance on the equipment to handle that situation due to a lack of training.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

He already read all he needs to.. you heard him..

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

There is a link to an audio clip posted in the other thread that is very enlightening imho.

originally posted by: roadgravel
The USS Porter collided with a tanker in the Straight of Hormuz in 2012. Collisions have been happening before this year.

Here is the audio leading up to the collision.

Audio link

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
In days past the USN was always given a wide margin by other vessels. In fact, the USN would often contact other vessels in the area, give them coordinates to go to, and tell them to hold there until the navy group has gone by. In today's world I think that wide margin of respect has narrowed considerably. Other vessels, especially those of other nations, are less likely to jump out of our way but would rather make us go around them. A ship that size does not turn quickly or stop on a dime. What bothers me though is the simple everyday maritime rules of sailing are not even being followed. This makes me think it is not so much accident as intent.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Thanks for taking the time to reply so fully.

I admit it's something I was thinking, but I find it hard to imagine the thought process that spends billions on a ship then skips the cost of maintaining the skills to fight it and sail it.

I wonder who decided that the previous level of professionalism was too expensive to maintain. ..

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Incompetence at the helm due to a reliance on technology instead of looking out of the bloody window - hit on the port side, again - the warship is at fault - just like last time.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

There is a link to an audio clip posted in the other thread that is very enlightening imho.

originally posted by: roadgravel
The USS Porter collided with a tanker in the Straight of Hormuz in 2012. Collisions have been happening before this year.

Here is the audio leading up to the collision.

Audio link

Thanks. Will give that a listen when I'm on the pc.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

That would place them 'not-under command' and therefore all other vessels must give way.

I bet $100, they were not aware of the need to display day shapes / night nights showing same because, well - incompetence due to a reliance on technology.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

did this ship pass them at close range just to turn around and come back and ram them?

A large tanker passing, turning and chasing down a destroyer in order to ram it. Not if the ship isn't dead in the water.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Still the name has been cursed!

I dont think people realize how crappy some of our ships are. I did one deployment on the USS McInerney FFG8. We broke down so many times. The whole sewage system once backed up and the HTs were knee deep in poo. The only functioning head was in the chiefs mess and they weren't happy about it.

Another deployment on FFG55 USS Elrod. Another POS. We broke down, dead in the water for almost a week. The battle group left us behind on that one. The ship had no Stabs the entire deployment and we were in the North Atlantic for BALTOPS. A rough ride to say the least.
edit on 21-8-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I hate to say it but I think the US navy is making the close calls. In doing that it ups the chance of a collision.

Murphy's Law will occasionally arrive.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

No other countries even have a navy that could give the US a shooting war..

The US has a bigger more advanced navy than everyone else combined..

Mainly because the concept of a navy is almost obsolete and only the US has a military industrial complex spending money on out dated tech.

These days, the US Navy wants us to focus on modern, if out-dated, sea-going ships just as the US Air Force wants us to focus on the F-35 and F-22. They do not want you to think about high tech defense systems such as black triangles, weapons/command platforms in space and the vast and cheap efficiency of missiles.

All of these types would come out of the dark and instantly into play during any really serious conflict. Strangely, the only people largely unaware of such devices are our own people. Surely, the Chinese and Russians have their own black programs underway as they gauge our efforts. How many of the ominous black triangles have to be seen before the intel folks of other countries get a whiff of the real secret stuff. How many Gary McKinnon's need to spill the beans about orbital space ships before others take note?

Living in this modern age of governmental secrecy, corruption and misdeeds is a big joke upon all of humanity when it could be the brightest time yet in human destiny. I'm sick of it!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

a reply to: FauxMulder

Your trump and savior said bash him, so all you faithful better get on it...

My reply had absolutely nothing to do with Trump. But I guess your leftist religion said bring up Trump whenever you can, and here you are.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I was just throwing out example numbers..

I've seen them but not recently enough to remember them by heart, but the numbers are just crazy mismatched..

The US literally has a better navy than everyone else put together.. not an exaggeration..

It doesn't matter how many ships you have.
If they are being sailed badly, its all too possible that one of the carriers will lose a portion of it's missile screen and that would potentially result in the loss of the carrier which would be a hammer blow to that squadron.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join