It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did you change you post. Explain yourself

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme
I have a theory that the instruction was originally intended for the Mods, who do have a moral obligation to explain their editing of member posts.
I remember seeing the "edited by/no reason given" notification on SO's posts long before the facility was rolled out for other members, and that's part of my reason for thinking that the Mods are being addressed here.

edit on 20-8-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

"" Why did you change you post. Explain yourself ""

You forgot to edit the error in the Title !!

BwaaaHaHaHa

Maybe the "system" is a hidden Hegelian Dialectic designed to drive you crazy.

edit on Aug-20-2017 by xuenchen because: nit picky micromanaging clinical jealousy

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
=

edit on 8/20/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/20/17 by Gothmog because: It wasnt that funny

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I believe it has to do with integrity of the website, and to a lesser degree, of that of the author - not your every day chatter, it's more for an OP whose thread relies on truth and honesty &/or where additional information which has come to light since posting the OP which warrants inclusion therefore an edit note to accompany same.

ATS has an international audience, some of whom are themselves journalists and writers - whose very reputation relies on honesty, transparency and integrity.

thanks for The Best explanation so far...

it has to do with the integrity of the Post & the contents...
for instance, the Wikipedia, an edit can be made, and the edit may itself have a trace of the Mandella Effect surrounding the content... these Un-Attributed changes in the content make the information 'tainted'

the Purists in these threads/forums are the only Ones' constrained to publically acknowledge an Edit by the Author themselves... just so the direction of the Post or the facts concerning the veracity of the content are not switched by any 'Spin' the author decides to attach to the 'document'++++++

in most cases an "Acknowledged Edit" will not reduce the edited correspondence from a 'document' to only a 'post' in Its' Status

edit on th31150323658120432017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

It might have been done that way to allow any member to take enough rope to hang themselves . Imagine someone taking a screen cap. of the original post , and later the op says it was only a spell edit ...kind of a gotya moment ...what is the penalty for lying around here ?

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yawn. We don't have the time for your demands. Just deal with it like the thousands of other members. Please don't waste people's time. It's stretched thin enough as is.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It's a very convenient place for coded messages or love notes to some of my more than secret lovers.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

And if I edit 10 times? The last one I delete 9 "edit" lines so only 1 "edit" is left...I may not put anything in it either for it.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

You can erase the first one and only leave one at the end.

I often do so that I don't have a whole string of edit notes hanging on at the end.

I thought mods didn't allow that....and that it goes on your permanent record.
After you do it three times they have your pet killed or your tires slashed (I think they give you a choice).

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

And if I edit 10 times? The last one I delete 9 "edit" lines so only 1 "edit" is left...I may not put anything in it either for it.

A very clever tactic !

Might freak some people out.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Frankly editing or not editing says a lot about you. Your impatience, your not looking both ways, your haste, and sometimes your arrogance.

Complying with the request is simple and quick. Just what had you in mind doing with all the seconds you saved not complying with the request ?
Along with editing, I suppose there is spell checking.... and as fate would have it, the primary reason to edit. 'usually'

"But why do we need to enter a reason? And why does it say this must be filled in when clearly you don't have to enter anything for you edit to be applied to your post.

This question. MUST. be answered.

edit on 8202017 by Sillyolme because: See? This is what I mean..."
Rules is rules

And .... well a lot of people pay no attention to them.
Stop signs, yield signs, speed limit signs, Handicapped parking signs, time limit signs, no passing signs. It seems there are a plethora of people who flaunt the rules.. look at the population at large... Rioting, demonstrations, the current activity you saw last week and every day thereafter. and will see every day from now on until anarchy is achieved.

It's a mindset

"Why does this screen even exist?"

Perhaps to cool your jets, or maybe a way of validating your edits reasoning. We have become a society of immediacy and can't be bothered by trivialities it seems. More than 'Seems' it is a fact. Where once was reasoning, now there is simple emotional or mob mentality at work. Much can be said in editing.

edit on 20-8-2017 by Plotus because: see for yourself. Many messages can be found in editing.

edit on 20-8-2017 by Plotus because: It can become fun, and an art, almost subliminal as it were

edit on 20-8-2017 by Plotus because: and sometines comedy relief .....that flies far ove the heads of those who only read the title and skip down to vent their vitriol. which as of late has been in abundance.

edit on 20-8-2017 by Plotus because: opps, that was 'over the heads'

edit on 20-8-2017 by Plotus because: Sorry about missing some of the punctuation......

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

It might have been done that way to allow any member to take enough rope to hang themselves . Imagine someone taking a screen cap. of the original post , and later the op says it was only a spell edit ...kind of a gotya moment ...what is the penalty for lying around here ?

"Lying" is legal sometimes.

Only when you're "under oath" it becomes "illegal".

It's an often used trick by politicians.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

It becomes a psychological quagmire.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Every time you edit a post and don't leave a reason, a star somewhere in the Universe goes super nova and wipes out an entire alien civilization.
edit on 20-8-2017 by Junkheap because: duplicate word

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

you're doing it all wrong Silly..

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap
Every time you edit a post and don't leave a reason, a star somewhere in the Universe goes super nova and wipes out an entire alien civilization.

Sadness seems the song of the Universe, when it would of been so easy to just comply

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It's an honesty box - think of a fruit stand: you take a piece and they trust you to leave the money in the box.

It's good to know when someone explains why their post has been edited: did they decide to remove a chunk of the post after many have read it because they were wrong or something, did they just do some selling checks, did they add some more info to original box, manipulating the original post to deceive the audience etc etc.

It shows integrity of the user, honesty, trust etc.

It's simple, some of mine which come up in a list box when I type a letter are: Added + Fixed , Addition, Sp, Spelling, Fixed post, Added Link, Added Content - Just something simple.

It's not hard to do, you don't have to explain out what you actually did in length, but you also don't have to put anything in.

edit on 20-8-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Added + Fixed

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

A while ago I edited somebody else’s post and it left my username on it. Then I had my posting rights revoked while it was “looked into”. So yes, it’s handy because you know if some mischievous gremlin has been haunting the thread. Also...

edit on 20th August 2017 by VigiliaProcuratio because:

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Well when I edit my posts, it's to change the original post so I don't look like a fool and hide the evidence of me being a nazi after the Great Sillyolme or another poster shows me the error of my ways. I hate being caught in my devious lies. Makes me feel bad.

If you substantially edit a post, it should show the original post below the edited. That way I could stop living the lie.

edit on 20-8-2017 by pavil because: Because Sillyolme did it again....I feel so dirty.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
How do you edit someone's original post ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join