It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes America so great?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Hey Guys

I was just wondering about the only world power in existence today. Even today it attracts thousands of immigrants every year and much more yearn to come to land of oppurtunity.

What makes all this possible? What makes America so great? All I can think about is the conservative nature and emphasis on personal freedom.

What do you guys think? Something to do with economy, natural resources, army?

P.S. For goodness sake don't start a hate war between America and rest of the world.

Surf

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
America is the land of infidels and decadence!! Death to America and Israel!!

seriously what makes america so great is it's a land of oppurtunity, you can make 10 times as much over in america what you can make in the 3rd world for the same job and people are attracted to the american life : a new house, shiny new cars, satellite tv, endless shopping malls where you can buy anything you could think of, amusement parks, hollywood and a level freedom to travel and personal freedom from the government that is hard to find in many other countries (though i'm not saying the US is no1 in that area:@@
America is the beacon of success and riches that is in the west.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
People like me

On the most part we are a very generous and caring lot if somewhat naive in some matters. We have a lot of freedoms although some will say not enough and some will say too much but all in all it is a great place to live.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
People like me

On the most part we are a very generous and caring lot if somewhat naive in some matters. We have a lot of freedoms although some will say not enough and some will say too much but all in all it is a great place to live.

But we didn't have lot of freedoms we have today before, but we still managed to become what we are today, why?

Perhaps technological innovation lead to more freedoms?

Surf

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
What makes all this possible? What makes America so great? All I can think about is the conservative nature and emphasis on personal freedom.

Well what do you mean by "conservative nature" though?

Freedom sure. Oppressed people come for freedom. Poor and indigent though come for good paying jobs and the opportunity to have a chance at a life absent an aristocracy (supposedly).

They come for the safety nets of government programs, the education opportunities, the minimum wage!

Is that really conservative?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Well what do you mean by "conservative nature" though?
Is that really conservative?

I meant conservative in context of democrats and republicans. Most politicans tend to be moderate these days and propose mostly moderate bills, because they needs the votes.

Surf

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What makes America great?
Great question for a discussion. Well, I will answer this question from my personal experience. I came to America 10 years ago with my parents and my sister. We started from a scratch and after 10 years, today we have everything we could have dreamed of. And I am not only talking about material things. Currently, I am pursuing my master's in internation affairs and working full time. I could have never even imagined reaching this far in my own country. Because in most countries, no matter how hard you work you will not be rewarded. It may sound like a cliche but in America if you have the will and determination you can do anything and everything. If you don't have finance resources, you will get help. Money is not an obstacle in here.
What else makes America great?
America is the first country to lend help, whether its financial or any other form, to people around the world. The sad thing is that after doing so much for so many people, America is still looked down at by those very people.
I wonder how would we be treated if we didn't do anything for others. It is this type of kindness, generosity that keeps America the greatest nation in the world! It will always be great!

top topics

join