It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe: Thousands At Risk Of Contracting Pig Virus From Tainted Sausages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Heads up for our friends in Europe. Appears a well known grocery store brand may be infected with Hepatitis E and people are getting sick.

Public Service Announcement :

www.thetimes.co.uk...

A leading British supermarket may unwittingly have infected thousands of people with a pig virus that causes liver cirrhosis and neurological damage, say researchers at Public Health England.

Hepatitis E (HEV) is transmitted by sausages and pork products from Europe, mainly Holland and Germany. Scientists at PHE, a government agency, have traced the shopping habits of infected people and found that a common factor is consumption of own-brand sausages from “Supermarket X”.

PHE and the Food Standards Agency (FSA) have refused to name Supermarket X but two separate sources said it was Tesco.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I'm very glad I gave up eating that kind of thing a long time ago. There hasn't been a food scare that worried me in over twenty five years.
edit on 19-8-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I buy sausages from Tesco every week and have done for 30 odd years. I prefer Richmond sausages, they're cheap but consistently class. But often go up market and buy Tesco's own brand posh/heritage type sausages, pork and apple etc etc.

Oh well. Dead again.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Someone once observed that the pig is like a saint, in that he is more
revered in death when alive. If it's not mad-cow from beef
then it's hep-E from pork. Perhaps they should jack up the price
and raise their livestock with respect, like in Japan, where the
coveted cow is pampered and fattened before slaughter.

I guess this means maybe eating only chicken and seafood, not
so bad. Bacon is a breakfast mainstay but Canadian bacon is from
the eye of the loin, I may go for it next time. But bacon is pork
and hamburger and steaks are beef, it must be a crap shoot
each time I eat them as to whether I come down with something
from eating it .

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
My local store is Tesco and yes we have had sausages. Quite often 😱.

Thanks for the heads up, you would think they would name the store immediately, unless this has now been contained?

a reply to: infolurker

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The big giveaway is the word "may". However, the source is pork products from Holland and Germany, so if you buy British pork (as any discerning Brit should do) then you'll be OK. British welfare standards for Pork are far better then in the rest of the EU.

Just think that with Brexit, the UK will be able to impose restrictions on the importation of crappy German and Dutch pork that's riddled with disease. Currently that is not possible. The prevalence of Hepatitis E in imported pork from the EU has been known for a number of years.
edit on 20/8/2017 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Not forgetting adding horse meat to beef supplies. I remember being in Norway and wondering why my burgers kept gluing themselves to the tin foil. Seriously glued and stuck to the tin foil. I'd try and peel them off and they would tear the thick foil. Gave up on red meat after that.

Currently switched to chicken for my burgers. There are some really nice quarter pounders, but often they get "substituted" for the smaller ones which are more batter and crumbs than chicken.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
My country just had the fipronil in eggs which wasted a LOT of eggs.
For anyone interested there's a website with more on food problems in the EU : webgate.ec.europa.eu...
and the UK:www.food.gov.uk...
I couldn't find anything on hepatitis in pork/sausages though.

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Looks like time to switch to Spam,the other alternative,if you can get over the taste

posted on Aug, 20 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Bring in some more illegals that should fix it.a reply to: infolurker

top topics

join