It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alt-right Cancels California Book Burning of ‘Degenerate Literature’ Organizer Fears Liberals

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Honestly, and I'm open to being wrong but I feel this is the propaganda stemming from Russia. Russia needs us destabilized and diminished in the world.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I made sure to include a quote from him that explains his reasoning.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

The language used seems a bit hackneyed, such as 'ridding society of degeneracy', Bolshevik and Communist. A book burning hasn't, as far as I'm aware, hasnt been a tactic of the US far right currently, but I could be wrong about that. Finally has the far right cancelled any other events due to fear or threat of violence so far?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Are you as amused as I am to find Teen Vogue on the list?

It's made quite the change in the recent past - from a rather silly "swoon all over the boy bands" to some fairly hard-hitting journalism and research on politics and environment and social issues and more. I can see why they'd be afraid of it.

What I've read, though, seems well researched and fairly balanced. I just find it very strange (and heartening) that a teen magazine for girls really rocks the journalistic world.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Boston today, they didn't cancel entirely but some billed speakers didn't show.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

The language used seems a bit hackneyed, such as 'ridding society of degeneracy', Bolshevik and Communist. A book burning hasn't, as far as I'm aware, hasnt been a tactic of the US far right currently, but I could be wrong about that. Finally has the far right cancelled any other events due to fear or threat of violence so far?

Technically they've done some destruction of the Koran, the Torah, and similar books in the past decade. The Koran is a frequent target.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

It's made quite the change in the recent past - from a rather silly "swoon all over the boy bands" to some fairly hard-hitting journalism and research on politics and environment and social issues and more. I can see why they'd be afraid of it.

What I've read, though, seems well researched and fairly balanced. I just find it very strange (and heartening) that a teen magazine for girls really rocks the journalistic world.

Totally agree. I'm not at all shocked though that it's become a target of the Alt-right.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

He's claiming to do it for shock value basically... well having wanted to do it. I don't see the logic in cancelling it though, his intent is public any perceived or real target on his back will still be there.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Teen Vogue and Cosmo and Marx.

Oh my !

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

Technically they've done some destruction of the Koran, the Torah, and similar books in the past decade. The Koran is a frequent target.

I see. I suppose that isn't particularly surprising. Maybe this is for real and it's just not written in a particularly credible way.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

He believes that free speech is under attack, yet wants to burn and purge all of the literature that he doesn't agree with. Hmmm...

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Teen Vogue and Cosmo and Marx.

Oh my !

I find it interesting that magazines for women and teen girls are targeted... for the same types of articles you could find in Wall Street Journal or New York Times.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Russia yeah. And many more. I think mostly of NGO's. But there are countries who know and are sick of us destabilizing them. Tho it is unlikely they can have the influence or money to do it.

So what do we do? Stop giving them media coverage. Not gonna happen. They need the viewers. Everything sucks right now.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

If I worked for Teen Vogue, I'd take making that list as one of the highest honors achievable.

They've been writing some heavy stuff lately. Nothing like the garbage I had growing up.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I saw that... **sigh** Not to mention the books about, and I quote, "liberal democratic tendencies/attitudes".

It just never seems to stop, does it?

Book burning...in the age of the internet. Really?

Saving the world from Teen Vogue...thank God they're here for us. I feel so much safer now.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yeup. The march of the hypocrites goes on.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I find it interesting that magazines for women and teen girls are targeted... for the same types of articles you could find in Wall Street Journal or New York Times.

And sex ed books are also included in that "degeneracy" list.

It kind of gives us the message:

Females and sex = shameful

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

He says he doesn't want to purge it. It's just symbolic. In other words he wants to invoke Nazi imagery to demonstrate what isn't acceptable literature.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Book burning...in the age of the internet. Really?

Hah! I didn't even think about that. It's tantamount to burning papyrus, quills, and bottles of ink to stop Trump from Tweeting.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

It kind of gives us the message:

Females and sex = shameful

Gives me the message of "hate what you can't get".

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join