It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future is here! Robot soldier time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I was browsing the BBC and happened upon a very interesting video (sorry, it was only a video; no article). It showcases the new robo-soldiers the US Army will be deploying THIS SPRING in Iraq. From the video, I was able to conclude that these little guys can navigate through rough terrain, and are also equipped with some lethal weapons.

Here's about the only text provided:

The US army has announced that it will introduce robot soldiers into combat operations in Iraq this spring.

The robo-soldiers cost $200,000 each and are operated by remote control.

You can watch the video at:

news.bbc.co.uk...#

Look to the right side of the page. The robot video should be somewhere under the red bar. Hurry up and watch before they remove the video from the site!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I thought I heard about 18 of them were already deployed about a week or two ago. Not only do they make it safer for us, but they make it safer for the occupants of building they are checking because there's not a scared soldier that might accidently shoot someone that moves the wrong way.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Link to the article? Because BBC is reporting that these robots have just been developed and won't be deployed until spring 2005.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
FYI -

The Talon Robot: Ready for Iraq

Other info and updates;

2005 - Two robotics projects in the USA and Korea announced stunning breakthroughs this week. The US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency contracted Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute to build a computer that can read documents and learn from them, for $1.2 million. Korea's Advanced Institute of Science and Technology created software to install 14 artificial chromosomes ton a robot within three months. The software code is modelled on human DNA.

The New Military: Robots with Human DNA

2005 - New micro-robots called microbots grow their own muscles from living animals. The microbots are grown on silicon chips, using the same principles and similar technologies as those used to make integrated circuits. "I can make hundreds of thousands as easily as I can make one," says nanotechnologist Carlo Montemagno. Blending biological and mechanical parts with phenomenal precision, microbots are a fully integrated system, blurring the lines between men and machines.

The New Military: Microbots

2000 - "One of the projects DARPA is currently supporting is work by a team at Michigan State University's College of Engineering, who are developing reconfigurable micro-robots for use in military, intelligence and law enforcement ...."

DARPA Works to Replace Soldiers, Police with Robots

2005 - "Scientists at the University of California Los Angeles have successfully bonded flesh to silicon to create what they claim is world's first muscled robot. ..."They have a maximum moving speed of 40 micrometres per second and can work for more than four hours, although not continuously." "

It needs your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle

Also see:

The Talon Robot: Ready for Iraq

Fly-eating robot powers itself

So just put everything together with AI, self-powered microbots, human DNA and all the other latest innovations...

The Cost of War

How International Corporations Take Money Out of Troops Mouths

Outsourcing the Pentagon

Privatizing War - How affairs of state are outsourced to corporations beyond public control

Mercenary Firms and War Profiteers 1
Mercenary Firms and War Profiteers 2

Executive Outcomes: A new kind of army for privatized global warfare

Dogs Of War Inc. - A $300 Billion Dollar Business

For those who wonder where all the money is going:

What's Happening to America?

Where is the Money?

The Cost of War

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The TALON robot has been unveiled forever. I seen this thing when I was a kid 5++ years ago.

This SWORDS robot doesnt look very affective honestly. But if it saves 1 life it is good enough for me.

I think UCAV would be better money spent then mini treaded gun platforms. The concept is ok, but I think the cavalry and Tanks should get robotized before the m16 and m203 and sniper rifle gets robotized.

And only 18 are going to be used.

BY the time these things are on production, and by the time the cavalrya nd tanks are made unmanned, we would be into WW5 and like 2030.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The terminator!
gosh..................... this is kinda wierd. I don't want robot police officers!

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
SWORDS(Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection Systems)

In my opinion,this could either bring about a positive result or it could just crash and burn like the Commanche Project.Such robots are highly expensive but I heard in one test that the robot shot/scored 70 out of 70 bull's-eyes.This is because all the problematic elements such as recoils,breathing techniques and the weapons control are eliminated.Thus,this robot is somewhat a marksman when it comes to shooting down the enemy.

Eventhough they're sending 18 of those robots to Iraq,I doubt the robot could adapt to such harsh,dusty and desert-type environment.Well,we'll just see what happens.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Here's another video:

www.compfused.com...

It shows some really awesome stuff! The maneuverability of that robot is insane! I can't verify the validity of the above video though. Does anyone have more information on it?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Actually, they look like armed versions of the British 'Wheelbarrow' bomb disposal unit. Remote controlled. Nothing new in that. We Brits have been doing that for years.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackout
Here's another video:

www.compfused.com...

It shows some really awesome stuff! The maneuverability of that robot is insane! I can't verify the validity of the above video though. Does anyone have more information on it?

This video is a CGI demo for Embassy Visual Effects Inc. It's completely fictitious and is just basically a commercial to demonstrate their capabilities. Pretty cool though isn't it? If we ever get to that level of sophistication I'd be a little frightened.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
ARG.. TERMINATOR SCANNING THE STREET!! Luckily I am from SIngapore so Terminator is scanning U.S street while I watch on T.V

top topics

join