It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Bans A Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Ok this isn't good at all, christian religious minorities are like the canary in the coal mine warning of more oppressive measures that are coming.

Russian Bans Translation Of Bible

Snippet

With the decision to ban the NWT, the Russian Federation has assumed a hostile posture that should concern more than just the Witnesses. According to Willy Fautré, director and co-founder of Belgium-based Human Rights Without Frontiers: "Any translation of any other historical sacred book—the Koran of the Muslims, the Tanakh of the Jews, and the Kangyur of the Buddhists—can now be declared illegal in Russia, and any sacred book of any other religion is now vulnerable to state censorship in Russia."

Scores of religious experts following the situation in Russia have not been shy in speaking out in opposition to the case, such as Daniel Mark, chairman of the United States Commission on Religious Freedom, who states: "The conclusion by the court—by any court—that the NWT translation is not a Bible is nonsense." Likewise, Dr. Mathew N. Schmalz, associate professor of religious studies at the College of the Holy Cross, declares: "the claim that the NWT is not 'a Bible' is absurd."

edit on 19-8-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Russia,America,Spain,United Kingdom,France.

World wide dark ages reemergence.

The entire world needs a new renaissance.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Sorry to take the contrarian position but..this sounds like the start of one. Religion has harmed far too many in our centuries of existence.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DrunkenMimeMaster

Not as many as politics has.

The greatest weapon of mass destruction mankind has ever created.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Why don't we scrap both and reroll?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Satan's goal for mankind:

Abolition of ALL ordered national governments.
Abolition of inheritance
Abolition of private property.
Abolition of patriotism.
Abolition of the individual home and family life as the cell from which all civilizations have stemmed.
Abolition of ALL religions established and existing so that the Luciferian ideology of totalitarianism may be imposed on mankind.

They plan but God also plans and God is the best of planners.

edit on 19-8-2017 by ElectricFeel because: .

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricFeel

Satan's goal for mankind:

Abolition of ALL ordered national governments.
Abolition of inheritance
Abolition of private property.
Abolition of patriotism.
Abolition of the individual home and family life as the cell from which all civilizations have stemmed.
Abolition of ALL religions established and existing so that the Luciferian ideology of totalitarianism may be imposed on mankind.

They plan, and God also plans and God is the best of planners.

You're assuming the existence of both, neither of which has been satisfactorily proven. Besides, how can the abolition of religion equate losing property or patriotism? I don't need a god to be kind, have good, or do good.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Right I do not agree with Russia banning a bible but suspect the Russian orthodoxy may have had a say in this rather than a lapse back to communist rules.
But I can understand a nation trying to protect itself from material that may cause social decay, change or collapse and wonder why they did not ban the Koran as that should have been there target.

What was it about this bible that riled up the Orthodoxy?.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Sounds about right. The Russian Patriarchate seems to be on a bit on an empire-building kick lately, what with being so tight with Putin and all. Plus, it doesn't take much to get an EO riled...I know most of 'em don't like the KJV, and have been trying for years to get a single translation for all jurisdictions.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The Jehovah's Witnesses are not a 'Christian minority'. They're not Christian. They are a cult and so are LDS. The NWT is a perversion of the Holy Bible.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Will this curtail them coming to My door? If "Yes" I'm ALL for it...

Your 'rights' cease when You come onto My property and try to talk Me into something.. I have a sign that reads:

"No Solicitors, this includes religions, any, ALL or even if they are 'the only one'..

Yet, they still come knocking.. Usually a couple of Women and 1 carries what appears to be a baby, they never get up the walkway before the dogs alert to their presence..

If You can GUARANTEE I'd never be bothered again by these "peddlers" then I'd scoff at this proposal..

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoaringHawk83

The Jehovah's Witnesses are not a 'Christian minority'. They're not Christian. They are a cult and so are LDS. The NWT is a perversion of the Holy Bible.

False Statements are just as bad as Fake News.

Truth In Translation........

In order to assess the reliability of the translators’ work, Jason BeDuhn, associate professor of religious studies at Northern Arizona University, in Flagstaff, Arizona, U.S.A., examined and compared for accuracy eight major translations, including the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, published by Jehovah’s Witnesses. The result?

While critical of some of its translation choices, BeDuhn called the New World Translation a “remarkably good” translation, “better by far” and “consistently better” than some of the others considered. Overall, concluded BeDuhn, the New World Translation “is one of the most accurate English translations of the New Testament currently available” and “the most accurate of the translations compared.”—Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament.

BeDuhn noted, too, that many translators were subject to pressure “to paraphrase or expand on what the Bible does say in the direction of what modern readers want and need it to say.” On the other hand, the New World Translation is different, observed BeDuhn, because of “the greater accuracy of the NW as a literal, conservative translation of the original expressions of the New Testament writers.”

The Russian government doesn't understand that they can just switch to this bible.

KJV With Divine Name

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

It would be ironic if true since all of those countries have Christian majorities (though Russia barely qualifies).

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
Ok this isn't good at all, christian religious minorities are like the canary in the coal mine warning of more oppressive measures that are coming.

Putin himself attends the Russian Orthodox Church. It must be something to do with the JW's posture, or the books contents.
Even the Bible has 'versions' for better or worse, you can yada on forever about that, better still if you are a Biblical scholar. I'm not sure that it should be a banned book though.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

The Moscow-based Sova Center, which monitors the misuse of extremism legislation, criticized the "invalidity, helplessness, and glaring absurdity" of the panel's findings."It's just a typical translation," Aleksandr Verkhovsky, Sova's director, told RFE/RL. "It differs a little, of course, in language. There is always a variation between translations. It is not fundamentally different [from other versions of the Bible]."He added: "It's written in more modern language, and there is a certain difference [in the translation] which reflects their religious beliefs. Some things are written, for instance, with a small letter, not with a big letter. Or where different names for God are used, [the Jehovah's Witnesses] write Jehovah everywhere. That's the level [of variation that] we're talking about."

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Why is it such a big deal to just tell them to go away?

Oh no! Someone knocked on my door so I have to hate God now.

Give me a break.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

So those in the US want to dictate what happens in Russia but get all sookie la la about maybe the Russians being involved in the elections and trump becomming president but have no issues about bitching and moaning and pressuring the Russians to do what you want

Can you not see the hypocrisy...

Thank you USA for Mormonism, Scientology and the JW.org
We as a world are really grateful

edit on 19-8-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Um...no. Those of us in the US are commenting , not dictating what Russia should decide.
Personally since the tossed out huge chunks of the Bible during the deal at Nicea I would'n't swear ANY of us have a accurate copy of the Bible.

Last I paid attention Russia wasn't all that hot about Witnesses bringing the word of anything to anyone, the smackdown on their version of the bible seems to be just another tool to get them to leave. I could be off base but most of the country is Russian Orthodox or Muslim correct? Buddhist in eastern Russia? You have to ask yourself where the LDL'ers get off seeing this as a challenge to convert people who are content with their beliefs?

It's always struck me as quite an arrogant attitude.
YMMV of course.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricFeel
They plan but God also plans and God is the best of planners.

This made me laugh quite a bit.

So it must have been God's plan all along for man to sin, fall from grace, allow wickedness to fester in the world, send a global deluge to destroy all but seven people and some animals, have Cain murder Able, change his mind about foreskins, and...... fast forward to when he sacrifices his own son. Need I continue?

What kind of world do you think this God is building?

The exact same kind you accuse his adversary of working to create.

Do you think there is a place for the non believers in God's brave new world?

Please tell me some nasty things that Satan is responsible for, from the Bible.

I don't have a horse in this race, but from where I'm standing, he doesn't look like the bad guy. Just some of my personal opinions. Cheers!

In regards to the OP. I disagree with banning the book and think that determined people will still be able to find it. Online especially, if nowhere else.

edit on 8-19-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

No they didn't toss anything out in Nicea, that's a little ignorant

It's funny watching the US implode, from within, extremists, this and that, a civil war almost erupting and people in the US Bitchin about the fact the Russians are sick of JWs, maybe scientologiests
Who could have imagined
Just because the US is a basket case of crazy religions doesn't make it mandatory for other country's to follow
Spaghetti monsters and jedis, but what ever floats your boat
Let stupidity rein

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join