It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question about Sept. 11, 2001

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I mean this as an honest and sincere question. There is no conspiracy implied here, I am honestly just wondering about the answer and welcome input from others. ...

I wonder what people will think 1,000 years from now about the events of September 11, 2001, in a country which was known as the United States of America?

I wonder if they will remember it?

I wonder if they will even care?

Will it have been eclipsed by some other Earth shaking event which overshadowed it?

Will it have mattered in the grander scheme of things?

Or will it just be relegated into a history 'book' sandwiched between atomic bombs and war, just another chapter?

I wonder...

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Presuming that there is anyone around to remember it in 1,000 years' time, I should imagine that it will be regarded in a similar way to the wooden horse of the siege of Troy. That is to say, it will be vaguely familiar to lots of people, mainly as a metaphor for letting your guard down, and there will still be people arguing over whether or not it was technically possible.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It might be on a level with the events of 1066, which are still signficant because they introduced a change of direction.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It was a major impact on the U.S., not unlike the attack on Pearl Harbor, or other "trigger" events throughout the world such as the "Gulf of Tonkin" incident, the assassination of "Archduke Franz Ferdinand", or the "Reichstag fire".

Many government agencies were formed or restructured as a result, and many of the rights U.S. citizens enjoyed were infringed upon. It was a turning point for the country.

Certainly the attack on the World Trade Centers will be remember for hundreds of years, perhaps longer.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Will it have been eclipsed by some other Earth shaking event which overshadowed it?

^^^^This!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I've wondered the same thing in the past and I think the events of the next 20 or so years will dictate the major long term significance of 9/11.

Basically if humanity doesn't use the device of 9/11 as a catalyst towards altering the future, it will probably fade into obscurity in the next few hundred years.

Unless we become extinct first.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

In a 1,000 years? I'd opine they "Would Have" but protesters in the year 2054 end up destroying the 911-Monument when it is finally 'official' 9/11 was an "Inside Job" Interestingly, it isn't just "others" ripping them down, it is everyone and it is only then, when 'Polite Society' figure out that there are far more of "Us" then "Them"...

While these riots go on, I wonder what 'they' are sliding through the back door?

I'll go out on a limb and the same 'turf' destroyed today will be HIGH $$$$ digs when the dust settles.

edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: spellin fo paw and bad gramma

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The thought of humans making it another 1,000 years without some sort of great "reset " is not seeming very likely.

But there is memory of America ,I'm sure there'll be memory of 9/11.

Of course that is unless it isn't deemed offensive somewhere down the line.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I mean this as an honest and sincere question. There is no conspiracy implied here, I am honestly just wondering about the answer and welcome input from others. ...

I wonder what people will think 1,000 years from now about the events of September 11, 2001, in a country which was known as the United States of America?

I wonder if they will remember it?

I wonder if they will even care?

Will it have mattered in the grander scheme of things?

Or will it just be relegated into a history 'book' sandwiched between atomic bombs and war, just another chapter?

I wonder...

Nobody will be able to answer this question considering we wont know where we will be in a thousand years. We may be none existance by then and nothing more then a memory of the cosmos.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

It's totally unclear if it will even be mentioned in 100 years, much less a 1000.
And in what context will it be spoken of?

Will there even be people to speak of it?

No clue...

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: audubon

Presuming that there is anyone around to remember it in 1,000 years' time, I should imagine that it will be regarded in a similar way to the wooden horse of the siege of Troy. That is to say, it will be vaguely familiar to lots of people, mainly as a metaphor for letting your guard down, and there will still be people arguing over whether or not it was technically possible.

I have to say that I think this is an excellent reply. Very astute.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
In a hundred years most of us will have faded into oblivion. In a thousand years the US will probably be a foot note, in ten thousands years humans will look like the Grays.

The memories of 9/11 won't last long unless they are reinforced by something, perhaps a nice monument for our ancestors to be offended by.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

It'll have just as much importance as Pearl Harbor, the Gulf of Tonkin, the Lusitania, the "yellow journalism" that sparked the Spanish-American War, and every other pretext for our largest wars. As in, historians and history students may learn about them, but most normal citizens won't know much or care much about them.

Think of it like this, what are the major catastrophes that led to specific Mongol military campaigns? Or specific Roman military campaigns? Or specific British military campaigns? Or specific military campaigns in the various Crusades? From my experience, people only talk about the actual wars, individual battles within those wars, casualties, and the results. The official reasons for going to war tend to get lost over time.

Plus 1,000 years is a long time. 1,000 years ago, the man who would become known as Chinggis Khagan/"Genghis Khan" was still 150 years away from being born. For all we know, English may become a forgotten language by then and our recorded materials may not even be understood. Imagine 20 years worth of data being stored on a vast collection of 8-track tapes or DATs (digital audio tapes).

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

And the people of that time will tear out the pages about it... and pull down the statues dedicated to it.

Hmmmm.... Seems familiar right now...

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Very 'enlightened' response.

... people only talk about the actual wars, individual battles within those wars, casualties, and the results.

I'm not sure completely I agree with the Lusitania or Gulf of Tonkin, but the others, yes (more just a matter of degree).

Thank you.

edit on 8/19/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
A thousand years from now? America itself would probably be remembered as Atlantis is now. Legends and half forgotten stories of a powerful nation that ruled the world and had amazing technologies before the gods struck it down. But they'll still have weird artifacts like a rusted out car frame found buried in a concrete tomb they called a parking ramp. And a bunch of those plastic and metal shells they called Iphones.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Isnt the world , or as we know it , supposed to end Monday ?
And I guess "eclipsed" would be the correct word
The above statement would get my vote

edit on 8/19/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ntech

I remember watching that movie, I was 5 then (my sister felt it important for me to see, despite the rating).

I remember when, at the beginning, they crash landed in the water. I wondered then if they had just returned to Earth many millenniums later. I credit this movie with forming my earliest desires to study physics, and my later (college years) intense interest in theoretical physics.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Sorry, I meant it more like "1,000 years from now, people will think about Sept 11th the same way they'll think about the other events that led to our other wars".

A while ago, I was reading about the "Scramble for Africa" pre-WWI and how some of the European empires were using the abolition of slavery as one of the pretexts for the invasions. In retrospect, it seems ridiculous that people would believe they were "freeing" entire kingdoms by killing, conquering, oppressing, and exploiting the people there. But the European citizens probably weren't aware of the atrocities being committed there because their press likely only reported official accounts of events.

Many of the more current wars and their pretexts seem just as ridiculous. One of the ways the war in Afghanistan was sold to the American left wing was the oppression of women in Afghanistan. It's a noble cause to want to help women around the world, but I failed to see how it's helping them when we're killing their family members, destroying their neighborhoods, and seizing their land for our uses. A few decades from now, I don't think anyone will even remember the "we need to save the Afghan women" pretext.

In fact, many people have already forgotten that, just as many people have already forgotten the similar pretext with Operation Desert Storm & Saddam's alleged killings of Iraqi babies in hospitals (it might have been Kuwaiti babies, apparently I've also forgotten). I'm not saying the events themselves are true or false; I'm just saying that most people seem to remember what came next much more.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

No, I really did understand what you were saying.

This response is also excellent.

ETA...you and I don't always agree, but I just wanted you to know I read every post objectively and evaluate each and every one. (contrary to what some may believe). I thought your post was very good, and I wanted to celebrate it as such. To me, everyone has a valid opinion...I don't always agree with all of them, but they're darn sure entitled to them, and they are welcome (at least in my world).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join