It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Third World USA -- Hepatitis outbreak killing San Diego's homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
A Hepatitis A outbreak amongst the homeless population has so far killed 11 people and hospitalized over a hundred people in San Diego. The primary cause seems to be a lack of clean water so people can wash their hands. Just another unintended consequence of Washington's economic and immigration policies that are pushing more and more Americans into the street.

en.wikipedia.org...
It is usually spread by eating food or drinking water contaminated with infected feces.

www.beckershospitalreview.com...
Health officials on July 28 confirmed three additional deaths in San Diego County's ongoing hepatitis A outbreak, bringing the total number of deaths related to the outbreak, which began in November, to eight. (now 11)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Just another unintended consequence of Washington's economic and immigration policies that are pushing more and more Americans into the street.

You can hardly blame washington for the peoples republic of californias problems.

I hope they do secede.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: starviego

And here we are. The Great Unwashed. It's what The Elite want for us. It's how they think the world should be. They sit in their clean, well stocked palatial, fortresses looking down on the rest of us scrounging through their crumbs and castaways. It is the Natural Order of Things.

Weren't they advocating fewer showers in California anyway? Can't have all these plebs using too much water that rightfully belongs to the wealthy.

Who cares if the homeless die? Poverty is just a result of poor morals anyway right?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
You can hardly blame washington for the peoples republic of californias problems.

What?? Other states don't have masses of homeless too?

--------------------

The City of San Diego has responded by pushing vaccinations on the homeless population and distrubuting Handi-Wipes. No access to clean water though. That would be too humane. Stay classy, San Diego!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The primary cause seems to be a lack of clean water so people can wash their hands.

So is drug use. Sharing needles, passing a pipe or a joint.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

And here we are. The Great Unwashed. It's what The Elite want for us. It's how they think the world should be. They sit in their clean, well stocked palatial, fortresses ... Who cares if the homeless die? Poverty is just a result of poor morals anyway right?

Damn, you beat me to it.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The primary cause seems to be a lack of clean water so people can wash their hands.

Apparently not. Apparently, it's all Washington's fault. Apparently it's all on the government's shoulders. Apparently, personal responsibility has no place in this discussion.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
A Hepatitis A outbreak amongst the homeless population has so far killed 11 people and hospitalized over a hundred people in San Diego. The primary cause seems to be a lack of clean water so people can wash their hands. Just another unintended consequence of Washington's economic and immigration policies that are pushing more and more Americans into the street.

Health officials on July 28 confirmed three additional deaths in San Diego County's ongoing hepatitis A outbreak, bringing the total number of deaths related to the outbreak, which began in November, to eight. (now 11)

How is lack of clean water for hand washing "another unintended consequence of Washington's economic and immigration policies that are pushing more and more Americans into the street?" Requiring prospective immigrants to follow the law pushes Americans into the street and removes access to clean water?
Maybe there is another reason for the outbreak. Eleven dead since November is about 1 per month. Check Chicago's murder rate and re-check your irate meter.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: intrptr

Apparently not. Apparently, it's all Washington's fault. Apparently it's all on the government's shoulders. Apparently, personal responsibility has no place in this discussion.

'Third World' isn't in L.A., thats the one we bomb overseas.

Pay your tax today?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Not like they apparently have in California. Whether they migrate out there from other places or it's a consequence of California's restrictive land use policies that drive up real estate prices making development difficult and costly, California really does have a massive problem.

I won't say there aren't homeless where I live because there are, but not like they describe in other cities around the country.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Maybe all the illegal immigrants should pack up and go home and give the homeless their homes.

Since they've no right to be here to begin with.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
How is lack of clean water for hand washing "another unintended consequence of Washington's economic and immigration policies that are pushing more and more Americans into the street?" Requiring prospective immigrants to follow the law pushes Americans into the street and removes access to clean water?

You can't let in more than a million immigrants a year and not have a constant, ongoing housing crisis. If you can understand the game of 'musical chairs,' you can understand why we have so many homeless. There are always more people looking for housing than there are houses.
edit on 19-8-2017 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
So, they are blaming it on not washing their hands. Where did this disease come from? What changed, they have not had clean water to wash their hands all along, somehow the Hep A got introduced into the population.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

You can't let in more than a million immigrants a year and not have a constant, ongoing housing crisis. If you can understand the game of 'musical chairs,' you can understand why we have so many homeless. There are always more people looking for housing than there are houses.

Are we discussing legal immigrants or illegal immigrants?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

What difference does it make? They are taking up scarce housing units that I believe should be saved for Americans.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

What difference does it make? They are taking up scarce housing units that I believe should be saved for Americans.

Federal immigration policy that was called out as the problem is the difference. Note that it is difficult to reverse the problem of illegals in 7 months.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Legal immigrants ARE US citizens.
With that said , I agree
And dont stop with housing. Jobs , financial assistance , medical care , education...all being drained.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
So, they are blaming it on not washing their hands. Where did this disease come from? What changed, they have not had clean water to wash their hands all along, somehow the Hep A got introduced into the population.

Perhaps, or could it simply be lack of sanitation breeds disease, I imagine just from what I see in smaller cities that is some of the real scummy areas all sorts of nasties are festering.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: rickymouse

Perhaps, or could it simply be lack of sanitation breeds disease, I imagine just from what I see in smaller cities that is some of the real scummy areas all sorts of nasties are festering.

It has been that way all along.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I found this while reading updates that I will post below.

The outbreak was caused by strains of the 1B genetic subtype, which is rare in the United States and more commonly found in the Mediterranean and South Africa. It is spread through contact with feces, putting people with inadequate access to sanitation at highest risk.

abcnews.go.com, Oct 13 - California declares emergency to fight hepatitis A outbreak

It is not the "normal" Hep-A strain but a variant that's causing all the damage.

The governor called it a "state of emergency" on Friday, Oct. 13

Saan Diego’s hepatitis A outbreak added another death Tuesday, pushing the total to 19 as the number of confirmed cases passed 500.

Los Angeles Times, Oct. 17, 2017 - Death toll from San Diego hepatitis A outbreak rises to 19; more than 500 cases confirmed.

On Tuesday, the new figures came in and there are a confirmed 507 cases in San Diego. There are 47 more cases pending verification with the CDC.

The virus is transmitted from faeces to mouth, which means it is most likely to spread in unsanitary conditions.

More than 5,000 people are sleeping unsheltered in San Diego - a 10% increase from the year before - according to a recent study by the Regional Task Force on the Homeless.

Cases have also been reported in Santa Cruz and Los Angeles counties as well as in San Francisco in northern California, where officials say they have vaccinated thousands of homeless people.

BBCnews.com, California hepatitis A outbreak death toll climbs to 19.

You read that right: Fecal-oral route. Usually that is from close quarters, unsanitary conditions, contaminated food, or bad drinking water. The noro virus of cruise ship fame is another example of a virus spread that way. That one is insidious because it can live on surface out of a human host for a long period of time.

I first heard of this transmission route after a social gathering I did not attend involved a dozen people getting sick. I read a CDC paper that mentioned that as one vector for the one people caught. It would later be found that somebody changed their kid's diaper and did not clean up after themselves all that well. The whole restaurant never really recovered and eventually closed. Yuk!

The state of emergency allows the governor to release funding which has happened. They ordered 18,000 Hep-A vaccines. There is a person from the CDC on loan studying a methodology in containment the state could follow.

The BBC article says this may take a year or more to subside.

new topics

top topics

join