It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

really sucks when the landlord sells the house youre living in

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
major bummer.
not sold yet but he told me yesterday that he has to sell the house we are living in. he seems to think best case situation for me is 3-4 months. better than 30 days i guess but it still sucks.
we just got a little beagle a couple months ago. thats going to make it harder to find another place.

when we met him he and his wife said they wanted a family that would want to be here long term.
i guess 4 years is long term....

im super pissed but not really at him. more at the situation.

we did not have a lifetime compact you know. first year was a lease but it has been month to month since then. guess i just figured we would be all good.

so of course i have no money saved not ready for it at all.
a couple months ago i had a few grand but i bought a car.

it is not quite september and the leaves are already falling which means its going to be cold in no time.

major drag. looking for a house to rent. no money saved. my daughter starts school on the 5th which means my wife can drive her to and from even if we move out of the district which i dont want to do but then for 1st grade she has to switch school. that sucks

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Financing is much cheaper than renting.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

and if financing was an option i would do it

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

a lot of sucks there in your life at the moment. i hear you. but please do keep up a positive attitude. in all those sucks there are many good lucks for you also.

wish you all the best. all will work out just fine if not better !

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Said everybody that never owned a house.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Sorry to hear that. A home is among the basic needs of any human; food, clothing, shelter. When those are met the other needs can be fulfilled; food for thought, a personality like clothing to wear and a spiritual home at least a room in the House of God or any religious authority.

I'm just hoping societies will build homes for free for people to live in. Just the pressure of losing ones home giving unless a person appeases another would change a lot. It's not unrealistic; I've read the Chinese actually build millions of homes to replace the slums they have, they have entire ghost towns although that is not intentional. Wish my government would do that I'd rather have a free house I'd own which would be less than the one I'm paying for.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Well, one 'sorta' bright side...it's a lot better to be switching your daughter's school in 1st grade than it is to be switching in 8th or 9th grade...or high school.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

And leaving a comment stating the obvious, is much easier than saying anything useful to the op's said problem..

back on topic. . Where do you live?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Well, one 'sorta' bright side...it's a lot better to be switching your daughter's school in 1st grade than it is to be switching in 8th or 9th grade...or high school.

for sure.
i just want things to be smooth for her.
we are going to look at a house today. few bucks more than i wanted to spend but i can cover it. very good school district too. better than the one we are in now

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Gosh all of that does suck. I wonder if you know his motivation for selling it? Would he at all be willing to hold off he three months until you were able to save for the down payment and investigate getting financed? I know that you said it wasn't an option but, where I live there are first time buyer help and the local housing authority even assists some with getting financing who may otherwise not qualify. I think it involves some classes, credit repair which some retired local folks assist with , etc. Perhaps there may be something like this in your area?

I've owned homes in the past but, for the last maybe 15 years or so I have rented. I prefer to be able to cut and run and when that day comes owning a home would be too much baggage.

When I was raising 5 children and my mother lived with me I thought it would be impossible to find suitable rental housing. I put ads out on local social media and websites (Local sales network, FB rental home pages, etc). I thought the ad would either make folks cringe or they would appreciate my honesty. It was something to the effect of "3 adults/5 children who do not wish to share the same bathroom, 3 dogs, a cat and fish looking for a reasonably sized home. We have construction/remodeling experience and are willing to make it our home with love and care. Not afraid of work and would be willing to negotiate work and material in exchange for consideration and/or deposit" or something similar, it's been awhile ago. I was finally connected with someone who had a home and was happy to rent to us. He too had a large family (from adoption) and I feel fortunate that he understood my dilemma.

I'm hoping you find a good landlord and suitable home quickly if you aren't able or decide to not try to purchase the current one yourself. Starting the search is sometimes the hardest part and with winter coming my advice is to get started now...ask your current landlord if he would forego some of the upcoming rent if you are willing to help work on getting it ready to sell...the usual...like new paint, clean gutters, trim trees and the like.
Good luck truly!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I've been the landlord that has had people just move out without a word.
That sucks too. Usually they destroy something or don't bother paying the last utility bills.

When you get good renters you like to keep them but they are always the ones that buy a house.

Good luck,

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If you have a signed lease the new owner has to honor that lease. It will be part of the purchasing agreement that he/she has to sign at closing. Just fyi.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Uuughh i Know
Happened to us many years ago,three times in the timeframe of 4 years.Hubby(boyfriend back then) myself and my daughter first went to live wirh his parents for a while while hubby was unemployed,he was a contract worker back then.They decided to sell their house due to financial difficulties.Hubby was employed again by this time,and our daughter together had been born.

So he rented a house in the same suburb for us and his parents.After we're there for a year,owner sells,we have to move.To a Really nice double storey house in the same suburb,with a smaller garden but a pool and lapa.I loved living in that house,but bit more than a year later,same story.I was very sad,and upset but what can you do? On to yet another house in the same suburb,a house i disliked immensely,so when after the same thing happened after bit more than a year,i was actually happy this time.

We were married by then,had 2 kids and 3 dogs,moved into another suburb and bought a house.He was still a contract worker though,so at a time he was unemployed,we sold the house for a very small profit and moved out here in the Bush in Mpumalanga province when he got a permanent job.And here we will stay till he retires

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

But if you plan on staying somewhere for a while, buying will get cheaper and cheaper as time passes due to inflation. I know inflation is fricken evil but sometimes it can be used to ones advantage.

When I first purchased, my mortgage+insurance+taxes was about even with a 2br rental, as the years have passed I am probably only paying 2/3rds, maybe even 1/2 of what it takes to rent a 2br around here. But you have to be a greedy mofo and buy something that is smart and not extravagant. Buying smart includes looking at roofing replacement and internal component replacements. I also bought as small as I could while still being comfortable and didn't go for the best neighborhood to minimize the taxes.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

he told me yesterday that he has to sell the house we are living in. he seems to think best case situation for me is 3-4 months. better than 30 days i guess but it still sucks.

I got thirty days notice. The cottage in the back yard was ideal, close to work, owner told me he wasn't moving, "been living there for years..."

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I am in the same boat, just on the opposire side.

I have a wonderful family renting one of my houses. They are hard working, reliable, lovely people. Over the years the cost of everything has increased, but I haven't increased the rent because I know it hasn't been easy for them. The maintenance and the taxes leave little room for any profit, and now I am looking at having to refurbish the pool and redoing the roof.

Without a significant increase in the rent I am looking at a deficit, so I am thinking about selling also. I hate the thought of it, but I just may not have a choice. I know that they can't afford a raise in their rent, because the husband is in a real nasty custody battle for his daughter from another marriage. I don't get involved in my tenants personal lives, but his ex wife has shown herself to be straight from the pits of hell. She drew me into this battle with a sheath of lies she told about what she claims he is making, and how much he is paying me. Couple that with malicious vandalism of my property, caught on camera, and you get a pretty good idea of what he is dealing with.

Anyway, I understand the problems from the other side, and sometimes it is painful for both parties.

As far as buying and financing goes, don't forget to factor in the taxes, the utilities, the basic maintenance, and the cost of major replacements and repairs. A house is a major investment that when you least except it, can drain you dry.

Good luck.

edit on 19-8-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word edits.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Where do you live ? .....you can look for rentals several sites...Craig's list, local newspaper, through a realtor , Or chck out the local face book pages in your area. Usually each town has a face book page for yard sales, local gossip, what's for sale, and yard sales.....people love to post their rentals on there......I know not many like face book, but if it helps you find a place ,then use it..........and my favorite is to go to all the local bars and restaurants and ask the servers or bartenders. ....Bartenders know everything in their town . Because everyone sits at the bar and talks to them....plus a lot of contractors eat lunch at bars and talk ....the locals know !!!! Also, Most servers and bartenders in restaurants rent too, and they usually have their ear to the ground when something opening up. .....if all else fails, depending where you live maybe you can apply for low income housing .

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Said everybody that never owned a house.

We've never owned (well, except for a log house in Outer Mongolia, but that's differrent). I agree; let some other poor sap deal with property taxes, maintenance and repairs, depreciation, flaky real estate markets.

I hope you can at least get security deposits and such back so that you can apply them to the next place you move into.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

That happened to my husband and I when we were newly weds. We had a dog and a cat.
But we found a great place right on the great south bay with deep water right in our backyard. I could come home from work and dive into the canal 100 feet wide and about twenty feet deep. . It was dredged for sail boats with deep keels. There were only private homes on that canal so not a lot of boat traffic though most people had one anyway.
We even bought one a few years into living there.

So you know, this could be great. You could really love your new place even more.
Good luck.
Maybe it's time to think about buying??? Like buy the house your landlord is selling?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Ps your daughter will be just fine . She's very young and will adjust very easily. It's the older kids that have the problems there. My boy friend my girl friend my soccer team.. lol. First grade, shell make new friends because that's what little kids do. You're a good daddy to worry though.
edit on 8192017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join