It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Rare Update from Fukishima

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

that's 184,00,000 gallons

edit on 19-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Ummm...perhaps this is one of those really stupid questions...but why don't they just reuse the same water...?

Couldn't they shield some piping and use that water to run a few turbine generators...then run those shielded pipes through a heat exchanger system to cool it down and send it back through...?

YouSir

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

Trump needs to stop being a baffoon, and quickly re-direct focus and do something good for a change and stop this from happening..

Thanks for confirming that you are just a Leftist troll.
Maybe Hillary could offer one of her used Depends, that should filter out the radiation.

Its depend. Mandella effect and all.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Ummm...holy crap...that means they already released it...

No Pacific seafood for me...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

All the oceans connect to each other.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...perhaps this is one of those really stupid questions...but why don't they just reuse the same water...?

Couldn't they shield some piping and use that water to run a few turbine generators...then run those shielded pipes through a heat exchanger system to cool it down and send it back through...?

YouSir

It is groundwater passing through the reactor on its way into the ocean.

They've tried all kinds of crap: pumping water before it gets to the reactors, freezing the soil, a steel wall to stop contaminated water from reaching the ocean.

But some of it still gets through.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Isn't there beaucoup iodine in the ocean at present? Maybe the iodine will offset some of the radiation.

Besides, all those above ground nuclear tests in the '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s released a lot of radiation. IMHO, the above ground nuclear blasts released just enough radiation to affect peoples brains and started the Rock and Roll revolution!

When the radiation started subsiding, a little bit, starting in the late '80s and early '90s the music changed and now-a-days it basically sucks.

We need the radiation again, because LONG LIVE ROCK and ROLL!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Tritium has a half-life of 12.3 years.
I would worry more about a lot of other radioactive elements that have entered the food chain from Fukushima.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

Isn't there beaucoup iodine in the ocean at present? Maybe the iodine will offset some of the radiation.

Besides, all those above ground nuclear tests in the '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s released a lot of radiation. IMHO, the above ground nuclear blasts released just enough radiation to affect peoples brains and started the Rock and Roll revolution!

When the radiation started subsiding, a little bit, starting in the late '80s and early '90s the music changed and now-a-days it basically sucks.

We need the radiation again, because LONG LIVE ROCK and ROLL!!!!!!!!!

Goddamnit! That's crazy! But crazy brilliant... It just might be the kind of crazy we need. Count me in!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Problem is tritium sticks to everything. The containers, clothing, you... bad stuff to have around for 13 years. It is so interactive with everything that it is a major focus of the anti-fusion crowd (the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It, fusion, will change history).

Dumping it into the ocean is not a solution. I have no idea what they are thinking on that one. It will irradiate the plastic in the Gyres making a bad problem even worse. I think that they should pump it into old oil tankers until they can figure a way to clean the water.
edit on 19-8-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Clarity

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DancedWithWolves
The world is so not concerned with three out of control nuclear suns burning on the face of our planet, that we still think this is a great idea.

The Tokyo Summer 2020 Olympics. Yes, it'll be hot there. Great. Great idea. That'll fix it. Not. We need to be innovating nuclear containment, not building one hit wonder concrete stadiums.
Thanks for the thread. Shine a light. Fukushima still burns.

ETA: *face palm*
Just found the logo. It Looks Like A Mushroom Cloud.
MAKE IT STOP!

Wow, I had no idea Tokya was awarded the 2020 summer olympics. Is this some sort of attempt to try to 'normalize' the ongoing Fukushima toxic nightmare ?

Things that make you go, "Hmmmm".

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Problem is tritium sticks to everything. The containers, clothing, you... bad stuff to have around for 13 years. It is so interactive with everything that it is a major focus of the anti-fusion crowd (the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It, fusion, will change history).

Dumping it into the ocean is not a solution. I have no idea what they are thinking on that one. It will irradiate the plastic in the Gyres making a bad problem even worse. I think that they should pump it into old oil tankers until they can figure a way to clean the water.

Agreed, dumping it in the ocean is not a solution, and tritium is not a good thing to imtroduce into the ecosystem.
I have a feeling that they have come up with no viable solution to the problem, otherwise we would be seeing them doing something else.
My other worry is this: What is exiting the melted down core into the ground right there next to the ocean?

I don't believe what they have to say about how much damage the reactors suffered or how much radiation is currently being released into the environment.
edit on b000000312017-08-19T18:17:10-05:0006America/ChicagoSat, 19 Aug 2017 18:17:10 -0500600000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

That's an intriguing idea and I don't have an inkling of an idea.

YouSir

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Tritium has a half-life of 12.3 years.
I would worry more about a lot of other radioactive elements that have entered the food chain from Fukushima.

That is how the radionuclides enter the food chain and bioaccumulate up the food chain.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There were mass extinctions in Earth history without human pollution.

Imagine, the odds of such an event seem far more likely when we introduce mass pollution of toxins into all of these ecosystems.

Seems pretty common sense to me.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

There is no viable solution to a melt down.

That's why all nuclear reactors need to be decommissioned immediately.

It's far safer to burn oil and coal, as crazy as that sounds.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

It's like saying, "Gee, sorry for your luck at Fukushima but, hey, here's the Olympics! Build that stadium and they will come!"

At least they won't have to use any power to heat the Olympic pool.

Hmmmmmmmm

a reply to: muzzleflash

Yet.
No viable option, yet. It's the only way I stay sane sometimes, in the face of such disaster.
There are so many great minds in our world. Maybe someday...

But since we're on ATS...

Let's get Star Trek for a moment because, well it's the internet on a Saturday. What if we could encase it in a Dyson Sphere and harness the fission, someday? I mean they've tried diapers so there is no left field for ideas anymore.

Or...
Since we have now cracked the Alchemists' secret, well, not me but, really smart people did.

Only the mercury isotope 196Hg, which occurs with a frequency of 0.15% in natural mercury, can be converted togold by slow neutron capture, and following electron capture, decay intogold's only stable isotope, 197Au.

Anyone else tempted to dump a ton of mercury around the cores (once you find them)?

And see if it will become this.

Isn't gold a good radiation shield?

We'll just encase it in Mercury that turns to Gold, then get around to building that Dyson Sphere.

Yea, problem solved!

I need a beverage...refill!
Peace

Source
Source

edit on 19-8-2017 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

There really is no downside to this.

GOJIRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DancedWithWolves
a reply to: CranialSponge

Yet.
No viable option, yet. It's the only way I stay sane sometimes, in the face of such disaster.
There are so many great minds in our world. Maybe someday...

Peace

Right you are. Years ago I worked in aerospace and worked with brilliant people in many fields and all I could think about was how nice life could be if all the brainpower and resources we put into killing people was put to good use - to productive live affirming use.

Sigh. If we made decisions from a place of hope rather then a place of fear. Sigh.

edit on 27-8-2017 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join