It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Col. Tye Seidule PhD Head of Dept Of History West Point "Was the Civil War About Slavery".. Yes

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
A hair below forced labor and torture where your children are born to be slaves as well....

So being killed is not as bad as not being killed. We disagree on our assessments.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: dragonridr
No its not...

I see, you're of the mindset that some slavery is not as bad as others, I don't morally equivocate slavery. Slavery in all forms is vile.

Oh you your so clever( slow clap). Did that make you feel good trying to make moral equivalence's where they don't apply. To a native amarican it was just simply a lower status in the tribe until they earned respect. They were not forced to do anything others were not. The closest thing in western culture was an indentured servant. But even that isn't quite the same but thus is what happens when you try to compare different cultures.

By the way after a couple of years they all ways ended up part of the tribe. Because native amarican saw this as vital as it brought in new blood. By the way many historians didn't even consider it slavery but put it under the catagory of prisoners of war.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Oh you your so clever( slow clap).

Thank you, glad you noticed.

Did that make you feel good trying to make moral equivalence's where they don't apply.

There certainly is moral equivalency being applied, see the above few posts where some forms of slavery are much more appealing than others.

To a native amarican it was just simply a lower status in the tribe until they earned respect.

I guess you missed the part about ritual sacrifice and torture. How much 'earned respect' did that get them to be tortured and ritually sacrificed?

Enslaved warriors sometimes endured mutilation or torture that could end in death as part of a grief ritual for relatives slain in battle.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I haven't read much about Na slavery. But a big difference seems to be the na offered the warriors a dignified way to die. And other methods of getting freedom. A captured African was doomed from ever seeing his country and family til death.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

If those are the worst quotes the article had I think that makes that point..

That is WAY milder than chattle slavery..

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

If you bothered to pick up a book you would see why I said it wasn't slavery in the normal sense. For one they would do the same thing to someone convicted of a crime. It was more a social status. After they paid their dues they would be reinstated as a member of the tribe.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
But a big difference seems to be the na offered the warriors a dignified way to die.

What's dignified about ritual torture and sacrifice? That was rhetorical, we both know the answer is nothing.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

If those are the worst quotes the article had I think that makes that point..

That is WAY milder than chattle slavery..

You're entitled to your view that ritual torture and sacrifice are not as bad as other forms of slavery.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

If you bothered to pick up a book you would see why I said it wasn't slavery in the normal sense.

Did you write a book? I must have missed it. I'll stick to what the published authors are saying and you're ignoring.

For one they would do the same thing to someone convicted of a crime. It was more a social status. After they paid their dues they would be reinstated as a member of the tribe.

How does a slave tortured and sacrificed for compensatory purposes pay anything or get themselves reinstated? Again, rhetorical, we know they don't.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Oh I bet you would agree including your descendents for all eternity makes it worse.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Oh I bet you would agree including your descendents for all eternity makes it worse.

Then you'd be wrong since I already don't agree. But thanks for trying to tell me what I should be thinking.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Not sure where this thread ended up exactly.

BUT

Sure, it was about Slavery. It was about the North telling the south what they could or could NOT do. The South wanted their own rights and their own laws.

If the south won the Civil War then what? We'd all go back to the same united country and slavery would be legal?

NOPE.

The south would have been their own country and had their own laws, including slavery.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

The carry over to the enslaved's children...

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The carry over to the enslaved's children...

Dead people have nothing, including potentially, no children.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Lol. And you know ritual sacrifice and torture was respected among warriors tribes. Like the Vikings.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr and Joshuacox

Both of you are wrong on so many levels, go to the library and read a book or something, geez.

Before and during the Civil war there was this thing called Tariff of Abominations. There's a reason for so much brass antitques from the south, because the main grievance of the Southern states was---dun dun duuuun---> Tariffs!

edit on 21-8-2017 by CraftyArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Lol. And you know ritual sacrifice and torture was respected among warriors tribes. Like the Vikings.

I'm glad your lol'ing about how cool it is to be tortured and killed. Who cares what bunch of barbarian turd blossoms thinks it's cool or not.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Democrats want to take down the "confederate statues" as the first step in their new attempt to re-write American history, and American laws. That, alongside winning the votes of groups like BLM are the only reasons the DNC are doing this.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I'm saying that if someone did a piece on chattle slavery, the examples of brutality would be WAY WORSE..

Hypothetically they are trying to make the point the Indians had slavery and would be providing worst case scenarios..

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

You mean like pretending the civil war wasn't about slavery???

When literally every historian will concede that freely..

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join