It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Col. Tye Seidule PhD Head of Dept Of History West Point "Was the Civil War About Slavery".. Yes

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

John brown has got to be one of the more influential nobodies in history..

Just like the guy who assassibated the arch duke Ferdinand..

The really crazy thing about him is he was maybe the only person in that time with a modern view of race relations...

While basically everyone else (abolitionists included) could make your average modern KKK member blush..

John brown was literally willing to give his life to abolish slavery and give all Americans the same rights.

He was just a super interesting figure..

A failure AT everything else he ever did and ends up making the history books..

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox
Actually John Brown is among my favorite characters of that era, I'm currently in between laptop right now so I cant make a proper thread, but I really want to create a thread dedicated to him.
I mean the man was a god fearing Christian, yet one of his largest financial backers was none other than Marie Laveau , wealthy voodoo queen of New Orleans, one of whose descendants I'm friends with.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

You sure??

I've never heard that part..

Just that he was a failure at every buisness venture he ever tried lol..

I'm always fascinated by these nobodies who changed the world.. as well as the extremists who were not just paying lip service to their beliefs..

They were literally ready to die for it...

That said I'm not sure if the should totally be glorified as he was an antebellum example of the most extreme of violent protestors..

That said though I'm not sure he just wasn't ahead of his time..

By that I mean if you took a modern American, with modern morality back to that time period. How do they react to slavery???

Do they fall in line???

Peacefully protest??

Or go crazy and start murdering slave owners??

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I started a thread on it too, but here is a great video of a confederate soldier at 101 giving an interview.. and yes he says it was about slavery..lol

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Striking down an evil institution by any means necessary including violent means I have no problem With, the founding fathers and patriots had less reasons than slaves and their allies to use violence, 2nd I am ex military they sure as heck put us through insensitivity training during boot camp, and further training, then there is my own ancestral family history as Maroons.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not for violence where peaceful non violent means can resolve problems and should be exhausted first.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Fair enough.. but when that line is crossed is super subjective....

Every other day republicans claim Obamacare is slavery, or what have you.

That said there was no noticeable push in the south for emancipation and pretty much every historian agrees it was browns actions that lit the spark..

Hell actually you might can pin it more on the fire eaters than brown...

Brown was really just a talking point for their power play...

As I think about it I just started a thread saying "here's who really started the civil war." refering to the fire eaters.

I kinda think that is where a lot of propaganda comes from..
we allowed people like Jeff Davis and Robert ELee. To take the blame, when they both knew it was a crap idea...they just rebelled out of a misplaced sense of loyalty..

The actual dirtbag politicians get forgotten, and thus allow all kinds factoids to muddy the water..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

John brown has got to be one of the more influential nobodies in history..

Just like the guy who assassibated the arch duke Ferdinand..

The really crazy thing about him is he was maybe the only person in that time with a modern view of race relations...

While basically everyone else (abolitionists included) could make your average modern KKK member blush..

John brown was literally willing to give his life to abolish slavery and give all Americans the same rights.

He was just a super interesting figure..

A failure AT everything else he ever did and ends up making the history books..

I think his failed raid, though was a thing that got people fired up. It was a flash point/Tipping point that led to the Civil war.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Yes and no...

Yes he was the talking point they used, but the important political moments all still happen reguardless....

The southern "fire eaters" still have their plan to reopen the international slave trade and supply the newly proposed western states with slaves and Lincoln still has the plan to make all the new western states free states.

Could the fire eaters have talked everyone into succession WITHOUT the john brown raid???

I don't think we could guarentee no.. hell they could even false flag it...and fake an event..

Now that I think about it.. didn't the raid spark the democrats to split, which is the only reason lincoin won???

Maybe we are right back to brown did it after all lol...

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join