It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Col. Tye Seidule PhD Head of Dept Of History West Point "Was the Civil War About Slavery".. Yes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
So there's something I keep seeing in all of these threads that has me baffled.

So many, and I mean SO many people here keep defending the Confederate Flag, and defending Confederate Statues/Monuments claiming that they arent treasonous, and that they dont represent slavery and oppression of POC because the Civil War wasnt about slavery, it was about taxes and 50 other things, and slavery was just a shoe in. Everyone keeps telling me and other left wingers on this site "You need to re-learn some history"

Here we have a decorated Col. who is THE HEAD of the Dept. of History at West Point. So essentially you could say he is not only an authority on history, but you could say he is THE authority on U.S. Military history.

He says right in the very beginning..

Was the American Civil War fought because of slavery? More than 150 years later this remains a controversial question.... Why? Because many people dont want to believe that the citizens of the Southern states were willing to fight and die to preserve a morally repugnant institution. There has to be another reason we are told. There isnt.

So I call on all the the right wingers and moderates on this site, to please stop trying to use the excuse and the notion that slavery was an afterthought and not the main driving force behind the Civil War.

The Colonel in the quick 5 minute video gives a VERY detailed explanation on why slavery was the reason for the civil war, and that slavery was what the confederacy represented.

This is our own military not only stating this, but teaching it to our troops at West Point.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I agree with this video but when i show my leftist friends any other videos from this site, its biased and untrue....but this one counts... blows my mind!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

So I call on all the the right wingers and moderates on this site, to please stop trying to use the excuse and the notion that slavery was an afterthought and not the main driving force behind the Civil War.

What about the 'left-wingers' who cling to the party that wanted to uphold slavery?

If that doesn't get you to see how the Civil-War wasn't simple black and white, I'm not sure what will.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   
WHy don't you all find out who threw the African people into slavery in the first place.

Try researching honest history.

P

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
WHy don't you all find out who threw the African people into slavery in the first place.

Try researching honest history.

P

Sorry,
You should take a few economics classes, the supply wouldnt have kept coming had there been no demand.
Nice try though

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishtruckie83

I tend to believe anything a group says bad about themselves...

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

If it wasn't for the GOP taking all those people in, they would have half of minorities....

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

What would that have to do with the civil war???

How would that have ANY relevance???

"Because African kings used to sell slaves, that obviously means the American civil war wasn't fought over slavery... "

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
What I find ironic is that I could have sworn that it was the far left I kept getting into debates with about a decade ago that were adamant that the Civil War wasn't about slavery.

Politics & history I can debate. But it is really hard to keep up with psychosis.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   

What about the 'left-wingers' who cling to the party that wanted to uphold slavery?

If that doesn't get you to see how the Civil-War wasn't simple black and white, I'm not sure what will.

The Democrats aren't supportive of slavery now because they changed. In fact, a lot of Democrats want to take down Confederate flags and even the statue of Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville. The Confederacy represents what it represented during the Civil War, which includes slavery. What it represents has not changed.

As a side, most of the Democrats who were racist in the past have moved to the Republican Party. I read about the Republicans picking up a lot of Democrats sometime in the later 1900's - basically the religious, racist types switched parties.
edit on 19amSat, 19 Aug 2017 01:23:28 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Made sure to specifically enshrine the filthy practice in their "Confederate States Constitution".

Article I Section 9(4) No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

Article IV Section 2(1) The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States; and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any State of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property; and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.

Article IV Section 3(3) The Confederate States may acquire new territory; and Congress shall have power to legislate and provide governments for the inhabitants of all territory belonging to the Confederate States, lying without the limits of the several states; and may permit them, at such times, and in such manner as it may by law provide, to form states to be admitted into the Confederacy. In all such territory, the institution of negro slavery as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress, and by the territorial government: and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories, shall have the right to take to such territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the states or territories of the Confederate states.

K~

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   
If you believe the written native of history your naive. I'm not saying it wasn't sold that way even then. Also I want to make clear i'm not pro slavery it's a human atrocity and we're all human. Ultimately though money, oppression and greed has been this country's driving force since it's creation. Our country, with the help of mass imagination of irish at that time. Was able to lower the quality of life for most everyone but a small percentage. It's always the few that benefit the most that bear the most blame.
edit on 19-8-2017 by Skeeball because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   
It was about a lot of things, including slavery, everyone needs to STFU.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
It was about a lot of things, including slavery, everyone needs to STFU.

Looks like I found one..

Did you watch the Colonel? He was actually really thorough. He actually went over each of those "other things" that people said it was about and pretty much said.. nope.. that "thing" is really just slavery with a different mask.

It was a really good explanation

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   
From the same video maker.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
As a side, most of the Democrats who were racist in the past have moved to the Republican Party. I read about the Republicans picking up a lot of Democrats sometime in the later 1900's - basically the religious, racist types switched parties.

That's not entirely true (I thought this until very recently). You have to own the fact that many of the Dixiecrats stayed in the Democratic party, or the right wing will throw it in your face how wrong you are. How "wrong" you are without acknowledging that those remaining Dixiecrats in the Democratic party were completely shunned and lost all sway in the party except for the very few that actually admitted to being wrong and grew as people (see Hillary Clinton's mentor Robert Byrd). From what I understand one of the things that makes America great is that a man can change and everyone deserves second chances.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
So this came out in 2015. Fan those flames!
reddit ama

At the time the video was originally released this guy's specialization was west point history not the civil war.
edit on 19-8-2017 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
What else is new,thats the story they told us in high school,the history is just how the government is dishonest,and I laug at you because you read 1 article,and your convinced,try more then one liberal source,your story is BS

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
What else is new,thats the story they told us in high school,the history is just how the government is dishonest,and I laug at you because you read 1 article,and your convinced,try more then one liberal source,your story is BS
'

That just goes to show you didnt watch it or check my source at all lol

2 Conservative posters up there just stated and showed that this came from a conservative site

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   
All of those saying it was about slavery are just worthless mouthpieces for what they know not. Because there are still places where slavery is being done, and they do nothing about it. In other words, the slavery chanters are just using this as some kind of perceived leverage for selfish reasons while places where there are actual slaves and slave trading are being ignored and dismissed. The leftists always have fake trigger objects to project their agenda upon everyone like some kind of shakedown racket. Fake because they really don't give a real damn except caring only about themselves in their own world.

Yesterday it was all about Russia.

Imagine what will be used tomorrow
edit on 19-8-2017 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join