It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Inconvenient Truth About the Democratic Party

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: abago71
a reply to: Flatfish
Can you please explain or define who would be classified as "those democrats of old"?

My parents and many other democratic family members who were voting pre-1964 are still democrats and have never changed platform or party.

When I say "those democrats of old" in the context of this thread, I'm talking about the Southern Democratic majority who were supportive of racial discrimination, segregation and the whole Jim Crow mindset.

They were the majority mindset of the party at the time and they controlled it's platform.

That doesn't mean that every single democrat in the south held those same values.

The same way that during the years of slavery, not every southern democrat owned slaves. Or that during the Civil War, not every southerner agreed with slavery. Somewhere around 200,000 of them went and fought for the Union Army.

My parents were southern democrats and they didn't agree with or support discrimination either.

That being said, I retired in 2005 from what was probably the last industry in America to integrate.

As a union longshoremen from the Deep South, we didn't work with the black longshoremen until forced to do so by the federal courts on April 1, 1981 and I'm proud to say that it was my generation of southern democrats who filed the legal challenges that made it happen.

All I know is that when the Confederacy existed, those southern states were Democratic.

Those very same Democratic states later spawned the birth of the KKK, they supported Jim Crow laws, segregation and discrimination.

Today, those very same states that made up the Confederacy and supported discrimination in almost every form, are the stronghold of the Republican Party.

That's also not to say that every republican today is a racist either, but if you're a racist who's looking for a like minded political party, today's GOP is the place for you.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

So its ok to be a member of the Democratic party yet not subscribe to the racial animus? How would that work for members of the KKK or Nazis? Can the same double standard apply?

Also you need to calrify what you mean in this sentence -

Today, those very same states that made up the Confederacy and supported discrimination in almost every form, are the stronghold of the Republican Party.

Are you trying to say Republicans are the racists and pushed for blacks to not have rights?
edit on 21-8-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

So its ok to be a member of the Democratic party yet not subscribe to the racial animus? How would that work for members of the KKK or Nazis? Can the same double standard apply?

Are you trying to say Republicans are the racists and pushed for blacks to not have rights?

What I'm saying is that the roles and ideologies of the two primary political parties here in America traded places with each other beginning right around the time LBJ enacted the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act in 1964 & 1965 respectively.

I think I laid it out pretty clearly in my previous posts in this thread.

The Deep South Democrats of old that supported slavery, the KKK, Jim Crow Laws, etc., are today's proud, nationalists Republicans. And the Republicans of old who fought slavery and discrimination are today's Democrats.

In other words, if Lincoln were alive today, he'd more than likely be a Democrat. Hell, if Ronald Reagan were alive today, he'd probably be one too.

The Democratic Party of old first went Republican and now it's just gone to s#*t.
edit on 21-8-2017 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Regarding the first part of this question, YES one can belong to a party without agreeing to all of it's proclaimed principles.

What, you don't think there are democrats today that disagree with abortion rights?

But the best example of this is probably Lyndon B. Johnson himself, a southern democrat who enacted both, the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rigts Act as well as appointing the nations first black Justice to the Supreme Court Of the United States.

Just remember that Kennedy chose LBJ as his VP running mate reluctantly. There was already a bit of a divide forming within the Democratic Party at the time and even though JFK was a Democrat, he was leery of southern Democrats but he needed the support of those who shared his views in order to win the election.

After JFK was assassinated and LBJ became POTUS, it was his "betrayal" of the old "southern" democratic party principles of the time that served as the impetus for the total reversal of political ideologies in the south that began with his presidency. When LBJ gave blacks equal rights, it was the "straw that broke the camel's back."

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The same regions that were dominated by racists in 1860 are the same ones dominated by racists today.

It's always been a regional thing, not a party politics thing, but don't let reality stop your monologues.

Reference "Dixiecrats" and the "Southern Strategy" ... also, Lee Atwater can explain why Southern racists flocked to Reagan's "Big Tent" ...

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
The same regions that were dominated by racists in 1860 are the same ones dominated by racists today.

It's always been a regional thing, not a party politics thing, but don't let reality stop your monologues.

Reference "Dixiecrats" and the "Southern Strategy" ... also, Lee Atwater can explain why Southern racists flocked to Reagan's "Big Tent" ...

Actually it's a little bit of both worlds. An entire region basically changed it's dominant political affiliation in hopes of finding, or commandeering, a political party receptive to their racist views and discriminatory practices.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I don't suppose any geniuses can show and analyze a list of Republican legislation(s) that are (or were) racist.

I mean REAL racist.

Maybe start with the 1960s.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I don't suppose any geniuses can show and analyze a list of Republican legislation(s) that are (or were) racist.

I mean REAL racist.

Sure, right after you show anything "REAL racist" by the Democrats in your chosen time period ... as you know, the Democratic party is the erstwhile topic here...

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

Actually it's a little bit of both worlds. An entire region basically changed it's dominant political affiliation in hopes of finding, or commandeering, a political party receptive to their racist views and discriminatory practices.

As a native Georgian; I'm aware. My point was that the "modern" Republican party, including Reagan, made a conscious effort to build an unholy alliance between racists, fundamentalists and others they included in "the Big Tent."

The modern Republican party is the result of that, not the abolitionists of Lincoln or the conservative businessmen of Eisenhower (who supported labor unions, LOL).
edit on 21-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: noted

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Making excuses for whom? Did you attend segregated schools in the south? Those people who protested intergrated schools did not leave the south. And they sure don't vote for democrats.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Making excuses for whom? Did you attend segregated schools in the south? Those people who protested intergrated schools did not leave the south. And they sure don't vote for democrats.

They have about three arguments, MOM, but this has got to be one of the dumbest.

They either have no idea of what they're talking about or they're blatantly lying ... or both.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I mean REAL racist.

Sure, right after you show anything "REAL racist" by the Democrats in your chosen time period ... as you know, the Democratic party is the erstwhile topic here...

Perfect deflection as I suspected.

The 2018 scorecard for Democrat candidates is gonna be great !!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Do you have a list of current politicians that have backed or passed racist legislation ?

Maybe even some that are dead or no longer in "office".

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I mean REAL racist.

So ... you don't have anything on topic eh? Nothing to support the contention that the Democratic party is racist?

Awesome, that's an unusual level of honesty from you Xuench.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

What I'm saying is that the roles and ideologies of the two primary political parties here in America traded places with each other beginning right around the time LBJ enacted the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act in 1964 & 1965 respectively.

I think I laid it out pretty clearly in my previous posts in this thread.

The Deep South Democrats of old that supported slavery, the KKK, Jim Crow Laws, etc., are today's proud, nationalists Republicans. And the Republicans of old who fought slavery and discrimination are today's Democrats.

In other words, if Lincoln were alive today, he'd more than likely be a Democrat. Hell, if Ronald Reagan were alive today, he'd probably be one too.

The Democratic Party of old first went Republican and now it's just gone to s#*t.

This may in fact be the largest pile of crap that I have seen since yesterday when I walked around my horses.

The fact of the matter remains, the Democratic party itself is and has always been on the wrong side, I don't give a crap who joined it and when. Seems like the Democratic party just attracts the worst possible elements of politics. I love how the Democrats always try to change history so that they always look okay. To quote a movie line, "You know that white speck on the top of chicken crap, yeah that's chicken crap too".

LET THE NAME CALLING BEGIN!!

Fred.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I mean REAL racist.

So ... you don't have anything on topic eh? Nothing to support the contention that the Democratic party is racist?

So ... you don't have anything on topic eh? Nothing to support the contention that the Republican party is racist?

Awesome, that's an unusual level of honesty from you Gryphon66.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I mean REAL racist.

So ... you don't have anything on topic eh? Nothing to support the contention that the Republican party is racist?

Awesome, that's an unusual level of honesty from you Gryphon66.

Have a cracker, Polly.

Oh, and, as for your evidence, you may want to speak to Mr. Mehlman ...

The perception that the Republican Party had served as the "vehicle of white supremacy in the South", particularly during the Goldwater campaign and the presidential elections of 1968 and 1972, made it difficult for the Republican Party to win the support of black voters in the South in later years. In 2005, Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman formally apologized to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), a national civil rights organization, for exploiting racial polarization to win elections and ignoring the black vote.

Source
edit on 21-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thank you for the explanation.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: fredrodgers1960

So ... you don't like the Democrats, huh?

Well, thanks for telling us your opinion.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

a reply to: fredrodgers1960

So ... you don't like the Democrats, huh?

Well, thanks for telling us your opinion.

I don't like racists, OR any party or group that has purposely created a poor class of people who can't get off of the government breast in order to create votes to stay in power. Look at the current areas that vote Democratic, then look at the areas that survive on government handouts. It's not an accident. This was planned MANY years ago by the Democratic party. It's now coming home to roost. Detroit. Baltimore. Chicago. All of these have been Democratic party controlled for decades. Take a look at what they really created. It's a human tragedy.

The entire culture I support is to provide help to anyone who needs it, if they can work, I want them working, it creates self esteem and also then means that the rest of us don't have to pay for them sitting on their behinds. There are TONS of skilled labor jobs that remain unfilled, no college required.

You can't blame this on anyone other than the Democratic party, I don't care how you try to deflect the blame, look at the blue areas on any map.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join