It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Inconvenient Truth About the Democratic Party

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: network dude

Only Congress could pass a law making slavery illegal. Til then it was a moral issue. So we had a war then an amendment. And stopped slavery from expanding west.

Yeah.

And the North had the majority that didn't do anything about it.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

The successor to the Democratic-Republican Party, the Democrats historically acted as the more populist party, as opposed to the mercantilist Whigs and (later) the industrial Republicans. At the same time, however, it was rooted in many socially and economically conservative views, notably being anti-Second Bank (Andrew Jackson), anti-tariff (ie. the Bourbons) and supporting and upholding slavery (later segregation).

The party began to move to the left in two major shifts, starting with Woodrow Wilson in the 1910s and Franklin D. Roosevelt during the Great Depression. The latter was buffered by the "New Deal Coalition," a combination of urban constituents, immigrants, intellectuals, organized labour, farmers, whites from the Solid South and (for the first time) African Americans, all of whom agreed on more government intervention in the economy but not much else.[2]

Rational Wiki

LOL

The "Reference" indicated by the "[2]" goes to a dead 404d source.

The successor to the Democratic-Republican Party, the Democrats historically acted as the more populist party, as opposed to the mercantilist Whigs and (later) the industrial Republicans. At the same time, however, it was rooted in many socially and economically conservative views, notably being anti-Second Bank (Andrew Jackson), anti-tariff (ie. the Bourbons) and supporting and upholding slavery (later segregation).

The party began to move to the left in two major shifts, starting with Woodrow Wilson in the 1910s and Franklin D. Roosevelt during the Great Depression. The latter was buffered by the "New Deal Coalition," a combination of urban constituents, immigrants, intellectuals, organized labour, farmers, whites from the Solid South and (for the first time) African Americans, all of whom agreed on more government intervention in the economy but not much else.[2]

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I don't get how that is relevant to here and now. Would you choose to own slaves if you were an 1800 rep or Dem?
I use to vote for conservatives platform in the 70's til after Reaganomics. The Republican party platform is now friendly with Russians, a big change in recent years. Parties change as times.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I don't get how that is relevant to here and now. Would you choose to own slaves if you were an 1800 rep or Dem?
I use to vote for conservatives platform in the 70's til after Reaganomics. The Republican party platform is now friendly with Russians, a big change in recent years. Parties change as times.

Well you can list all party switching since the Civil War right?

Please include politicians that switched and all State and Federal legislation that supports your claims.

Thank You in advance.

I'll look for your published research next year some time.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

No, I don't have to do any of that Boss. I'm fully human and know what I know and have the right to form an opinion.

(post by SeekingAlpha removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yeah the southern democrats were all slave owners. And the republicans were against slavery and oppression.
Those parties do not exist any longer.
They've basically switched paradigms.
Learn some history before you start putting people into boxes.
You know damn well that the left mostly represents freedom not oppression.

You're just being inflammatory.
You guys are all about that on here now that you've been sanctified by your white supremacist king trumpsterfire.
Its all open season for spreading hateful messages and keeping people divided.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

They are just attempting to repeat the lie over enough to convince themselves.

I've told them, it's really simple...when speaking about history, don't use the Party names, use the Ideological names.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

We were born with some deformities. At the founding of the USA, you could only vote if you owned property and were a white man. This was a notion that sits squarely on the shoulders of the Framers.

Eugenics and scientific racism were wholly progressive, and came after the framers. The quote was only to illustrate the general attitude of one progressive.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Because...?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
a reply to: Sillyolme

They are just attempting to repeat the lie over enough to convince themselves.

I've told them, it's really simple...when speaking about history, don't use the Party names, use the Ideological names.

Your position makes no sense logically.

Only 3 dixiecrats officially changed parties. We are supposed to believe that despite practically none of the party leadership changing from Democrat to Republican, all the regular joe voters decided to switch parties?

Not only that, we also then have to believe that the Republican party just welcomed all these southern rednecks into the party after spending the past 150 years essentially opposing slavery, segregation, etc?

I got some beach front property in Oklahoma that might interest you.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The Democratic Party Platform 1856

В Resolved, That we regard this as a distinctive feature of our political creed, which we are proud to maintain before the world, as the great moral element in a form of government springing from and upheld by the popular will; and we contrast it with the creed and practice of Federalism, under whatever name or form, which seeks to palsy the will of the constituent, and which conceives no imposture too monstrous for the popular credulity.

Opposed to Federalism

1. That the Federal Government is one of limited power, derived solely from the Constitution; and the grants of power made therein ought to be strictly construed by all the departments and agents of the government; and that it is inexpedient and dangerous to exercise doubtful constitutional powers.

1. That Congress has no power under the Constitution, to interfere with or control the domestic institutions of the several States, and that such States are the sole and proper judges of everything appertaining to their own affairs, not prohibited by the Constitution; that all efforts of the abolitionists, or others, made to induce Congress to interfere with questions of slavery, or to take incipient steps in relation thereto, are calculated to lead to the most alarming and dangerous consequences; and that all such efforts have an inevitable tendency to diminish the happiness of the people and endanger the stability and permanency of the Union, and ought not to be countenanced by any friend of our political institutions.

Slavery... states rights issue. Which party today owns the ideology that believes the Civil War was about states rights and not slavery?

Read the whole thing and tell me what flavor ideology you come away with. Read an early Republican platform and let us know which party you would join if you were alive back then. If I had to choose, I'd have been a Republican.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
It doesn't matter, the people that need to watch this won't. The left is in such denial total denial that nothing will get through to them, not even shipping them off to Venezuela to show them the first hand effects of their ideology.

comparing the Venezuela dictator's government to the left in America is just another "dog whistle" for the right......but, that's nothing new here on ATS. here on ATS the right thinks the American left compares to any type of bad government in the world....so....same s**t, different day....

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Because...?

The notion that the state should be used to guide society to utopian ends seems to suggest that eugenics and the sterilization of morons is a moral necessity.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

For an "Anachist", you sound pretty "Competitive".

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: JinMI

I keep seeing this argument. A little explanation?

Denial?

The parties secretly switched sides.
People actually believe this.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Because...?

The notion that the state should be used to guide society to utopian ends seems to suggest that eugenics and the sterilization of morons is a moral necessity.

Uhhh K.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
The following video lays out the facts about slavery, the KKK and the Democratic parties involvement in suppressing the rights of black people. It starts with Abraham Lincoln and ends with Lyndon B. Johnson. It lays out the tactics the Democratic party used in order to keep blacks from integrating into society and their attempts to prevent blacks from gaining rights.

A good watch if you have 6 free minutes.

As I stated before - Black people voting for Democrats would be like having Jews voting for the SS.

The thing is, after LBJ and the Civil Rights Act a lot of those Democrats left for the Republican Party. An unfortunate fact for this op.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

"eugenics and the sterilization of morons is a moral necessity." This was a dog whistle for the desparate to link democrats and Nazi's.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

"eugenics and the sterilization of morons is a moral necessity." This was a dog whistle for the desparate to link democrats and Nazi's.

I know, it's just a bit disjointed to thread. To me anyway.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join