It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Solar Eclipse Can Blind You (Read This Before Looking at the Sun!)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Weather calls for overcast skies and PM thunderstorms here on Monday.

edit on 19-8-2017 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Cofactor

Better to be safe, than sorry.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   

The good old scare of looking at the sun... Maximum surface normal irradiance of Sun is 100mW/cm^2, all wavelength integrated. It is a safe assumption to consider Sun's rays as collimated (apparent surface of the Sun is small), so we use laser safety regulation as guideline. According to IEC60825 and using 400nm to 700nm spectrum, the MPE (Maximum Permissible Exposure) is 10mW/cm^2 for 1ms exposure and 1mW/cm^2 for infinite exposure (remember your eye always move rapidly and imperceptibly). Taking 1mW/cm^2, you need an OD3 (Optical Density) filter to be completely safe. According to tests done on sunglasses made by Ocean Optics, none are better in the spectral range we used than OD0.75. With such google your will expose your eyes to a maximum possible irradiance of 18mW/cm^2. This is inside damage zone. This demonstrate that normal sunglasses are not appropriate for those of you that do not believe the warning. According to American Welding Society, torch brazing goggle are OD3 or OD4 and a stick welding helmet is at least OD10. So any of those will provide sufficient protection. I hope it will help any of you enjoy safely a very rare and unforgetable event. ETA: Decades ago, I looked with my eyes at a full eclipse without protection, was not aware of the possible danger at the time, and guess what? I have survived and my eyes were not damaged. The welder above citing eye protective reflex is true, but the risk of eye damage is nonetheless very real. I'm part time welder too and cannot count the number of time I flashed myself by accident without any injury, but to be honest, being a little nearsighted gave protection.

Huh

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Warning to all sun gazers. Squinting does not help. You will still burn your eyes.

Either use the shoe box concept and watch indirectly or ... use an appropriate solar filter.

Oxy type lenses DO NOT provide sufficient protection.

SOME arc welding lenses do. Some don't.

The sun is dangerous. That is why they banned us from taking holidays on the sun's surface... even in the depths of winter it is way too hot.

P

They only banned going to the suns surface during summer. And at night it's perfectly fine.

Stop hating!!!11

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: pheonix358

That is why they banned us from taking holidays on the sun's surface... even in the depths of winter it is way too hot.

Have you tried going at night .

aww beaten to the punny..

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

I prefer too use the lense coagulant of a diameter with a short nebulous screen holding a fractal discombobulatant varying the discongruent capacity of the linear tremation binded to the monosculpular distal fragment glass. dpc over the luo and not the rth type.

my eyes are great, been doing it for years..

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Too offensive?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

ebony and ebony, is all I see when I look at the suuny
sun on an eclipse oh lord no good I can't seee...

*piano part*

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

So that's why he was smiling!

My new hero is Stevie Wonder! Hail to all the "I don't give a s# type wonderful people in the world!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I look directly at the sun while driving east during the sunrise. It's right in the windshield, directly in front of me. Why does that not blind me? Is it less intense at that time of day?
I should have just searched this question, but hey, it's already typed out here.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

I'll just view it on video than in real time. Eclipses don't really excite me to the point where it's worth taking a chance on sneaking a peak and than having a life long eye problem.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

i have sungazed at will for decades...i guess we are all different.

LoFL.

Someone does not want us to see the light.

I will stare right at it as i want..screw the fear mongerers...it has never been a problem if healthy...and I AM.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Warning to all sun gazers. Squinting does not help. You will still burn your eyes.

I certainly appreciate disseminating 'useful information' but in this case "Sun Gazers" are those who look to Sol ALL the time and not just for special events.. I've been doing it for close to 2 years now (last hour of Evenings- Looking East the first thing in the morning would go over like a 'wet fart in Church™ in Flori-Duh..) and just made 80 seconds. There are some practitioners that are up to 45 minutes..

My vision was 20-10 until I turned 50 and was prescribed glasses, now use reading specs. I told the Eye Dr. about My SunGazing and She asked Me a few questions and that was it..

My sleep has improved immensely... It de-calcifies the Pineal Gland, where Melatonin is produced naturally in the pineal gland.

www.globalhealingcenter.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Stay Hydrated...

**** Your Mileage May Vary

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

That's how I'm doing it

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

You go right ahead and stare into the eclipse and get back to us then.

btw glancing up at the sun is much different than looking up at an eclipse. Sungazing is something else one only attempts for minutes at a time during the first hour after sunrise and one hour before sunset.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
And kids, be sure to stock up on blue glass bottles.

Solar Eclipse Water will be the next big selling fad!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Personal experience, back in the mid 90s, we had a solar eclipse. I was a teenager at the time and just had to look. No protection, I would look for a few seconds, 2 or 3, then look away. Eventually looked dead on for probably close to half a minute, and had no damage occur. It's a wondrous sight. I would do the same again.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Wanted to bump this to remind everyone of a very, very exciting time. Please be safe and use proper procedures to view the eclipse.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I have my welder's mask but apparently I'm not going to get the chance to see anything because we're supposed to be getting fricken thunderstorms all damn day.

*&%#$@!!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Either use the shoe box concept and watch indirectly or ... use an appropriate solar filter.

Oxy type lenses DO NOT provide sufficient protection.

SOME arc welding lenses do. Some don't.

The sun is dangerous. That is why they banned us from taking holidays on the sun's surface... even in the depths of winter it is way too hot.

P

Thanks

However, you didn't mention cross eyed viewing.

Also you didn't mention whether wearing clothes or not would make a difference.

So I believe its safe to assume that if I view the eclipse naked with cross eyes I will be fine?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join