It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Solar Eclipse Can Blind You (Read This Before Looking at the Sun!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Just a small reminder to be careful when viewing the coming Eclipse.

You've probably been told that it isn't safe to stare at the sun and that watching a solar eclipse without proper eye protection can make you go blind. That's because the light from the sun is so intense that it can literally burn your eyeballs — even during a solar eclipse, when part of the sun's disk is still visible.

Even the tiniest sliver of a crescent sun peeking out from behind the moon emits enough light to scorch your eyes, Ralph Chou, professor emeritus at the School of Optometry & Vision Science at the University of Waterloo in Canada, told Space.com. "I have seen instances where the patient has eventually shown up with crescents burned into the back of the eye, and you can almost tell exactly when they looked."

How eyeballs get "sunburned"

Sunlight damages the eyes by triggering a series of chemical reactions in the retina, the light-sensitive part at the back of the eye. Retinas contain two types of photoreceptors: rods that help you see in the dark and cones that produce color vision.

When intense solar radiation hits the retinas, it can damage and even destroy those cells, in what doctors call a retinal photochemical injury, or solar retinopathy. n severe cases, this type of photochemical damage may also come with thermal injuries, or literal burns, that destroy the rods and cones in the retina. This can happen to people who repeatedly look at the sun without any protection, those who stare at the sun for an extended time, or even those who glance through a telescope or binoculars without solar filters.

www.space.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

I got "eclipse sunglasses" at Walmart. Walmart and Home Depot should still have them, that is if they don't run out.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Great work!

Just the warning that our friends in the USA need right now.

They seem to have lost their native intelligence or perhaps CDF has left the country.

I am waiting for the news headline ... Sun is White, remove it!

P

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Here's one of the most safe way to view it using a shoebox:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

That's good to hear. It's hard to find in some places.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Yeah for sure
I've heard way too many stories of people losing their sight to this it's amazing.

I'm almost sure to there will be a story or two about somebody that some idiot got drunk and forgot to put glasses on during the event. I hope not but there's always a few out there.
edit on 18-8-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Here's one of the most safe way to view it using a shoebox:

Good call I was looking for a video I could add. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Warning to all sun gazers. Squinting does not help. You will still burn your eyes.

Either use the shoe box concept and watch indirectly or ... use an appropriate solar filter.

Oxy type lenses DO NOT provide sufficient protection.

SOME arc welding lenses do. Some don't.

The sun is dangerous. That is why they banned us from taking holidays on the sun's surface... even in the depths of winter it is way too hot.

P

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Let em go blind .
at least then they might stop crying about statues , flags and all the stuff that offends them to see .

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I'm a welder.

you won't go blind. the worst will be what is known as welders flash or snow blind.
It's extremely painful, actually it's known as just as painful as a cluster headache, which scales more in pain than child birth.

Either way, you cannot look at the sun long enough without looking away (naturally) to cause permanent damage.
Even when I am at work and someones is welding next to me about 20 feet away I notice and need to look away, it's just natural to be honest.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

That is why they banned us from taking holidays on the sun's surface... even in the depths of winter it is way too hot.

Have you tried going at night .

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

What you talking about Willis, their aint no night time on the Sun. It is always a white dude or dudess.

P

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Hey thanks! Welders glass is good and the only thing I would probably trust for an event like this. I have to question those flimsy paper glasses though people will be using and kids not old enough to know better due to stupid parents not watching them.
some good information there.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I'm a welder.

you won't go blind. the worst will be what is known as welders flash or snow blind.
It's extremely painful, actually it's known as just as painful as a cluster headache, which scales more in pain than child birth.

Either way, you cannot look at the sun long enough without looking away (naturally) to cause permanent damage.
Even when I am at work and someones is welding next to me about 20 feet away I notice and need to look away, it's just natural to be honest.

I look at the sun occasionally when looking into the trees, it makes blue spots or blue squiggly lines that you see for a while. It never made me blind and I have done it many times. I suppose if you were trying to focus on the sun it would be worse. I only look at the sun for a second or two occasionally, I never wear sunglasses either, I am not afraid of the sun. I wouldn't stare at it for an extended time either, if I do I use a welding filter.

I have gotten much worse flash during welding. That only effected me for a couple of hours, but I did not watch it too long. I never got permanent damage from welding, but I do use the shields unless I am just tacking something before welding it
edit on 18-8-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I'm a welder.

Your right buy snow blindness is a mild version. Yes your vision will return but could take weeks to heal. But in a solar eclipse the uv radiation is even worse and can take years to recover from. If you can't find glasses the next easiest thing is silver mylar. Buy a mylar baloon from dollar tree and watch through that. Other one is simply poke a pinhole in cardboard and hold it over a sheet of paper you'll see it.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The good old scare of looking at the sun...

Maximum surface normal irradiance of Sun is 100mW/cm^2, all wavelength integrated. It is a safe assumption to consider Sun's rays as collimated (apparent surface of the Sun is small), so we use laser safety regulation as guideline.

According to IEC60825 and using 400nm to 700nm spectrum, the MPE (Maximum Permissible Exposure) is 10mW/cm^2 for 1ms exposure and 1mW/cm^2 for infinite exposure (remember your eye always move rapidly and imperceptibly).

Taking 1mW/cm^2, you need an OD3 (Optical Density) filter to be completely safe. According to tests done on sunglasses made by Ocean Optics, none are better in the spectral range we used than OD0.75. With such google your will expose your eyes to a maximum possible irradiance of 18mW/cm^2. This is inside damage zone. This demonstrate that normal sunglasses are not appropriate for those of you that do not believe the warning.

According to American Welding Society, torch brazing goggle are OD3 or OD4 and a stick welding helmet is at least OD10. So any of those will provide sufficient protection.

I hope it will help any of you enjoy safely a very rare and unforgetable event.

ETA: Decades ago, I looked with my eyes at a full eclipse without protection, was not aware of the possible danger at the time, and guess what? I have survived and my eyes were not damaged. The welder above citing eye protective reflex is true, but the risk of eye damage is nonetheless very real. I'm part time welder too and cannot count the number of time I flashed myself by accident without any injury, but to be honest, being a little nearsighted gave protection.

edit on 19-8-2017 by Cofactor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Thanks for reminding me about this, I am going to watch the eclipse and it is only a few days from now! My family bought protective sunglasses for the occasion.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   
One of those survival blankets also works too. (The gold and silver metallic ones)

Warmest

Lags

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Thanks for reminding me about this, I am going to watch the eclipse and it is only a few days from now! My family bought protective sunglasses for the occasion.

Same here. Folks sent my friend and I a pair of paper glasses made by Celestron, a telescope optics company.

They used the same solar filter for the lenses that they sell for scopes. Even says they are approved by some association for Sun observation, but to limit viewing to 3 minutes at a time.

They seem legit. Afterall, when wearing them, its like wearing a black wall in fromt of your face. Cant see #!

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Apparently the eclipse glasses are hot items selling out. Better hurry!
Hot Items
edit on 8/19/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join