It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They care more than I do!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
A few minutes ago as I was driving back home, I passed a few cars (ok, I'm not the best when it comes to obeying traffic laws) and noticed that all of them had not one, not two, but several of those war ribbons on the trunks and tailgates.

It seems obvious; they care more than I do.

"I support the troops"
What does that mean - are they paying extra taxes that go to the war effort? What, exactly, does that mean? Because I do not have such ribbons on the back of my care, am I a bad man? Do I not love my country?

Are their people out there with stickers saying, "I hate the troops" or something to that effect?

For years I have had a flag decal on the rear of my car. It is a judicial flag, without the gold fringe. It sets my jurisdiction. If there are any constitutionalists out there, they know what I mean. Lately, though, I've been having the feeling that I should take the decal off. Not because I want to not set constitutional jurisdiction, but I just don't want to get lumped in with the Johnny-Come-Lately crowd-followers.

Am I alone? Am I the only one who feels this way? If this be the case, just ell me, I can handle it and will set aside time for quality self-reflection and meditation, but I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone. How many of you Americans here at ATS do not place ribbons on your car so you can show others you caaaaaaare more than they do?

By the way, to all you ribboners, flaming is welcome; speak your mind. Just don't tell me you care more than I do. I'll only laugh at you!

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It's like refusing to go out on New Years Eve...leave it for the amateurs.

lol

I'm just going to stick with my FOP sticker and hope it keeps me from getting a ticket. I know where my heart is. Nobody else necessarily needs to while I'm burning my sin tax to get to work.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I don't have a ribbon on the back of my car, I had a decal when my husband was in the first gulf war.

I did have a decal when the invasion of Iraq started but It got worn out.

I don't really know why I have not bother with one, I never though about it until you started this thread.

I have seen car with as many as 3 or four.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I've read alot from people who steadfastly believe the War on Terror... Begins at Home

...or In The Media

...or In our Own Hearts and Minds.

...but On the Rear Window of Your SUV?

I guess.

If 12 MPG "supports our troops" so be it.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
On the non-support of troops, I have been seeing a lot of those yellow "Support the troops" ribbons being hung upside down, and there is a blog out there titled Citizens Against the Troops.

I heard an interesting radio sermon the other day. Greg Lorie was talking about all the bumperstickers some Christians stick on the backs of their cars. Yes, it shows you're passionate about it, but just having one causes the person to focus on that and get that one bumpersticker's message. Multiple detract from the message and just say what you believe. People see lots, get the gist, and move on. People see one, read it, and hopefully think about it.

So no, they don't care more than you do, they just feel the need to be prideful of their belief more than you who are simply proclaiming them.

Odd

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
About thirty yards from my current location is a parking lot at one of the nation's most liberal universities... if there is a radical political bumper sticker, I have seen it...

There are not that many bumper stickers regarding the troops themselves, but you would not believe what these people want to do to the president!

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Some one gave me one of those stupid ribbon magnets for my car, didn't want to put it on. Then one day I saw that they did put it on. I took it off after a couple of days. I guess that means I am a bad person or something.

"But I am wearing the ribbon. He is wearing the ribbon. We are all wearing the ribbon! So why aren't you going to wear the ribbon!?"

best get a bracelet too
www.suntimes.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I dont wear a ribbon or have one on my car.

I do have a woman painted on the tank of my Harley but she isnt wearing a ribbon

Our Dojo DOES sponser Vet Classes where we have vets from 4 different wars that train togather(Martial Arts) . Gives us all someone to talk too and a way to get out of the house a couple days a week. We are just now getting GW2 members.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
My sticker says "I support the State Police"...
..how can you ticket a lady with a sticker like that...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I have two stickers:
One is a combo- Roll Tide/War Eagles (TC knows) gotta play it safe in some places. It is crimson and orange.

The other is 'buy American' (I drive a Nissan PU)

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
My sticker says "I support the State Police"...
..how can you ticket a lady with a sticker like that...

You little vixin, no way yer gonna get a speeding ticket with that sticker.

I got an 2004 F-250 and I have the US Army insignia on the rear window and (2) yellow ribbons on my tailgate. I like to think that by showing my support for our troops at the front.....Yeah, that does make me a better American.

Im not ashamed to say it, its a statement.....I went to the trouble of buying those stickers and mounting them on my new 6000lb American gas hog. When I see a yellow sticker, at least I know there is a true American close by and I draw a little comfort from that.

Course, This is just an old tankers opinion.

Maximu§

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I dont wear a ribbon or have one on my car.

I do have a woman painted on the tank of my Harley

Amuk rides a harley. Why does it seem right??

Our Dojo

And is a ninja.

la M
I went to the trouble of buying those stickers and mounting them on my new 6000lb American gas hog.

Don't it bother you tho that the proceeds of the ribbon aren't going to actually support the troops?

I liked the ribbons when peopel just went out, gota yellow ribbon, matched it with an oak tree of proper age. That had real meaning ya know? But now,everyone goes out and buys those processed magneto-stickers, seems to have lost something.

I've noticed many now have the design of the american flag workedinto them, often these ones have the 'god bless the us' slogan, along with a 'crypto-cross' worked into the blue field.

I say 'crypto' because its made to look like its a white line with a 'fuzzy' white line crossing it, sort of like that moderately well known photo where the sun shined thru an american flag and made a 'cross' distortion actually.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I have one of those yellow ribbons on the back of my truck. This one has been there for a couple of months; seems like it will stay after I nabbed the little pricks that were stealing them.

I don't pretend to care more than the next guy. I have it to hopefully give a bit of hope to the families that have loved ones serving over there. God knows they hear enough crap from wackos like Ward Churchill every day.

And I don't give a crap who agrees with me.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
LOL, while this wasn't so much a thought on stickers in general as it was blind car ribbon wearing, I have to admit I had a couple stickers on my last car:
"Don't steal, the government hates competition"
"Boycott Jane Fonda; American traitor, commy #####" (Pound signs in lieu of the word indicating a female dog)

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Thomas, IMHO its just a way for the average joe or jane sixpack to feel like they are doing somethng to support the troops. The average middle aged man or soccer mon cant join the military, has little or no political power, and usually doesn't have the money to give a lot to veterans charities. But they can put a sticker or four on thier car and fell as if at least in thier own hearts they are supporting the troops. And you know what when troops on leave or just returned from the war see them its gotta at least help a little that, unlike the men who returned home from vietnam, That the american people appreciate what they went through.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Buying a sticker to show support would be all fine and good if only some of the money went to the troops. The companies that make most of the crap you buy in convenience stores don't care nearly as much about the troops as you do. They take your money and put it in their bank account, they don't ship it to Baghdad. The exception is the bracelet if I remember, I think the company that produces those little yellow pieces of rubber sends a portion to troops in Iraq in the form of toiletries, snacks, and other care package style gifts.

I want to tell people they should support the troops by being more informed about the war, but that would just lead them to watch more television.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Yeah, MWM, I suppose you are right. I'm just tired of it. They are all over the place! I suppose that is what one would expect, living next to a military base.
Still, mentally, W-O speaks my thoughts. The tailgate magnets should say, "I support the patriot-parephenalia industry!"

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Thomas we are, maybe more so than any other nation, a nation of style over substance. Most americans would rather look good than be intelligent. What do you expect?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Yeah, MWM, I suppose you are right. I'm just tired of it. They are all over the place! I suppose that is what one would expect, living next to a military base.
Still, mentally, W-O speaks my thoughts. The tailgate magnets should say, "I support the patriot-parephenalia industry!"

Tell me about it, I find very ridiculous when people attach huge yellow ribbons on the front of the cars like a big gift present, at least that is what I see when I look at them.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Our Dojo

And is a ninja.

for the record a Black Belt (I wont say the degree because you could get my name and address then) in GoJuRu Okinawan Karate, I will kick a ninjas ass
Sadly I cant train like I used to because of health problems.

My sons have trained since they can walk and can kick a roomful of ninjas asses
My oldest is trying to fit training to fight in UFC into his college schedule, if I can convince him not to join the Army.

I recomend it to anyone looking for exersize.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join