It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racists, white nationalists and Neo-nazis, oh my

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

To be fair the media was already against him during his campaign, yet he scored enough votes to win. Now that he's on the job his numbers have been dwindling.

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
That's what I mean. It's a tricky thought, maybe too philosophical for this discussion, but words are not agents capable of acting upon other objects. They aren't actors. So it is impossible to be "emboldened by words" as if the words are pushing them around. The only agents involved are the human beings which act according to their own thoughts and understanding. I just can't see how Trump is directly or indirectly controlling people's thoughts or actions.

Maybe too philosophical altogether. You can deconstruct the meaning out of any argument, but aren't words the tools for his job? I don't think Trump is to blame for those groups, they are part of a long-time trend, like you say, but people have the right to call him out for his sayings just as much as you have the right to snicker about your pancake-eating, pant-sniffing progressives.

Have you never been emboldened by words? Maybe you are missing out. And I'm not talking about some sort of Platonic world of forms where people literally get the wind knocked out of them as the word "racist" punches into their abdomen, I'm talking about the real world, where we have a long tradition of orators and demagogues. Wouldn't you agree that the pen is mightier than the sword? Of course here on the social media we mostly just get angry, rather than emboldened.

I agree about political correctness though. Things have been shaken up a bit, that's good. And it's true that there's been violence from many parties, denying that just gives more ammunition to Nazi's, and to the alt-right. But it was unwise to use Charlottesville to make a point about this. The Nazi's where the ones who came there, armed, to a strange city, and nothing good came of it.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
which president allegedly called the people marching with torches "good people" in the past decades their factions have been marching...?

during which presidency have these groups chants included "Heil - insert president name -"

what was the last decade when these groups boldly marched on public roads with lit torches?

which decade, or under what presidency going back to the late 70s has an, alleged, nouveau Nazi committed a terrorist attack in broad sight of the public and law enforcement....?

who was the last president the collective "supremacists" milieu have boldly pledged unequivocal allegiance to?

another verbose defense for the orange one... facts are facts.
yes these groups have always been and may always be, but under which president or how far back can we honestly say they have been least dormant?

more rallies are being announced... and happening as I type.

Rutherford B. Hayes rescinded the troops Lee sent to the southern states that were there cleaning up the KKK.

So basically he gave them their power back.

Rutherford Birchard Hayes (October 4, 1822 – January 17, 1893) was the 19th President of the United States (1877–81). He became president at the end of the Reconstruction Era of the United States through a complex Compromise of 1877. As president he ended Army support for Republican state governments in the South, promoted civil service reform, and attempted to reconcile the divisions left over from the Civil War and Reconstruction.

I'm sure they loved him.
And the dems were cheating votes way back then even! lol!

In 1876, Hayes was elected president in one of the most contentious elections in national history. He lost the official popular vote to Democrat Samuel J. Tilden (due at least in part to Southern suppression of Republican votes, it is not known with certainty who won the actual popular vote) but he won an intensely disputed electoral college vote after a Congressional commission awarded him twenty contested electoral votes. The result was the Compromise of 1877, in which the Democrats acquiesced to Hayes's election and Hayes withdrew remaining U.S. troops protecting Republican office holders in the South.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 8 19 2017 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

But they are not reality or whatever it is that you say when someone uses one in their arguments, but moving beyond the metaphor, Trump has not attended or fixed anything on that list other than the TPP. All he has done is talked. Nothing but words which cannot affect matter.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

I've never believed in opinion polls. I find that it is garbage reporting to commission a poll and then report on the findings as if was pertinent news. If it reflects opinion it is the opinion of the people asked, no more, and even then the questions are loaded; and when they are questions regarding a person demonized in the public square, the answers will never be fourthcoming, as illustrated by the shy Tory effect. I don't like waking up, turning on the news, and someone telling me what my opinion is, or what some abstract general consensus is. Polling is an expensive racket, and companies pay a lot of money not to predict opinion, but so they can mold it.

Yes words are tools. Trump is well aware of rhetoric. Despite his low-level speaking abilities, and the abject mockery of how he talks, he is a master rhetorician that has outschooled the most competent in talking and speech-reading.

Again, there is nothing philosophical in saying words are not active, subjective agents capable of pushing people around. It is a simple fact that the pen is not mightier than the sword.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

But they are not reality or whatever it is that you say when someone uses one in their arguments, but moving beyond the metaphor, Trump has not attended or fixed anything on that list other than the TPP. All he has done is talked. Nothing but words which cannot affect matter.

Metaphors are real despite your sophistry. But yes, Trump's agenda is being realized as we speak.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I was just throwing your sophistry back at you.

Trump's agenda are just words that he said to the public which he may or may not follow through on. Either way those words are not magic. Trump isn't hunting down Isis in the ME or patrolling the border. He isn't creating jobs for every american out of a job.

All he has is words which you apparently have chosen to superstitiously believe and you are trying to convince others that your fantasy is real.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Then what about someone like David Duke? or Richard Spencer and the Alt-Right? These two figures I hadn’t even heard of until I heard of them from (you guessed it) the media.

I heard about David Duke when he ran for President in 1988.

I learned of the alt-right and Spencer from threads on ATS.

This nonsense is the direct result of the “enemy of the people”, the same people who sensationalize any story so long as it might trend on twitter,

"enemy of the people" is what Donald Trump calls Main Stream Media. What do you suggest be done about this horrible threat? Maybe pull licensing? Require equal airing of official Executive Branch produced "News" as a prerequisite to airing or publishing dissenting views?

Trump responds to Barcelona attack by reviving debunked myth

After a relatively conventional response to the attack, in which he went on to Twitter to call on the people of Barcelona to be “tough and strong” and offer help from the US, he posted another, more cryptic, tweet, saying: “Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught. There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!”

The tweet echoed a highly controversial claim Trump made at an election rally in South Carolina in February 2016, in which he talked admiringly about a counter-insurgency in the Philippines conducted by Gen John Pershing between 1909 and 1913, when he was governor of Moro province.

The Moro insurgency was not about Islam. Insurgents aren't radical terrorists, they are insurgents. Pigs blood did not quell the insurgency. The adoption of the 1911 45 Automatic Colt Pistol as the official U.S. military sidearm was much more effective against Moros than pig's blood.

The implied notion that Spanish police should dip bullets in pig's blood to end Islamic terrorism in their country is just plain bizaare.

Should Donald Trump anchor his own News show and feed the public with a constant diet of email chain letter stories he's read, presented as true historical fact?
edit on 19-8-2017 by pthena because: spelling

edit on 19-8-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Then what about someone like David Duke? or Richard Spencer and the Alt-Right? These two figures I hadn’t even heard of until I heard of them from (you guessed it) the media.

I heard about David Duke when he ran for President in 1988.

I learned of the alt-right and Spencer from threads on ATS.

This nonsense is the direct result of the “enemy of the people”, the same people who sensationalize any story so long as it might trend on twitter,

"enemy of the people" is what Donald Trump calls Main Stream Media. What do you suggest be done about this horrible threat? Maybe pull licensing? Require equal airing of official Executive Branch produced "News" as a prerequisite to airing or publishing dissenting views?

Trump responds to Barcelona attack by reviving debunked myth

After a relatively conventional response to the attack, in which he went on to Twitter to call on the people of Barcelona to be “tough and strong” and offer help from the US, he posted another, more cryptic, tweet, saying: “Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught. There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!”

The tweet echoed a highly controversial claim Trump made at an election rally in South Carolina in February 2016, in which he talked admiringly about a counter-insurgency in the Philippines conducted by Gen John Pershing between 1909 and 1913, when he was governor of Moro province.

The Moro insurgency was not about Islam. Insurgents aren't radical terrorists, they are insurgence. Pigs blood did not quell the insurgency. The adoption of the 1911 45 Automatic Colt Pistol as the official U.S. military sidearm was much more effective against Moros than pig's blood.

The implied notion that Spanish police should dip bullets in pig's blood to end Islamic terrorism in their country is just plain bizaare.

Should Donald Trump anchor his own News show and feed the public with a constant diet of email chain stories he's read, presented as true historical fact?

Are those rhetorical questions?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Metaphors are real despite your sophistry.

No, that's matadors. Metaphors are unreal but vivid analogies by definition, despite your sophistry.

Funny thread, guys! Funny in a very sophistrycated way, sorry I'm late for the party.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I was just throwing your sophistry back at you.

Trump's agenda are just words that he said to the public which he may or may not follow through on. Either way those words are not magic. Trump isn't hunting down Isis in the ME or patrolling the border. He isn't creating jobs for every american out of a job.

All he has is words which you apparently have chosen to superstitiously believe and you are trying to convince others that your fantasy is real.

Then your throwing arm is like a wet noodle.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

My throwing arm destroys wet noodles, then kneads fresh ones out of flour, water and a pinch of salt.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

My throwing arm destroys wet noodles, then kneads fresh ones out of flour, water and a pinch of salt.

Metaphors aren't real.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Flip-flopping?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Actual questions. I'm curious to read what a self described freedom of speech absolutist proposes as a solution to Main Stream Media acting as the "enemies of the people" (according to Executive Authority).

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Trump's agenda is being realized as we speak.

That agenda of dismantling the Agencies of the Government, EPA, Energy, Education, State Department, Justice Department Civil Rights Division, Federal Courts, etc. are being done passively; by not making appointments to fill positions. He can just sit around while government becomes less effective due to attrition.

ETA

The only agencies of Government he seems interested in growing are Military and Police. Interesting, since he seems to consider the Legislative Branch to somehow be his enemy too.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Actual questions. I'm curious to read what a self described freedom of speech absolutist proposes as a solution to Main Stream Media acting as the "enemies of the people" (according to Executive Authority).

No solution is necessary. Pointing out and understanding what they are suffices enough for me.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Trump's agenda is being realized as we speak.

That agenda of dismantling the Agencies of the Government, EPA, Energy, Education, State Department, Justice Department Civil Rights Division, Federal Courts, etc. are being done passively; by not making appointments to fill positions. He can just sit around while government becomes less effective due to attrition.

ETA

The only agencies of Government he seems interested in growing are Military and Police. Interesting, since he seems to consider the Legislative Branch to somehow be his enemy too.

The permanent bureaucracy should become less effective, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

Metaphors are real despite your sophistry.

No, that's matadors. Metaphors are unreal but vivid analogies by definition, despite your sophistry.

Funny thread, guys! Funny in a very sophistrycated way, sorry I'm late for the party.

Matador's unite why I'm just seeing red lol. Ole

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

No solution is necessary.

Glad to read that.

Pointing out and understanding what they are suffices enough for me.

To quote Trump: "...from many sides." I don't identify journalists and reporters as "enemies of the people" however. Journalistic standards change. Pamphleteers should be considered biased.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

No solution is necessary.

Glad to read that.

Pointing out and understanding what they are suffices enough for me.

To quote Trump: "...from many sides." I don't identify journalists and reporters as "enemies of the people" however. Journalistic standards change. Pamphleteers should be considered biased.

I was purposefully broad in my brush strokes when I said the media is the enemy of the people. There is still good journalism out there, of course, but a misinformed public is a dangerous one.

I do not believe in any attack or sanction against fake news or sedition, but I think simple critical thinking skills can go a long way to dispel their nonsense.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join