It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The youtube wasteland, coming soon...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Ok woke up today to check emails. pay bills and check out a few youtubers I subscribed to.
What I ran into was that youtube has basically demonetized everyone.

I am not a youtuber, I have no channel.
But I do enjoy looking around and hearing different people's opinions as well as the random goofy animal video.

With this so called ad-pocalypse , People will vanish from youtube or have their channels hidden.

Here's just a few people talking about this.

I understand the youtube/google have every right to do as they wish, it's their website.

But this doesn't fair well for people who want a different opinion or view.

As in no time, we will be left with the MSM, CNN,MSNBC,FOX, which is all good for nobody.

Just putting this out there, and if you have any youtubers you enjoy, check their channels out and see how you can support them.

Cheers

edit on 18-8-2017 by Black_Fox because: SPeLLinG

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Its okay just be sure to donate to their patreon and sign up on gofundme and don't forget to buy their merch oh and be sure to add them on givememore and paypal.

So sorry that your hobby can no longer be your job.

think of the commentary!

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
Ok woke up today to check emails. pay bills and check out a few youtubers I subscribed to.
What I ran into was that youtube has basically demonetized everyone.

I am not a youtuber, I have no channel.
But I do enjoy looking around and hearing different people's opinions as well as the random goofy animal video.

With this so called ad-pocalypse , People will vanish from youtube or have their channels hidden.

Here's just a few people talking about this.

I understand the you/google have every right to do as they wish, it's their website.

But this doesn't fair well for people who want a different opinion or view.

As in no time, we will be left with the MSM, CNN,MSNBC,FOX, wish are all good for nobody.

Just putting this out there, and if you have any youtubers you enjoy, check their channels out and see how you can support them.

Cheers

A few of the bloggers I follow were demonetized. One basically had all his videos taken down. He had about 40,000 subscribers. He had to move over to Vimeo, but doesn't garner nearly the same amount of views. Essentially, people who didn't like what he was saying about political and social issues did a coordinated attack to flag his channel.

What was bothersome is that there is no debate as he'd often discuss in his videos. They couldn't attack the truth and facts in the video, so they just flag to get it taken down.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yep! Say ANYTHING against the Progressive Fascist Marxist agenda on youtube and BAMN the snowflakes go into a rampage to shut you down.

I also think their new AI is totally EFFed. There is a girl I watch who has a gaming youtube called TomGirlGamer, and she NEVER says anything about politics or anything remotely associated with it, and she woke up the other day to find almost all of her gaming videos demonetized. So was she a victim of AI or was she a victim of people who for some reason or another just didn't like her?

edit on 18-8-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Perhaps Youtube would value your input as a consultant.

Or perhaps you could purchase some stock in the corporation and have a say in how the corp is administrated.

Google, youtube, Amazon are going to pull a Walmart and consolidate and do business the American way...believe me!

Or start your own hosting site and promote your and others views that you agree with. How hard can it be?

edit on 18-8-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

(post by kurthall removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I've noticed a lot of channels have been hidden on YouTube and a massive increase in funny pet videos and entertainment responses.

Kinda knew this was gonna be the end result on YouTube. Censor based on labels and flags

Scary times

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

edit on 18-8-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Well at least Youtube didn't blackmail people they don't like unlike CNN.

However, judging from what Youtube is doing, I wouldn't be surprised if the Google executives considered this as a possible option before they settled to demonetization.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Yep! Say ANYTHING against the Progressive Fascist Marxist agenda on youtube and BAMN the snowflakes go into a rampage to shut you down.

I also think their new AI is totally EFFed. There is a girl I watch who has a gaming youtube called TomGirlGamer, and she NEVER says anything about politics or anything remotely associated with it, and she woke up the other day to find almost all of her gaming videos demonetized. So was she a victim of AI or was she a victim of people who for some reason or another just didn't like her?

They pretty much did the same thing to campkillcommentary ...

They demonetized his gaming channel , and now he won't make any more musicals.. eff YouTube...

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I have to say... are you really surprised?

Youtube's product, are the videos.
The people who pay, are the advertisers.
We are not a part of this picture.

Youtube is going to do what is best for the platform in terms of their business clients, their advertisers, those who are paying Youtube, not being paid BY Youtube.

Now if there was a mass exodus, that would change things. But we know there's as much chance of that happening as people boycotting Walmart.

These are pretty much the same advertisers that already pay standard MSM for advertising.. so of course that will leave the most publicised videos on Youtube representing something akin to MSM.

The best way Youtube can discourage "undesirable videos" (in the eyes of their advertisers) is by demonetizing, that removes some of the incentive to produce them in the first place and may actually render some channels not financially viable.

I am not saying it is right, I am saying it is common sense.
edit on 18/8/2017 by LilFox because: typo

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LilFox
I have to say... are you really surprised?

Youtube's product, are the videos.
The people who pay, are the advertisers.
We are not a part of this picture.

Youtube is going to do what is best for the platform in terms of their business clients, their advertisers, those who are paying Youtube, not being paid BY Youtube.

Now if there was a mass exodus, that would change things. But we know there's as much chance of that happening as people boycotting Walmart.

These are pretty much the same advertisers that already pay standard MSM for advertising.. so of course that will leave the most publicised videos on Youtube representing something akin to MSM.

The best way Youtube can discourage "undesirable videos" (in the eyes of their advertisers) is by demonetizing, that removes some of the incentive to produce them in the first place and may actually render some channels not financially viable.

I am not saying it is right, I am saying it is common sense.

Don't disagree. The issue for me is the lack of consistency. Conservative political views are silenced yet I can go pull up hip hop videos celebrating killing n*ggas, leftist vloggers attacking conservatives, and all kinds of other smut and questionable videos.

The vlogger I watched was black guy merely stating his opinion on a variety of topics. He had been for a few years and had like 300 videos removed. He often said things not social acceptable in the black community (i.e., wasn't buying into the black victimology) and people got him removed. So a black guy pointing out facts about political topics needs to be removed, but those same advertisers and youtube accept black people cooning and buffooning in rap videos celebrating dope dealing and killing folks.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I think there may be more going on behind the scenes than we know about. In fact, I'd bet on it.

Perhaps PR firms (belonging to Youtube or advertisers/groups) are advising what to remove, perhaps specifically and channel based, perhaps via tags and buzzwords. If this is the case, it goes without saying that the government would contract such firms as well.

Of course, such firms may be paying for other videos to stay up as well.

But yes, as you have mentioned there does appear to be hypocrisy in relation to the censorship. The question is why, and the answer probably is related to money.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LilFox

That's a very interesting comment.

I hadn't even thought about the advertisers.

Thanks for bringing that up.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I've noticed a lot of channels have been hidden on YouTube and a massive increase in funny pet videos and entertainment responses.

Kinda knew this was gonna be the end result on YouTube. Censor based on labels and flags

Scary times

I've wondered about that. In the past we had web-rings. People with a particular interest would have a hyper-next and hyper-prev buttons on their website that would link to someone else's webpage (forums weren't really around then).
With youtube, each video has a 13 character identifier (a 64-bit unique identifier) and these are cross-linked based on viewer visits from other videos. I suspect that this creates little video rings (80's music, cat videos, quantum physics, rap music etc...). There's a couple of pop videos I remember watching/listening to, but just can't find (one was by Prince and was a muffly/echoey version of BatDance or something similar. The other was a song with the lines "Let the party fun begin, everyone in their place, and a place for everyone", but I can' find that either.

Given the number of videos (4 billion = 2^33) and the space available (2^64), choosing a video purely by random is practically impossible. Of course, you can type in random words and see what videos come up. Alternatively doing a search for images by number turns up crazy results as well.

new topics

top topics

join