It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are we exactly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I mean, we are in what we call the solar system, which in turn is in a galaxy which is inside the universe. But whats next? Can you leave what we know as the universe and find it was no more than a speck in a much bigger picture?

I found some software or a website a while back that let u zoom out from the smallest known thing on earth, out to deep space. Well what i was thinking is, what we would encounter if we could keep on zooming out?? Infinite blackness? More galaxies?

Zoom out far enough and could we see that we are contained in a giant version of the very thing we zoomed out from? So if we zoom out from my left big toe, eventually we will get back to the very same thing and the process repeats again infinitely.

Just a thought lol, interested in other peoples views on this, i mean, what the hell is out there??????? We know so little

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hi kungfubeats. There are two ancient Hindu legends, one of which inspired the 'Big Bang' theory of modern times. That is the the legend of the birth of the Universe from a cosmic egg. The other, lesser-known legend says that the Universe can be imagined to be Ganesh, the Elephant standing in a pool of water, blowing water through his trunk onto his back. Now if we agree that the Universe is built on fractal principles, as you say we can step back until we see one magnificent all encompassing Black Hole, surrounded by an immense accretion disk, sparaying two mighty fusing polar jets of hydrogen gas in opposite directions. We could zoom back in and see our observable Universe in a small, turbulent, cooling and expanding portion of one polar jet. And, perhaps- there is more than one Elephant out there...

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Ahhh, the universe hurts my head! lol

I always think, is there an edge of space? If you reached far enough in a space ship, would you eventually get back to where you started or do you crash into an "wall"? How did the universe start? The big bang, then what is the big gang, a ball of energy that exploded, then where did that ball of energy come from, God, then where did god come from? Its so confusing

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Earth is located at the outer edge of the galaxy it orbits the centre of, or more specificly the solar system that Earth is a part of orbits the centre of the galaxy around it's outer edge.

So in terms of fractal iterations, we're in an outer electron shell sort of locale.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MooMix3
How did the universe start? The big bang, then what is the big gang, a ball of energy that exploded, then where did that ball of energy come from, God, then where did god come from?

Gah!!! I know what you're saying. When I start thinking about space I inevitably start thinking about that sort of thing, too.

top topics

join