It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Removing the statue of Confederate hero Chief Justice Roger B. Taney

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Contrary to your mindless delusions, this post was not about my fears. Try to stay on topic and keep the ad hominem attacks to a minimum. It says more about your immaturity that it does about me. Just because I don't share your opinion doesn't mean I am any lesser of a human being.

edit on 18-8-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Justice Taney ruled persons of African descent have no Constitutional rights is his greatest achievement of his life. So putting up a statue of Justice Taney on the State House grounds, when it was done, was pretty much an eff you to black people.

Hmm, well besides being an a well known bigot, he doesn't seem to be known for much of anything. Statues like that seem right to remove. I still think there is a grey area for those who've made amazing achievements during a time of great learning for the worlds people. Sure some of our founders and politicians since could have been both good and bad. Why can't we celebrate the good while scolding the bad? A statue showing both true sides of man is a great way of doing this. Robert Taney doesn't seem to fit that though. I still think people* are being closed minded about this but am willing to listen to opinions.

Edit: Originally said "you", was meant to say "people". * = highlighted word.

My reasoning is, I am left with the impression people like you want to blanket remove all statues that have a hint of something negative concerning race. Even if not you specifically, a great deal of leftists have that mindset. What is most concerning is, there are probably many other issues regarding morality to challenge some of these people... so why is this coming up now. I'm assuming political theater.

Edit: this is intended for the above edit. I am watching my nieces and contacting county police. I am at least, distracted. I was left with the wrong impression from skimming your post. Anything referring to you is referring to the left.

I agree with you. I think many on the right will blanket defend this as well. Which isn't good. The grey area encompasses both sides but this statue again, doesn't seem to fit in that area. . My apologies for the confusion

One thing I'd want to say is, even though it's not good the right is blanket defending anything without doing research, it's purely reactionary from constant attacks on rational ideology by the left. It's just ignorance from most, which can be said about the left too. There are nutters ruining both sides and again I am stuck with the opinion of political puppet masters at work.
edit on 18-8-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: kurthall

I don't want anything. I was just pointing out Republicans are just as bad as Democrats.

Your right. I went on auto pilot. Sorry. I will change the you, to if they.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Politicians love to exploit and score cheap political points, they do the eye-candy without changing anything below visual surface

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Are you talking to me or the Republican governor? I am not closed minded about anything. The governor is the one who issued the statement. I am not running for office.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

a reply to: Antipathy17

Are you talking to me or the Republican governor? I am not closed minded about anything. The governor is the one who issued the statement. I am not running for office.

Let me run through my last post and i'll give you a correct reply, I think we got some wires crossed.

Edit: Last post is fully corrected.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Contrary to your mindless delusions, this post was not about my fears. Try to stay on topic and keep the ad hominem attacks to a minimum. It says more about your immaturity that it does about me. Just because I don't share your opinion doesn't mean I am any lesser of a human being.

I asked if the art frightened you. It's a legitimate question since you brought up this topic. You placed it in the mud pit, so you may want to think about that with your fragile feelings.

A republican moved the statue. That seems to be your big point here. Congrats. You found a guy who is a republican who quickly caved into the fray and did what the few loud ones wanted. I think it's sad that it happened, but if the majority wished for it, then they did use the proper channels, so it is what it is. I'm just glad some asshole snowflake didn't tear it down on their own with a mob. That is ignorant.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Irishhaf

This IS the Mud Pit!

Do you have a problem with the statue being removed, or not?

I'll answer you since you asked in a civilized manner. No, I don't personally mind it coming down. I'm a southern simpleton but believe that all men were created equal in the eyes of the Lord. Slavery doesn't exist here anymore and I don't see how removing statues changes anything. The problem is where does it end because there seems to be no end in sight.

We're watching a snowball effect in process. Give an inch, they take a mile. You cannot appease everyone and their feelings. The attempt is futile and devastating if allowed to continue for any length of time. Eventually, you have to draw a line in the sand and stop the insanity.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Are you afraid of "snowflakes" ? What frightens you about people who are just as passionate about politics as you are?

Oh wait, don't answer that. Let's not talk about each other or have ad hominem attacks. Let's talk about Roger B. Taney and why did they put up a statue of him on state grounds in the first place?

You obviously don't agree with the Governor's decision so I applaud you for at least stating an opinion about the OP that was not an ad hominem attack.

I apologize for the "inbred Retardican" part in the OP. But I'm really being sick of being called a "communist". I guess I need thicker skin.

edit on 18-8-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
All those people who are outraged by the removal of statues and think that history is being erased are going to be excited to find out about books!!

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blarneystoner
All those people who are outraged by the removal of statues and think that history is being erased are going to be excited to find out about books!!

This statue should be erased since it doesn't seem to fit in the grey area I spoke of above. I don't like your comment very much. Books tell history, statues keep it in your mind and (if positive) hopefully in your heart.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

a reply to: Anathros

Just look at the other thread about Robert E Lee. All people do is say the opposition party is nothing but "communists". What do you call people on the left?

Friends, family, and fellow Americans.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Removing the statue of Confederate traitor Chief Justice Roger B. Taney

Amazes me the rabble that cry "patriot" the loudest revere & honor traitors to the very country they claim allegiance.

Sickening really.

K~

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

This statue should be erased since it doesn't seem to fit in the grey area I spoke of above. I don't like your comment very much. Books tell history, statues keep it in your mind and (if positive) hopefully in your heart.

You don't have to like it... it's not mandatory. I'm curious to know why you think your opinion matters?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

You don't have to like it... it's not mandatory. I'm curious to know why you think your opinion matters?

I like this.

It goes right to the heart of the matter.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I also think that if we want to preserve the history of how horrible we can be as people, leaving this statue up with an addition to reflect such could be a great thing as well.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I apologize for the "inbred Retardican" part in the OP. But I'm really being sick of being called a "communist". I guess I need thicker skin.

If you are going to post in the mud pit and open with insulting everyone on the other side, yea, I'd say you are spot on with that idea.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

The problem is where does it end because there seems to be no end in sight.

Sure, hyperbole is always a problem. I think the line should be drawn at the point that its determined by local leaders, that the statue in question was erected in direct protest to the emancipation of "the negro", to reinforce white supremacy and/or to intimidate people of color into complacency.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Mark my words next they will erase undesirable names from history books. I know exactly where this is going.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

a reply to: kurthall

...I was just pointing out Republicans are just as bad as Democrats.

you can say that all you want but these statues that you advocate the removal of are of historic democrats. Justice Roger B Taney was a democrat.

all this conflict is over republicans trying to stop democrats from removing historic statues of democrats.
really it sounds like the democrats are just ashamed of the history of their party and want to hide it. typical...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join