It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Cooper calls for removal of Confederate monuments

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

In an article on Medium, Cooper wrote, “Some people cling to the belief that the Civil War was fought over states’ rights. But history is not on their side. We cannot continue to glorify a war against the United States of America fought in the defense of slavery. These monuments should come down.” The governor’s call to remove Confederate monuments comes a day after protesters in Durham pulled down a Confederate statue in front of the Old Courthouse. On Tuesday, one of the protesters was arrested and charged.

link to source

I was sad to see our last Governor go, Pat McCrory was a very effective leader. I'm not impressed with Roy. Caving into the "crisis de-jour" with a super nice Knee jerk reaction just to appease the very few idiots who fear artwork.

We have been continually assured that "nobody is banning any flag, or tearing down statues", so no worries there, except the part about tearing down statues, that part may have a tiny bit of truth to it. But if you bring it up, hyperbole. So I'll let the good Gov explain himself to all.

Luckily, our past Gov had vision. Vision past the right now, vision into the near future. He saw the writing on the wall. And he acted. IN such a way that he doesn't even need to be here, for his work to be recognized and appreciated by almost all.

Link to an article on WHY NC's monuments can't be removed.

ASHEBORO, N.C.-- In front of Randolph County’s Historic 1909 Courthouse stands a bronze Confederate soldier that has been there since 1911. Last week, Dr. Wesley Fennell, the former NAACP President for Randolph County, asked that it be removed and replaced with one that honors Quakers. Fennell says that keeping the statue is “just not right,” and makes the community a less welcoming place for diversity, due to the values of the Confederacy. It seems the conversation was over before it started. That's because a law signed in 2015 by Governor Pat McCrory prevents the removal of such monuments and statues in North Carolina. READ: Senate Bill 22 or the Historic Artifact Managment and Patriotism Act was signed on July 23, 2015. Protesters have called for the removal of statues in Virginia which precipitated the marches in Charlottesville on Saturday that ended violently. One person was killed and dozens were injured. The event started as a protest from White nationalist who were there to protest possible removal of the Robert E. Lee statue. The groups were met by hundreds of counter protesters and things quickly escalated.

So there is no need to protest, no need to cry, no need to throw a tantrum, just accept that at least in NC, a past leader with vision has your back. He was nice enough to ensure that our history will remain as it has, and if that frightens you, please find your way to the bus station.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Why now? After all this time.

I personally do not understand the benefit of these actions.

Can anyone give one positive outcome?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I don't know why people are afraid of art, but a select few seem to be bigly triggered over it. I am glad at lest in my state the law will protect the art. I feel sad for other states that didn't have the forethought to protect it when all this first started.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
It's about art now?

ok

link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Because "The Winners" get to write their own history ("herstory" for any feminist readers) These folks that direct their energies to inanimate objects have 'won' by getting everyone to bow down to their thoughts/feelings towards these inanimate objects..

Same crap they did in Egypt when they didn't like the Pharaoh.

Same thing the mercenaries dressed as "ISIS™" are currently doing...

link   
a reply to: network dude

We seem to have been lucky here in The U.K.

We have many monuments erected to ex Government & Military figures who have been accused of wrong-doing in the former British Empire.

However U.K. Citizens who either came from or have family links to the former colonies, are not crying out for these monuments to be removed.

Maybe i have spoken to soon.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Irony... In the best form.

I love how he says:

"keeping the statue is “just not right,” and makes the community a less welcoming place for diversity".

Me thinks that something about this statement screams oxymoron.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I don't know why people are afraid of art, but a select few seem to be bigly triggered over it.

And you're all over that.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
It's about art now?

ok

How are they not works of art?

And do you have an answer for the positive outcomes of removing them?
How will it improve the Country?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
It's about art now?

ok

What is a statue? Would it make you feel better to call it something other than art?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Why now? After all this time.

I personally do not understand the benefit of these actions.

Can anyone give one positive outcome?

It's a distraction, from the real News

Tick tock

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I hope this sickness doesn't spread over the pond. It's something that would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I have said it before and I will say it again!

As an American YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE OFFENDED !!!

By the very act of expressing your being offended, you also express a desire for someone's freedom of speech to be denied. This cannot be allowed to be done in a society which is built on the ideas of "freedom of speech and self expression". By "being offended" you are automatically offering up your own right to freedom of speech to be censored by someone else.

The only real right which you have if you are offended is the privilege to simply walk away from the presents of the offence. Anything else could incite events which "could" take away the very rights which you really want to preserve.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: alldaylong

I hope this sickness doesn't spread over the pond. It's something that would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

If it did there are enough imported foreigners living there, let alone the native fools who think they're god's gift to the world, to tear the place to absolute shreds. The UK is like a tinder box of this sort of thing waiting to happen.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
It was..... fashionable to be Sheik, then emaciated art deco, then Beatnic, then surfer, then stoner, then ecological, then grunge, then gay, then anti, then triggered.... this is the flavor of the month behavior. Scary huh...

What's next?

"As in the days of Noah"

Mathew 24:37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.

Believe or don't it makes no difference. but it isn't going to get better, only worse. You will be forced to take sides at some point. Beware.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

People seemed to live a lot longer in those stories and there were 'watchers' around. You mean that sort of thing is coming up?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I feel like I'm living in Fahrenheit 451.

The really frustrating all of this is that before this all started, I could have cared less about the confederacy. I always associated the flag with racism. The statues I just saw and acknowledged but never gave them any thought.

I didn't really care. Yeah, I knew enough about history, had read books on the subject. The civil war happened. The good guys won. Move on.

Now with this growing trend of eliminating every aspect of anything that some asshole find offensive, I find myself defending something I never really liked.

And while I don't like it, I know that it is important that we keep it, I understand the historical impact.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I feel like I'm living in Fahrenheit 451.

The really frustrating all of this is that before this all started, I could have cared less about the confederacy. I always associated the flag with racism. The statues I just saw and acknowledged but never gave them any thought.

I didn't really care. Yeah, I knew enough about history, had read books on the subject. The civil war happened. The good guys won. Move on.

Now with this growing trend of eliminating every aspect of anything that some asshole find offensive, I find myself defending something I never really liked.

And while I don't like it, I know that it is important that we keep it, I understand the historical impact.

I can't agree more. There is beauty in history, and it can't be washed away.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
you guys just don't get it, the statues are the source of the problem! like the monolith thingy in the Dead Space games!
if we destroy all of them, it's gonna be all rainbows and free hugs n' sh!#.

who needs to learn from history anyway? better erase the parts you don't like and feel like you helped make a REAL difference, when all you really did was kick stuff.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

In an article on Medium, Cooper wrote, “Some people cling to the belief that the Civil War was fought over states’ rights. But history is not on their side. We cannot continue to glorify a war against the United States of America fought in the defense of slavery

I wonder what native Americans have to say bout what's going on.

Since they were slaughtered wholesale after the norths 'righteous' war of northern aggression.

Pay attention to what's going on here people.

Pay REAL CLOSE attention.

They are justifying killing each other over political beliefs.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join