It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexandria

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Then again, he allegedly murdered a cherry tree....

He chopped down all the hard work his father putt into raising it. You know how hard it is to raise a cherry tree? They don't produce until mature, takes years of nurture.

As far as people like Washington and Jefferson owning slaves, they were black but more like employees, they took in escaped slaves and gave them refuge, sort of like we here Latinos today to pick our crops, mow our lawns and clean our hotels.

The difference between that form of slavery and the Pre civil war south is but a few bull whip strokes away.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

While we are at it, let's sink africa. They were a crucial part of American slave industry since they sold blacks to the slave ship captains. I mean, if we really want to take this back to the source right?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Then again, he allegedly murdered a cherry tree....

He chopped down all the hard work his father putt into raising it. You know how hard it is to raise a cherry tree? They don't produce until mature, takes years of nurture.

At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but in today's climate, you never know.
If you are being sarcastic, please ignore the following:

Have you raised a Cherry tree to maturity?
I have a 10 acre orchard. I have cherry trees among many other types. Apple, peach, pear, plum apricot, etc,
I also have a variety of berries and nuts.
I plant new trees and bushes every year to expand. This is my 14th year on this property.
Cherry trees are literally maintenance free. Just throw a net over them before they ripen, if you have a bird problem.
My cherry trees are virtually pest free without any type of spraying. Depending on the variety, most of my new trees start producing within 3 years. Bumper crops within 5.
I am a former dendrologist who studied both forestry and horticulture.
Feel free to ask me any questions regarding fruit production. I will do my best to answer them.

Now, if you were being sarcastic, Good one! I am against tree murder.

As far as people like Washington and Jefferson owning slaves, they were black but more like employees, they took in escaped slaves and gave them refuge, sort of like we here Latinos today to pick our crops, mow our lawns and clean our hotels.

The difference between that form of slavery and the Pre civil war south is but a few bull whip strokes away.

I have no comments for this other than I look forward to seeing you defend this statement as this thread progresses.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Can we capsize it like Guam?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

While were at it, the Washington Monument must be moved to a less prominent position, renamed, or torn down.

"While were at it", bulldoze the nations capitol, NewYork too.

In fact, American cities might be razed to the ground by firestorm the way we did Germany and Japanese cities during WWII. And that was just WWII.

Eventually, what goes round comes round.

The nation' s "capitol New York." Really?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: abago71

My cherry trees are virtually pest free without any type of spraying. Depending on the variety, most of my new trees start producing within 3 years. Bumper crops within 5

So then you don't mind if your kids chop down your trees?

Or what was the horticulture lesson about?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

While were at it, the Washington Monument must be moved to a less prominent position, renamed, or torn down.

"While were at it", bulldoze the nations capitol, NewYork too.

In fact, American cities might be razed to the ground by firestorm the way we did Germany and Japanese cities during WWII. And that was just WWII.

Eventually, what goes round comes round.

The nation' s "capitol New York." Really?

Haven't you heard, Wall Street owns Washington. Or is that "Unamerican" , truth burning your ears too...

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You have the erroneous idea that I am an American Imperialist. I am in fact an imperialist of the Rolls Royce Calibre, the type of Imperialist Harrods would supply to one, an imperialist that gave the world so very much. Are those superlatives enough for you to correct your mistaken assumption?
edit on 18-8-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Alexandria was named for the man who owned the land Philip Alexander who donated it for a trade center needed to reach the interior of the country try by water rout. His land had the deepest water on the Potomac. He didn't want to give them the land but he agreed when they said they would name the city for his family.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

a reply to: TerryDon79

I love the way you're trying to make this thread about me and not the issue at hand.

When you say 'love' you really mean hate.

Thank you for telling me what I mean.

But use words of affection like 'sweet pea' and 'love', to fly under TnC radar.

But at all. It's called sarcasm. Something you've clearly never heard of.

Not getting further sucked into that...

There was no reason for you to start it in the first place.

But it's ok. I've heard they've started selling safe places with no colour so "feelings" don't get hurt.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I say we make a law forcing every city to change their name to one that has the word moron in it till the time when the psyciatric board decides we've increased our intelligence level to the point where we can respect and treat our fellow man with dignity!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The title is misleading.
I thought the thread was about the naming of the city. It's not it's about left bashing again.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
The title is misleading.
I thought the thread was about the naming of the city. It's not it's about left bashing again.

I actually think it's bashing anyone who think monuments and buildings should be removed. As if it's somehow going to change history.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Three pages and not one post about the naming of the cities.
Well except for mine.
What's this thread about again?
You guys have trouble focusing or something?
edit on 8182017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

It s about monuments?

link   
a reply to: intrptr

You stated the difficulty in growing cherry trees to maturity.
I stated the ease of it, from experience.

If either of my sons were to chop one down, they would plant two in it's place.
It's just a tree. An easily replaceable tree.
Besides, the cherry tree story is a myth that has been heavily debunked.

Cherry tree myth

That link will send you to the official statement regarding the mythical cherry tree from George Washington's Mount Vernon estate.

Ironically, this iconic story about the value of honesty was invented by one of Washington’s first biographers, an itinerant minister and bookseller named Mason Locke Weems. After Washington’s death in 1799 people were anxious to learn about him, and Weems was ready to supply the demand. As he explained to a publisher in January 1800, “Washington you know is gone! Millions are gaping to read something about him…My plan! I give his history, sufficiently minute…I then go on to show that his unparalleled rise and elevation were due to his Great Virtues.”2 Weems’ biography, The Life of Washington, was first published in 1800 and was an instant bestseller. However the cherry tree myth did not appear until the book’s fifth edition was published in 1806.

You get a horticulture lesson AND a history lesson today.

link   

That is exactly what it is about. It is the left in the US that is currently engaging in this absurdity, but they are not the first to do so, and almost certainly will not be the last.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: abago71

Oh it's about cherry trees.

Geez

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

It s about monuments?

It's about all sorts of things, but mainly the idiots who have been defacing and destroying things because of the persons (or person who built it) history (slavery being the main one just now). Just done in a sarcastic type of way.

I kind of figured that out on page one lol.
edit on 1882017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Alexandria was named for the man who owned the land Philip Alexander who donated it for a trade center needed to reach the interior of the country try by water rout. His land had the deepest water on the Potomac. He didn't want to give them the land but he agreed when they said they would name the city for his family.

Fair one, but would the city have arrived at the name if the original Alexandria(s) had not been named as they were for the reasons they were? Genuine question. By the way, from the minimal research I did for this thread, Alexandria V.A. looks to be a very beautiful and interesting place. I may just have to pay a visit one day.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join