It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Older black man's unexpected view of the South

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Everyone is not the same. Some are greatful and proud of their heritage.

I am from the south and to raise the hatred you have to go to the large cities or college towns...at least here in Texas. In all honesty seems to me most of the south has intergrated better than places like New York and Cali.

This short
video of an older black man carrying the Confederate flag is well, I don't know. I will let you decide. At the very least it says he has a mind of his own and from my perspective is doing his best to bridge the gap.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn
Everyone is not the same. Some are greatful and proud of their heritage.

I am from the south and to raise the hatred you have to go to the large cities or college towns...at least here in Texas. In all honesty seems to me most of the south has intergrated better than places like New York and Cali.

This short
video of an older black man carrying the Confederate flag is well, I don't know. I will let you decide. At the very least it says he has a mind of his own and from my perspective is doing his best to bridge the gap.

At the very least it says he has a mind of his own and from my perspective is doing his best to bridge the gap.

No it says he's out of his mind

Its not a question of heritage--I hope southerners are proud of their heritage when it is exclusive of slavery holding and oppression...and there are things to be proud of BUT NOT THAT.
Not symbols of oppression

Just like Black people will never build statues to criminals just because their a part of our culture.

White people shouldn't build monuments to the evil criminals in their culture and history--and those confederates were criminals and traitors

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

You are truly ignorant for saying this black man is out of his mind. Who TF are you to speak for him white man??

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Symbols of oppression.....naw
Cmon now, it's not that to my way of thinking

If someone says that there flag is a symbol of historical oppression, I say to myself some S o b is lying to me.....and I stand in the gap redeeming the moment.....when I call out to all......to refuse to be a victim of a liar
edit on 17-8-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

No it says he's out of his mind

What? Are you saying he is out of his mind because he is a black man with opposing views of yours. That actually sounds racist. Is it just a pick and choose from who it is okay to be racist against in your view?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Thousands of black people actually served in the Confederate army. And they did it willingly. Of course you don't hear much about those guys, doesn't fit with the narrative they have been pushing down people's throats to keep everyone fighting and yelling "racist"! At each other while they keep going to the bank.

Gotta say, it's working well for them.

edit on 17-8-2017 by Cancerwarrior because: Added more

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Thousands of black people actually served in the Confederate army.

There were several thousand blacks that served as combat troops in the Confederate army and over a 100 thousand in support roles for the Confederate army. For some time the Union army barred black enlistment.

edit on 17-8-2017 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Really? This has nothing to do with monuments. You can give him no credit for not falling for the propaganda. The south has embraced our black neighbors far more than most states. God bless the gentleman for not falling for the propaganda that seeks to divide us.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

A nation that allows itself to be divided by worthless pieces of cloth has no virtue, and cannot be unified. Flags don't guarantee freedom. Abidance by the law does. In America, we the people have a legal document which is supposed to supersede all law. Its called the Bill of Rights, yet we continue to run further away from it as though it were the enemy.

Carry your flags to your graves. They'll add warm nostalgic flare to your cold tombstones. Then one day, the future generations can offer their lip services to glorify our white washed acts of hypocrisy.

edit on 17-8-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This Man is a prime example of what an Unbrainwashed Citizen looks like.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
CNN should be forced to give this proud American the Russian narrative treatment of non stop coverage. Have every panel talk about him for days on end as a condition to keep their privilege of holding a federal license to broadcast, so graciously provided by We The People.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym

Thousands of black people actually served in the Confederate army.

There were several thousand blacks that served as combat troops in the Confederate army and over a 100 thousand in support roles for the Confederate army. For some time the Union army barred black enlistment.

People seem to forget that the Union waged war against a supposedly insanely racist Southern regime and they did it with a segregated Union army. And even then it was only the last few years they allowed black people to enlist at all.

General N.B. Forrest alone had 50 black men who were part of his elite "Green Berets" that fought beside him for the entirety of the war. He said of them, "No finer Confederates ever lived".

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

A nation that allows itself to be divided by worthless pieces of cloth has no virtue, and cannot be unified. Flags don't guarantee freedom. Abidance by the law does. In America, we the people have a legal document which is supposed to supersede all law. Its called the Bill of Rights, yet we continue to run further away from it as though it were the enemy.

Carry your flags to your graves. They'll add warm nostalgic flare to your cold tombstones. Then one day, the future generations can offer their lip services to glorify our white washed acts of hypocrisy.

Think you totally missed the point. He was carrying his flag. You need to come live in Texas and experience the hospitality from many different cultures. It is everywhere except in the larger cities trying to be politically correct and a few small towns.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Dbl post.
edit on 17-8-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

(post by Spider879 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know that.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

You've missed my point. He is carrying the flag of a dead political movement. I personally believe the South had every right to leave the Union, but that time is passed. The confederate flag serves a better purpose in a museum. If people would put a fraction of the energy they spend on saluting useless flags, into preserving the Bill of Rights, this nation would be in a very different state.

As for Southern hospitality...no thanks. I've spent the past decade soaking in it with all the rubber necking and "bless your hearts". In the fast paced chaos of the big city, there is much more privacy. People don't want to take the time to know you, and that's the way I like it.

edit on 17-8-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I am the opposite of you. I admire Southern Culture and I think it's a wonderful culture though I agree that the South do have a racist past (I am actually a non white btw in case your wondering).

I do agree with your sentiments that we need to focus on the present and preserve the Bill of Rights.
edit on 8/17/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

You've missed my point. He is carrying the flag of a dead political movement. I personally believe the South had every right to leave the Union, but that time is passed. The confederate flag serves a better purpose in a museum. If people would put a fraction of the energy they spend on saluting useless flags, into preserving the Bill of Rights, this nation would be in a very different state.

As for Southern hospitality...no thanks. I've spent the past decade soaking in it with all the rubber necking and "bless your hearts". In the fast paced chaos of the big city, there is much more privacy. People don't want to take the time to know you, and that's the way I like it.

Perhaps I did miss you point. He used the means he had to make his point. he was proud of his ancestors and proud to be southern. Standing there with nothing ...who would have gotten it.

And I think you missed my point about big cities. Big cities pretend to be liberal but at the core think they are better. It is all political rhetoric. Small towns don't get involved in this and tho their may be some racism, they don't express it and embrace each other regardless the race. At least that is what I have experienced.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

In a similar vein, President Trump's African American friend/advisor named Omarosa Manigault, was hammered by an Urban League group last week. The invited her there to speak. The moderator proceeded to embarrass her, in front of the entire audience, for working with the Trump Administration.

You have to be mentally deficient, to bad-mouth people who have the power to screw up your life.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join