It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documentary Shows what they claim to be F-117 comp

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Link?

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

For what? I'd been up all night so maybe I'm a little slow

edit on 17-9-2017 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: clay2 baraka

As far as people disappearing, it reminds me of a thread here on how to i.d real players.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

I'm going to have to do a deep search, if been looking for about 20 mins. It was a thread on how to tell if some one was working at location that required certain clearance and the process of getting said clearance

I can't for the life of me remember the thread author or title, and there is so much about those topics here on ATS there is ALLOT to sift threw.

I hope someone else here read it and can help out, I've gone threw many pages and different search parameters and there are 1000's of results

But I'm looking, might take a little bit

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ahh I just found it, I remembered the f 16 comment

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Weird..started reading that yesterday as it was bumped in recents.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

It would be interesting if there was a way to see who reads what forums, I betbyhere would be allot of cross over.

I knew someone here would know what thread I was talking about.

I think allot of what is said in the posts there is very applicable

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: spaceman42

Anyone have any info (or conjecture) on the "missing" F-117/YF-117 suffixes? Between the Nighthawk variants and the Boeing B.O.P.? Or after it? I've seen the theory that the "E" was an undisclosed stealth aircraft..but no proof or even details to the theory..

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What about another nation providing the companion? Perhaps the mysteriously ended project known as the MBB Lampyridae?

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CrownCartwheelCreed

You are making the same mistake that spaceman42 made in thinking that there is a linear progression in these designations. That is not the case.

The practice of using non-standard mission/design/series (MDS) designations began with Project HAVE DOUGHNUT in 1968. The project pilots were trying to figure out how to log their flight time in the AF Form 5 and Navy flight records. For security reasons, they obviously couldn't list the airplane as a MiG-21. The solution was to use a designation that had not been previously used, and would never be assigned to a production aircraft. The "Century Series" designations (F-100 and beyond) had been phased out in 1962, and only one designation was needed for the project. They picked YF-110B since YF-110A had been briefly used to designate the Air Force version of the F4H-1 before it was formally designated F-4C under the new standardized MDS system.

Now, a lot of people would like to draw a straight line between the YF-110B and the YF-117A with all the known and missing designations in a neat row, but it didn't work that way. The numbers were not assigned in any linear or logical order. In 1969, two MiG-17F aircraft were acquired for evaluation purposes. Although the two airplanes were physically identical and were sometimes even flown together on dual sorties, they each received separate designations and project names. The HAVE DRILL project aircraft was designated YF-113A. Because the AF Form 5, at that time, did not accommodate tail numbers, the HAVE FERRY project aircraft was designated YF-114C.

In 1970, a borrowed Chinese-built MiG-17F (J-5) was flown at Phu Cat Air Base, Vietnam, with the designation YF-113C. This designation was recycled in the early 1990s for a completely different aircraft.

In 1970, the YF-114C was joined by a MiG-17PF (designated YF-114D), and several MiG-21s. Since, by this time the AF Form 5 had been modified to accommodate tail numbers, the MiG-21s were all designated YF-110B.

The Red Hats pilots who fly these planes refer to the aircraft as "classified prototypes." Although they are not true prototypes, the airplanes are used for experimental and developmental testing (the latter being more along the lines of operational test and evaluation). Non-standard designations were also applied advanced technology demonstrators and full-scale development prototypes of domestic manufacture (YF-117A (Senior Trend), YF-117D (Tacit Blue), YF-118G (Bird of Prey), etc.). Recently, a few two-digit designations have surfaced, as well.

Again, these numbers are not assigned in a linear progression and any "missing suffixes" are usually just those that were never used (or not yet used).

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shadowhawk
a reply to: CrownCartwheelCreed

Again, these numbers are not assigned in a linear progression and any "missing suffixes" are usually just those that were never used (or not yet used).

With F-19 being the most famous one

I agree with your statements in your post. I have come to think that the designation for the Companion is very different from the F-117, because as we concluded, it originally was meant for a very different role. I would be logical that is was given a designation fitting that role and it simply never changed.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: spaceman42

The designations for classified aircraft often have little or nothing to do with their actual role. The YF-117A was a prototype attack aircraft and the production fleet just carried on with the F-117A designation instead of being assigned an A-XX designation as it should have had. The YF-117D was a demonstrator for a battlefield surveillance aircraft, not a fighter. Who knows what designation it might have ended up with operationally.

The entire MDS system is totally jacked up anyway, even in the white world where the X-35 technology demonstration eventually yielded the F-35. It should probably have been the F-25 or something. The P-170 became the RQ-170. Don't even get me started on the KC-46. It's madness.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

A useful but no longer updated website on the MDS.
www.designation-systems.net...

The yahoogroup by the same name is still active though low bandwidth.

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I'm curious about the modded aircraft like the designers were playing with having turboprops on my F111 and turbines on that Hercules....I swear...we had pics on the wall at Mtn. Home in 1972

then the pics didn't stop///...i was amazed at least a dozen or two modified pics and a blurb saying most didn't work and why

new topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join