It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abraham Lincoln monument torched in Chicago

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Lincoln almost certainly was a racist, ISTR several choice quotes about the inferiority of black people that are attributed to him. But what matters is what he did, not what he felt. He did the right thing, regardless of personal prejudice, because he had faith in human nature and a sense of justice. And that's why he's remembered as one of the true American greats.

More prosaically, you could look at composer Richard Wagner as a sort of parallel instance. Rabid Jew-baiter, idolised by Hitler, but his cultural legacy - some of the greatest opera ever written - is untarnished by his unpleasant personality.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

You don't think this might be the doing of pro-Confederate folk? Their hatred for Lincoln is probably stronger than an anarchists general hatred of statues.

I'm sure it was. Trump has a tell, and when he started calling out American founders, I knew it was a signal to his base.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: xuenchen

You don't think this might be the doing of pro-Confederate folk? Their hatred for Lincoln is probably stronger than an anarchists general hatred of statues.

Just saying, look at motivation here. One side has been wanting statues removed for a few years and the other has been hating Lincoln for centuries.

That's about as likely as a Trump supporter burning down a black church in Greenville, Mississippi.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Most people in the south DO NOT hate Abraham Lincoln.

link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Just saying, look at motivation here. One side has been wanting statues removed for a few years and the other has been hating Lincoln for centuries.

No matter who did it, that really sucks.

In that neighborhood, no way hozay.

Everything is closely monitored around there.

Many people in Chicago understand they live in the institutional coral zones.

So closely monitored that nobody has any idea who did it?

Actually the Chicago Police know who did it.

The MSM will not tell you.

Link?

Sure.

Don't you think if a "Confederate" did this the MSM in Chicago would have it plastered all over the place by now.

Aside from Chicago never letting a good crisis go to waste, thay also contain all their "inner crises".

Whatever, I was just saying we don't know. No amount of arguing will make us "know". We just have to wait. I'm not trying to convince you of any stance aside from the stance of "we don't know".

Trust me.

The Chicago cops know all about this.

link   

originally posted by: netwarrior
a reply to: ketsuko

You know, Southerners do migrate for things like work, kids, and family. I'm a Cajun but I spent a good long time in the Appalachians. Damn near married a Kentucky girl.

Poor you. Or was I not supposed to feel bad for you? hard to tell.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
chicago.suntimes.com...

A West Englewood resident interviewed Thursday speculated that some burn damage to the Lincoln bust may have been caused by fireworks set off on July 4th.

“People were out partying on the 4th of July and lighting fireworks off of it,” said Christopher Jackson, 22, who lives two blocks from the statue and saw the revelers also light newspapers on fire on top of the statue.

“It’s f—– up, honestly,” said Jackson, who works as a cook at a downtown eatery and chatted while waiting for a bus steps from the statue.

“You’d think people would appreciate it,” he said. “Abraham Lincoln is Abraham Lincoln. He’s one of the people who helped us. He freed the slaves. That’s a big one.”

Jackson suspects the vandals didn’t know the weathered statue, its nose chipped off, actually depicted Lincoln. “I didn’t even know until just now,” he said, adding that the statue seemed like another aspect of a blighted community dotted with run-down buildings and boarded-up homes.

“It’s insulting to leave it just like this with nobody trying to fix it,” he said.

...regardless of responsibility here, this strikes me as being very much like the guy with three dogs in his yard who never cleans up their dogcrap pitching a fit when his neighbor's dog pisses on one corner of his fence. Selective outrage and convenient reverence of a figure that the same folks presently outraged clearly hold very little personal respect for. I'm sure Abe would be proud.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Maybe the good citizens in that section of Chicago are upset that Abraham Lincoln help to end slavery. Perhaps they would rather be slaves again?
edit on 8/17/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

thank you. I've been reading the comments from the peanut gallery and laughing.

Hey racists! , who's side won the war and freed the slaves? hint hint

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Industrialists and globalists won the war, but those slaves weren't freed... just given new masters and new quarters.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

You 2 need to visit that neighborhood.

After 15 minutes, you will understand completely.

The cab you take from the airport will even wait (as long a police car is there too).

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Maybe you should tell the White nationalists and the kkk that.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
*Sigh* I started watching Ken Burn's film "The Civil War" last night on Netflix because I think he does a beautiful job of letting you see both sides, and as one historian says, "You cannot understand how the United States is today without having a good understanding of the Civil War and the outcomes, good and bad, that came from it."

I do recommend it, no matter what your political views are, because it humanizes the horrific tragedy and gives faces and hearts to those involved. Matthew Brady's pictures are still probably the most heart-wrenching pictures of war to ever be seen.

In the south here, the "Northern War of Aggression" is still in our faces. Georgia, now my home, received the worst of it. Lady Georgia had her face shoved in the dirt and her beauty savaged in Sherman's march to the sea. Nobody received more shame, more retribution, or more punishment than Georgia. I was just down in Savannah and saw the mansion where Sherman set up camp after he took it over and sent a telegraph to Lincoln on Christmas day 1864 saying, "For Christmas, I give you Savannah".

After doing a lot of reading, I do believe that Lincoln was determined for all the states to be chained together, and state's rights were thrashed because of him. Do I hate him? Absolutely not. He was a product of his time. I'm not a fan, but he is part of American history, he paid dearly for his beliefs and actions, and I was not there. Heck, my folks didn't get here until the early 50s. Because of Lincoln and Washington, I got two three day weekends in February where I didn't have to go to school (before they crunched them together for 'president's day', what a RIP OFF).

Burning a statue....alrighty then. Done by another fool who didn't pay attention in science class.

WHO did it isn't as important as WHY. WHY is the question we need to ponder....the WHO is secondary.

Cui bono? Follow the money, honey, and stop watching the MSM. It's not a Trump thing. I doubt a southerner drove all the way to a place where it's as easy to get shot as it is to buy ice tea and skittles, and tried to burn a statue. Next thing you know, somebody will be saying he was the gunman on the grassy knoll.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

No matter who did it, that really sucks.

Absolutely. We don't know who and until they're caught laying blame is premature.
I hate the idea that historical markers and monuments are now fair game for the new moral elite.
I don't know how else to describe people who are so filled with rage and self-justification who feel the need to punish someone or something because of an invisible enemy.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

For what cause? I'm not all that impressed by virtue signaling, but clearly some are... got anything of actual substance to bring to this table?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing. Honestly, your post brings more sanity into this issue regarding the most likely proposal of why? This statue was set on fire. So the only confusion left is why is the media making it a more divisive issue? Is it simply money or is there really an agenda at play?
edit on 8 17 2017 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

For what cause? I'm not all that impressed by virtue signaling, but clearly some are... got anything of actual substance to bring to this table?

that's funny. why be such a jerk? You can discuss the civil war until the cows come home, and you won't draw me into a discussion about it. I was just pointing out what should be obvious. That's all for you.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
When will people finally wake up and condemn violence, rioting and vandalism on ALL SIDES.
Looks like only one person with a voice in America is actually on point.

Because furthering division serves some ones or several groups agenda? It is hard to believe this is happening without some string pulling on both sides of the conflict and being encouraged to new levels of extreme acts. Kind of like the notion that banks and arms dealers will fund and supply both sides in a war.
edit on 17-8-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Good LORD. This isn't a board game or a football game, and the free use of the word 'racist' now is giving me a freaking HEADACHE. This "Neener neener we won we won" is pathetic. Blacks were used for their votes by the Democrats after the war with promises of 40 acres and a mule. Instead, they still got burned, their wages were still pennies on the dollar, and they still suffered. Owning a human being is a sick thing, but the lies of the US government after their 'victory' towards the black race was every bit as sick. It took 100 years after the civil war for them to get equality. Lincoln did NOT think they were equal, and he said it straight up.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Most people in the south DO NOT hate Abraham Lincoln.

Who the hell would hate Abe Lincoln?

Obviously someone(s) do but imagine being so mentally unstable and sad in your personal life that you spend your time and energy looking for historical figures from hundreds of years ago to get triggered by.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join