It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abduction or SP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
My sister seems to think that my episodes of sleep paralysis and exploding head syndrome are really alien abductions. I never considered it before but since she mentioned it I've been doing some research and reading on the topic. There are a lot of articles, stories and opinions out there about it but nothing really convincing to me. I just figured SP is a neurological condition that no one could explain. But I have to admit that there are some similarities... Anyway, I wanted to put it out here to see what you all thought about it...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It's probably unusual that a person experiences both these phenomena, I'm sorry to hear you suffer from it as I'm sure it's quite unpleasant.

But to attribute it to alien abduction is unnecessary. And I can imagine the association makes the experience of sleep paralysis even more uncomfortable for you.

If you've never thought of it or associated the experiences to abductions yourself you shouldn't think anything of it.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

The short answer is that I don't think anyone knows for sure. There seems to be a lot of momentum behind the theory that most abduction scenarios are not happening physically, or materially. They are actual experiences and not falsified, but just happening while the person is in, or because the person is in, an altered state of consciousness. So the entities doing the abductions are not necessarily ET's. Whitley Strieber seems to be going this way with his own abduction experiences.

I would also greatly caution against doing any kind of regression hypnotherapy. It is fraught with extreme danger, IMHO.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Time will bring the answers you seek. For the moment, attempt to find peace for yourself regardless of the causes. The less time you spend here reading replies to your thread, I think, would be the best approach.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If it feels like your head is exploding, immediately go to the doctors. I just survived a ruptured brain aneurysm and that exploding feeling is what I had before it happened. Really get that checked out and don't wait.
edit on 17-8-2017 by Diabolical1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Alien abduction seems the only real logical explanation.

Don't bother setting up a camcorder, they cloak themselves well.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Hey thanks for all of the replies and thanks for the concern, it is appreciated.

But the SP doesn't bother me at all... I mean it used too when I was younger because I had no idea what was going on. I researched it, as I do, and read all about it. Now when it happens I find that I can sort of control what's happening in terms of visions and can almost have an out of body experience. I also learned that if I focus on just moving my pinkie, it'll snap me out of it and last, when I do have it I tend to think it's because I am dehydrated. If I get up and chug some water right after an episode, it goes away. It was just interesting that my sister brought it up.

As far as the exploding head syndrome... I don't feel like my head is going to explode at all. It's another neurological condition that happens when I'm falling asleep. Right before I actually fall asleep I'll hear a very loud 'SNAP' inside of my head. I don't feel it and don't see anything, I just hear it. Oddly enough, something about it feels good on a physical level.

I don't have SP that much, maybe once or twice a month, but I can always tell when it's coming on.

I also have misophonia so I guess I'm a neurological mess LOL!

But seriously though, the SP / Alien thing has a lot of coincidence. It peaked my interest. Thanks for the words and thoughts on the subject!

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Hypnagogia is the experience of the transitional state from wakefulness to sleep: the hypnagogic state of consciousness, during the onset of sleep. Mental phenomena that occur during this "threshold consciousness" phase include lucid thought, lucid dreaming, hallucinations, and sleep paralysis.

Source: Wikipedia.

That is the "official" term. That is also how skeptics completely dismiss abductions. Give it a name and call it a mental disorder then ignore.

Abductions are full on events. They can also scar you emotionally. One good check to see if you have been visited is go to a book store, find a copy of Whitley Strieber's Communion. Look at the cover for several seconds, put the book down and walk away.

The next part you can come back to if you want to do this experiment on yourself.

******* WARNING: DANGER WILL ROBINSON! SPOILER ALERT!! *******

The cover is designed to be close to a typical grey alien that Strieber claims visited him in upstate New York. The key word being, "close". He had the artist misrepresent certain aspects on purpose. I found that out in one of his later books.

Here was my reaction. I looked at the cover. Put the book down. Walked out of the bookstore and into the mall. Did some shopping. Then as I was about to leave the mall, I turned around, walked across the length of it back to the bookstore and picked the book up. I knew it was not right but didn't know why. Now I know. I believe to have been visited at least on one occasion. There is also a point in the movie version of the book that made me involuntarily jerk (I'll leave that one for any to find!). Exact same thing happens in the movie that happened to me.

******* END SPOILER ALERT!! *******

That is one check you can do to try to differentiate a hypnagogic state from an abduction scenario!

Everybody says, "If I was abducted I would..." which is not how it goes at all. It is sheer terror to not be in control of yourself surrounded by what can only be given lame words like "grey" and "alien". It is truly non-human. It is not fun.

The hypnagogic state is much tamer (although I've encountered something that just was blackness and exuded evil once). Lucid dreaming is fun when you get the hang of it. The loud pops are irritating when all you want to do is sleep.

Hope this helps! I did not have the net to rely on when this happened to me many years ago so I share what I've found out in my travels.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

Noted. No camcorders

Oh, how about the baby powder on the floor trick? Or does that only apply to hauntings?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I thought it was lack of oxygen and a body reflex to make you wake up and breath about more.... or something.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I don't have SP that much, maybe once or twice a month, but I can always tell when it's coming on.

Couple of questions...
Does it come on you when you are falling asleep or waking up?

In what way can you tell its coming on?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Trauma to the left side of head at about the age of four or five years old?

Hard enough to cause concussion.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Lucid dreaming is fun when you get the hang of it.

Depends on your dreams.

Last time I had an intense one it went from trying to talk to some girl I think, to being dissed by her penguin (dont ask), to being nearly ran over by said penguin in a car (seriously dont ask, it was like a rabid Pingu), to seeing a massive... thing... monster... down a road with the sun in the background (I had just watched Skull Island a day earlier, hm), to running down the road from that monster only to calm down and start hitchhiking instead, but after a while some clingy salesman on the road tried to sell... stuff I guess, no idea what... but then more people came and they started attacking me and when I realized they where pretty much zombies I started yelling I'm dead, I gotto be dead this is all kinds of wrong... and I woke up seeing myself jerk up in third person on some stone slab with a blue kind of alien thing person looking down at me in first person (yes, try to figure out *that* perspective shift when you see it both at once). Then I woke up for real, thought about it and started laughing because that was bat# insane. It felt like I had dreamt all night, just one continous dream. I dont even know where the hell the last part with the alien came from because it was just out of nowhere.

TL;DR

F*ck you brain.

F*ck you.

I wouldnt want to lucid dream my dreams.
edit on 18-8-2017 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It happens when I am falling asleep. I know it's coming on because I can hear what sounds like a train coming in my head. That train noise gets louder and louder until it's screaming so loud that my ears physically hurt, then it stops and I am in sleep paralysis

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Hypnagogia is the experience of the transitional state from wakefulness to sleep: the hypnagogic state of consciousness, during the onset of sleep. Mental phenomena that occur during this "threshold consciousness" phase include lucid thought, lucid dreaming, hallucinations, and sleep paralysis.

Source: Wikipedia.

That is the "official" term. That is also how skeptics completely dismiss abductions. Give it a name and call it a mental disorder then ignore.

Abductions are full on events. They can also scar you emotionally. One good check to see if you have been visited is go to a book store, find a copy of Whitley Strieber's Communion. Look at the cover for several seconds, put the book down and walk away.

The next part you can come back to if you want to do this experiment on yourself.

******* WARNING: DANGER WILL ROBINSON! SPOILER ALERT!! *******

The cover is designed to be close to a typical grey alien that Strieber claims visited him in upstate New York. The key word being, "close". He had the artist misrepresent certain aspects on purpose. I found that out in one of his later books.

Here was my reaction. I looked at the cover. Put the book down. Walked out of the bookstore and into the mall. Did some shopping. Then as I was about to leave the mall, I turned around, walked across the length of it back to the bookstore and picked the book up. I knew it was not right but didn't know why. Now I know. I believe to have been visited at least on one occasion. There is also a point in the movie version of the book that made me involuntarily jerk (I'll leave that one for any to find!). Exact same thing happens in the movie that happened to me.

******* END SPOILER ALERT!! *******

That is one check you can do to try to differentiate a hypnagogic state from an abduction scenario!

Everybody says, "If I was abducted I would..." which is not how it goes at all. It is sheer terror to not be in control of yourself surrounded by what can only be given lame words like "grey" and "alien". It is truly non-human. It is not fun.

The hypnagogic state is much tamer (although I've encountered something that just was blackness and exuded evil once). Lucid dreaming is fun when you get the hang of it. The loud pops are irritating when all you want to do is sleep.

Hope this helps! I did not have the net to rely on when this happened to me many years ago so I share what I've found out in my travels.

I looked it for a couple of seconds and it made me feel nauseous. But maybe because you put the idea in my head.... but I don't like it. Years ago I was going to therapy and tried that edm thing and I didn't think anything was happening but I had that same "jerk" like a whole body one from out of no where

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl
Now when it happens I find that I can sort of control what's happening in terms of visions and can almost have an out of body experience.

I experienced OBEs for years before experiencing SP. To me it usually feels like an OBE where I just can't break free.

It can be scary but after a couple times it stopped bothering me. I found that just switching the fear off, probably easier said than done, either throws me into a lucid dream or I find myself looking down at myself. Either of those two situations are fine.
edit on 18-8-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon described in many cases of abductions. If the subject has negative rhesus blood and artistic ability it could be investigated.

If yes, if the subject is female recently has "probably" delayed the menstrual cycle, almost a suspected pregnancy.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I used to get SP as well mate,I think I got it more when I was more tired through work,anyway it was bloody horrible I wouldn't be able to lift my head& I tried screaming at my wife to wake up,at the bottom of my bed there always seemed to be a big black void& I felt like there was always something there,thankfully I haven't had one for a while.all the best with that mate.

new topics

top topics

join