It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Trump is convicted of something not Russian collusion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
After reading through this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I had a question that was off topic. So here it is;

What if the special council investigating Trump and his possible ties to Russian interference do not find any connection between Trump and Russia; but do find some other unrelated illegal activity in Trumps past?

The reason for the special council and investigation will proove to have been a witch hunt, but at the same time Trump will be ligitamyly damaged by it.

What would be the ramifications of this out come? I mean besides half the country being happy to see Trump go?

Will this be a new political tool used on all presidents (and others) going forward? Relentless investigation until something, anything, is found?

If so would that be a good or a bad thing? Would it scare away good candidates for political office, or would it insure that we eventually get only good candidates?

How would those that support Trump react? Will they accept his ouster or will they feel robbed of their elected choice? If the later how bad will the outrage be?

PS. Just to be clear I'm not endorsing the validity of the linked thread.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

I don't think a sitting president can be prosecuted for a crime.

He can be impeached by congress, as was Bill Clinton. Then a separate congressional action may be able to remove him from office. Any time during this process, he may just resign, like Richard Nixon. Prosecution is unlikely. Conviction is less so.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
IMO, as long as Pence takes over, Trump supporters would be satisfied. The country will be back to a typical Presidency, for what that's worth.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

If they find something, it isn't a witch hunt.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

That is the definition of witch hunt.

No proof of the so called reason.

Going after someone for something totally unrelated.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Special prosecutors are supposed to have a specific thing they are to investigate. They aren't meant to have an open book of things to investigate.

AKA, they can't look for something, find nothing and decide to look for something else.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Unrelated to what? What's your proof that Russia is the only reason for the investigation? Aside from the media narrative which you claim you don't believe in the first place?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I keep hearing 'witch-hunt' being used, as if Mueller is going off the rails of a very specific and targeted mandate. I don't believe that's accurate however, as Rosenstein literally gave Mueller about as wide a mandate as was possible, to paraphrase:

"any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated" with Trump's campaign, and also to examine "any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation."

So to answer the OP's questions, technically if something illegal materialized during the search into the Trump campaign's Russian involvement, then it would be fair game as per the wording of the mandate. That still doesn't mean Congress would have any desire/inclination to act on it (which they likely wont ever).

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Explain to me how Russia hacked the electoral college and why Clinton got more votes.

I am sick to death of this Russia false flag bullsnip.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Like Wayfarer said above, the way the Mueller thing was set up was so open-ended that it's basically the biggest fishing expedition in history. And to answer the OP's post, if something illegal is found, then yes they can recommend prosecution but the impeachment process would have to be carried out first (a sitting president cannot be charged with a criminal offense, they have to be removed first).

I strongly doubt any of that will happen, or probably already would have. We just have another 3.5 years of this media feeding frenzy to look forward to.
edit on 8172017 by oriondc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: oriondc

Not fishing expedition.

Payback for Benghazi.

link   
We need a new forum category "LA LA LAND"
this thread definitely belongs there....

link   
I've made no bones about the fact that I think Trump is a fool, but I would not support his impeachment for "unrelated crimes" unless those crimes were treasonous against the United States.

For one, I don't particularly want Trump impeached because then we get Pence. Whereas Trump makes it impossible for the GOP to get anything done, Pence WILL get things done, and I probably won't like them.

But also on principle, this investigation is about Russian influence in the American Democratic Process. Any impeachable findings should be limited to that scope.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
One thing to keep in mind is that if Trump's approval rating drops into the mid 20s, he may get driven out of office by his own party en masse. I don't support that either.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
In other words..

This is Hillary's pushback. We are witnessing the tremendous influence of the Clinton crime family and associates. Dirt will be found and it will overshadow her crimes. (in the public eye)
edit on 17-8-2017 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

It is akin to the Deputy who pulled You over for having a malfunctioning brake-light then break out the "Is there any drugs in the car? Can I search it?

Fruits of the poisonous tree... You can't find an elephant in a shoebox. They'd have to have 'Probable Cause' in order to secure a Search Warrant..

I'm sticking w/My original prognostication and Herr Drumpf won't last the year, and not only will it be announced on Twitter™ but it'll be everyone else's fault and Herr Drumpf will type "I tried..." then go and file another bankruptcy...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Unrelated to what? What's your proof that Russia is the only reason for the investigation? Aside from the media narrative which you claim you don't believe in the first place?

The proof is in the reasons stated for appointing a special counsel to begin with...

Deputy Atty. Gen. Rod Rosenstein relied on that authority Wednesday to appoint Robert S. Mueller III, the former FBI director, to carry out “a full and thorough investigation of the Russian government’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election.” This investigation should include “any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump.”

www.latimes.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

a reply to: underwerks
Explain to me how Russia hacked the electoral college and why Clinton got more votes.

That's not the subject of the investigation.

If and why members of the Trump campaign colluded with the Russian government in both donating time and energy towards electing Donald Trump and waging a propaganda campaign on the American public. That is the subject of the investigation.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

That isn't really how a witch hunt works, though - is it. You just point and screech that Goody Trump is a witch.

new topics

join