It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple prerequisite to discussing current political events

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Simply ask when the civil war took place, if a person doesn't know, then what perspective do they have on history? One should not speak about what which one does not know anything about.

I fully expect people to not know exact dates. An approximation in decennials would suffice. look its not about the date literally. Its meant to show one has potential initiative in accruing basic knowledge. To understand something truly is to understand it in its whole. For everything we do on this earth is rooted deeper and broader then many people care to look or at least acknowledge. A narrow perspective is like a knife, capable of splitting things in two.
edit on 17-8-2017 by MConnalley because: (no reason given)

A good read
Schmoop Politics in the Civil war

edit on 17-8-2017 by MConnalley because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I can understand your sentiments in regards to a historical discussion about the Civil War but I promise you that a large majority of the protesters from both sides could not accurately answer the question in regards to the actual dates.

Most people would have a problem identifying the current Vice President or any from the past few administrations. It is not required to take part in most discussions about current politics to be fluent in history. Should we be, of course but current is current and a proper discussion can be had without a history major.

The current atmosphere is more about common sense anyway and common sense dictates that racism and Nazi views are inherently wrong and most people have common sense

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MConnalley
Simply ask when the civil war took place, if a person doesn't know, then what perspective do they have on history? One should not speak about what which one does not know anything about.

What civil war ?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MConnalley

But why would that matter? I'm horrible with numbers and dates. It's some kind of learning disabitliy of memory issue. So I use a calculator/excel for numbers and write things down. If I need to know dates I google them.

When the exact dates of the Civil war was is not really relavent, is it?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MConnalley

High tech Colt 44 cal cap and ball revolver.

photo credit: calvin-gunvalues.com

This is a replica of Confederate model.

Back in the '60s I asked my parents which side we were on. They deflected the question.

My Father was from a Northern state. My Mother was from a Southern state. I was born in a state which was too involved with eliminating native Americans to get involved in the war.

edit on 17-8-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MConnalley

It wasn't 1812 because that war had it's own catchy name...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I fully expect people to not know exact dates. An approximation in decennials would suffice. look its not about the date literally. Its meant to show one has potential initiative in accruing basic knowledge. To understand something truly is to understand it in its whole. For everything we do on this earth is rooted deeper and broader then many people care to look or at least acknowledge. A narrow perspective is like a knife, capable of splitting things in two.

new topics

join