It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you don't go to church?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I was being both cynical and sarcastic.

It's already been mentioned in this thread, but I was referring to the many accounts of priests sexually assualting and molesting children.

Who is the old guy with blue hair? heh

[edit on 082828p://9u02 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
---------------------------
"The question I think most of us (in this thread) would ask of you is: Why do you feel it of a necessity to attend church to have a relationship with God? "

--------------------------

And, if you think it is necessary, then why would you exalt the husband as the head and high priest of the wife, so that women can hear others wispering within the church that well, if her husband doesn't really want her there...."
or is this why so many have come to the conclusion that church is unnecessary. Man's right to lordship is more important?

--------------------------

A man had gone to church for many years, but then suddenly stopped going. The pastor became concerned within a few weeks, and went to visit. He went and knocked at the door, and the man, sad and dreary, opened it and let him in and made him a cup of hot tea. The two sat silent after that, the pastor enjoying the warmth that the fireplace provided. A long time passed before the pastor even moved, and when he did, he opened the fireplace, and took one of the coals out of the fire, placing it aside, all alone. He then sat there silent, watching the coal as the glowing ember lost it's glow and burned out. Once it died, he put it back into the fire and it quickly came back to life. The pastor silently stood, put on his coat and walked to the door to leave.

"Pastor", the man finally spoke.
The pastor turned and looked into his eyes.
"Thank you for visiting, I'll be in church this Sunday....and, oh ya, thanks for the fiery sermon.

-----------

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
LOL
Funny, with a great point. I like it. Thank you very much for posting it. The strange part is, I hear a lot of stories like the one you just told at church! They lift you up, make you think and learn. How about that...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I don't go to church because, well, church sucks.

You go to service 2-3 hours a day, give a portion of your money (which funds your pastor's navigator, or benz, or whatever's his flavor), and hear about how Jesus died and how you're going to hell for blah blah blah. Come on, I don't need that.

I agree with the people who say that no middle man is necessary to reach the Supreme One. That's what I think.

Don't get me wrong. I ain't knockin anyone who goes on a regular basis. Do it if it works for you. But for me, I haven't been in 3 years. I might go with my peeps to visit, but I won't go on my own. No organized religion appeals to me right now. I don't feel an urge to worship Allah, I don't feel an urge to attend a synagogue, and I don't feel an urge to return to the church (sorry bout all the negatives).

I know that a higher power exists, and I know that this power has an influence in my life. I also know that this deity doesn't require me to follow an organized religion in order to lead a good life.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well I don't goto ANY church for a multitude of reasons, one of many being that I've been banned from the churchs and I mean from all the churchs. Though it doesn't stop me from causing hell at ther services every sunday.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I am probably about to waste my time, but here goes.
What about a Buddhist Wat?
What about a Sacred Circle?
What about a few friends gathered together to celebrate or discuss what ever text they believe is sacred? (Whether it's the Christian Bible, the Bagivad Gita, the Koran, the Wiccan Rede, or the Talmud.)
What about sitting under a tree praying / meditating / being thankful?

Are these not forms of "church going?"

Talks about religion always seem to center on Christianity and Christian churches. Correct me if I am wrong on this one, it's been many years since I studied the Christian Bible, but isn't there a passage about when ever two or more are gathered . . . ? If my memory serves me right, the Bible I studied didn't say that I needed to go to a special building to be in church, it said that I should "not forsake gathering together." I don't remember it saying how often this should take place either. Therefore, if I gather my friends / family around me on any sort of regular basis for the purpose of learning / discussing / sharing knowledge - then haven't I been to church by Christian Bible standards?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Why you don't go to church?

Because I am not in the market for the product they are selling...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I don't go to church simply because i don't feel what everyone else is feeling. I don't doubt what they feel, I just know that though i've tried to find peace there or in a book it hasn't worked.
The closest i've felt to god (i prefer higher power) is times when i feel love and kindness. Whether it be I get a flat and i'm in the middle of nowhere with no Jack and some kind soul decides to spend his night helping me out. Or when i help a lost child in the mall to the security office and hold their hand til there parents come.
To me ,these are times taht i feel inside that there is some sort of magickal goodness in the world. I don't knock the reasons people go to church, Hell i don't knock why people go to football games , I don't get either of them. I just know that It's not my cup of tea.

[edit on 16-2-2005 by bordnlazy]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I do man! Every time I climb into bed with my wife.

There's all sort's of communions kiddies...

Authority is an illusion in the minds of govenors - Lao Tse

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
I don't go to church because, well, church sucks.

You go to service 2-3 hours a day, give a portion of your money (which funds your pastor's navigator, or benz, or whatever's his flavor), and hear about how Jesus died and how you're going to hell for blah blah blah. Come on, I don't need that.

I agree with the people who say that no middle man is necessary to reach the Supreme One. That's what I think.

Don't get me wrong. I ain't knockin anyone who goes on a regular basis. Do it if it works for you. But for me, I haven't been in 3 years. I might go with my peeps to visit, but I won't go on my own. No organized religion appeals to me right now. I don't feel an urge to worship Allah, I don't feel an urge to attend a synagogue, and I don't feel an urge to return to the church (sorry bout all the negatives).

I know that a higher power exists, and I know that this power has an influence in my life. I also know that this deity doesn't require me to follow an organized religion in order to lead a good life.

I'm feeling it. I went a decade and a half without church but once I found a church home it was awesome. Check around. Find one with a good band or soul choir for starters. Usually they get you energized. A pastor who has a lot of heart and maybe some humor may help keep your shouting amen on the inside. Otherwise, flip through the Book sometimes and keep that direct connection.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
because God didnt go to church.

God spoke on mountaintops....at the side of rivers....on the meadows of mountainsides....in gardens....in the streets, in the homes of people, in the slums of jerusalem, at the houses of lepers, prostitutes, adulterers, god testified and spoke everywhere but at a Church.

there is a great lesson in that.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
for me, i have a problem with the 'cookie cutter' version of things in church. America is getting away from the truth in the Gospels. For example, there was a big stink made about the 'violence' in "The Passion". What in the world do they think crucifixion is if not violent?? So for me, things just didnt add up in my methodist church. then i switched to baptist and it's a little better. So for me, it's got more to do with the church getting away from it's core beliefs trying to be policially correct. I'm sick of people saying "he's a good person so he's in Heaven now" and Christians thinking the same thing. That's a cookie cutter version of things and just not true according to the bible. So...that's why I stopped going for awhile. Well, that and it interferes with football coverage HAHA (joking)

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Like others here i have no need for church i pray and worship wherever i am. The world is my church.

Originally posted by Purplesunn
America is getting away from the truth in the Gospels. For example, there was a big stink made about the 'violence' in "The Passion". What in the world do they think crucifixion is if not violent??

America is fast becoming a nation of faith not fact. A nation where the unpleasant aspects of human existence are simply airbrushed away. Link

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
god isnt real......to me at least....hes an "uncle sam" figure if you will....hes a ficticouse man made up to whip people into having faithfull morals and a subconcouse belief in whats concidered "proper"......you can take anything in the "bible" and relate it to a mother goose tale, easy to take a moral,and somehow morph it into a fake story.....*cough* the bible is a prime example of this.....dont go to church.......do bad things and LIVE LIKE A FREE PERSON SHOULD........religion isnt freedom....

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by topsloth22
god isnt real......to me at least....hes an "uncle sam" figure if you will....hes a ficticouse man made up to whip people into having faithfull morals and a subconcouse belief in whats concidered "proper"......you can take anything in the "bible" and relate it to a mother goose tale, easy to take a moral,and somehow morph it into a fake story.....*cough* the bible is a prime example of this.....dont go to church.......do bad things and LIVE LIKE A FREE PERSON SHOULD........religion isnt freedom....

Hmm. I don't disagree with your complaint. Most religious systems breed control and not freedom. However, I don't think you should put that on God. That is a human creation; a human story. Nor should you, in my opinion, generalize God as a Christian dogmatic one.

I think Universe when I think of God....I think about science, and dreams...

Anyways, there are many tales of God, so don't get all tied up with the biblical one. But I guess you already made up your mind on that

[edit on 062828p://21u29 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolmaker

because God didnt go to church.

God spoke on mountaintops....at the side of rivers....on the meadows of mountainsides....in gardens....in the streets, in the homes of people, in the slums of jerusalem, at the houses of lepers, prostitutes, adulterers, god testified and spoke everywhere but at a Church.

there is a great lesson in that.

That's it right there. That's my reason.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
because the bible tells me things that i know not to be true, i.e. creationism. the world was not created in 7 days and its more than 10,000 years old.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
*It's more of a get together than what it should be
*Everyone is too concerned with what everyone else is wearing
*you listen to "one" person's view/interpretation/ideas on everything
*Some Christians are hypocrites "Love your neighbor except those who are different"
*the majority of the people there were out the night before drinking, having sex, doing drugs, or any other things that is "unchristian" but sit there on Sunday morning and act righteous....those same people are great at telling others they are ungodly because they sin...
*though many Wiccans attend a church for worship if a Wiccan church is not in their area, I don't.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Its just like music. Some people can naturally make a tune out of anything whereas others need to have music played to them.

If I went to church then it would be like going to watch a third rate band play songs I dont like.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesBlonde
If I went to church then it would be like going to watch a third rate band play songs I dont like.

The problem I had with Christian music a few years ago is that most of it did suck from a talent perspective. I mean, love the effort but as you said, a bit third rate. Just like concerts though, there are good bands out there and the music has gotten better. Switchfoot is Christian, POD is implied, Jars of Clay and Newboys (re-mixed CD) is pretty kickin' so churches are following suit these days. My only wish would be for mine to mix it up by rotating in a soul choir with funk or heavy-bass. Ah well, can't please everybody. Though a good band is nice, is it really the reason peeps should go to church?

[edit on 1-3-2005 by saint4God]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join