It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you don't go to church?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Because those candy waffers have no flavor and the portions suck!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
There are other churches that don't discriminate against divorcees. Only God knows your situation and your heart. My recommendation would be if you're looking for a church home to check out either Protestant or Reformed Presbyterian. Not saying there aren't some other very solid churches, just going by my experience when I played the 'Round Robin' game visiting various churches.

Originally posted by amb1063
that was it for me. i worship on my own.........i haven't even looked for another church...........i pray multiple times daily...........i have experienced much joy thru my personal relationship w/christ...........i have been given special messages from GOD for myself........i have a strong faith in GOD but i don't have a strong faith in the concept of the "church".

angie

Thanks for the testimony
. This seems to work well for you and believe it or not, being here on ATS discussing God is a kind of 'church'. I hope these discussions help strengthen both of our faiths.

Pray, train, study.
God bless.

thanks much S4G............i'm a work in progress........but i've decided when i'm ready i will explore other churches...........i realize there ARE good ones out there..........i'm certainly not proud of being a divorcee..........but its part of my past.........part of who i am.............and if GOD doesn't reject me for it.........then WHY should some church that is run by MAN........reject me!!!

thanks
angie

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

There are other churches that don't discriminate against divorcees. Only God knows your situation and your heart. My recommendation would be if you're looking for a church home to check out either Protestant or Reformed Presbyterian. Not saying there aren't some other very solid churches, just going by my experience when I played the 'Round Robin' game visiting various churches.

that was it for me. i worship on my own.........i haven't even looked for another church...........i pray multiple times daily...........i have experienced much joy thru my personal relationship w/christ...........i have been given special messages from GOD for myself........i have a strong faith in GOD but i don't have a strong faith in the concept of the "church".

angie

Thanks for the testimony
. This seems to work well for you and believe it or not, being here on ATS discussing God is a kind of 'church'. I hope these discussions help strengthen both of our faiths.

Pray, train, study.
God bless.

thanks much S4G............i'm a work in progress........but i've decided when i'm ready i will explore other churches...........i realize there ARE good ones out there..........i'm certainly not proud of being a divorcee..........but its part of my past.........part of who i am.............and if GOD doesn't reject me for it.........then WHY should some church that is run by MAN........reject me!!!

thanks
angie

I don't know angie. According to John 3:16 it sounds like you're good to go. Also, who can say they don't have scorch marks in their past? If they answer honestly, I'd say not one of us.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

That is fascinating. Depending of your status, there is a church for you. There is a church that says: divorce is o.k and the other church says it's not???? Wow..... I did not know that. I only go to church when there is a special event like a wedding or a death...and it's plenty of very old people. So if a church is not happy with something, they start their own religion in another one....So there is a church for divorced people!!?!?! Is there a church for gays? for polygamists? for anything that you think is o.k but priest in the other church says it's not!
I'm learning something today guys....better not go to church at all than go to an hypocrite church
Any way, god is always with you whatever what you beleive in...beleive in yourself, your own little god inside your heart

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia
That is fascinating. Depending of your status, there is a church for you.

I don't believe in 'tailored' religion. There's doctrine and not doctrine. I'll explain further because it'll be easier to clarify with your following questions.

There is a church that says: divorce is o.k

Under Mosaic Law, it was okay. Jesus says this Law was when our hearts were cold and should not separate from our spouses, HOWEVER you cannot stop your spouse from leaving. It's all in there. What is and is not adultry. DESPITE the fact a divorce is in one's history and for arguments sake just say it is a 'sin' (this is an entirely different discussion), nowhere does Jesus say your sins cannot be forgiven.

and the other church says it's not????

Churches should recognize the Bible as doctrine, it's pretty clear on these issues.

So if a church is not happy with something, they start their own religion in another one....

Doctrine is doctrine, let no church breach the Word.

So there is a church for divorced people!!?!?!

Addressed above. If your church isn't doctrine, it's time to find one that is.

Is there a church for gays?

Welcome to the split decision. Most seem to go with the idea that it is a sin, but aren't about to exclude ANYBODY from attending church.

for polygamists?

None that I know of. One could argue Mormon, but I'm sure they'd argue otherwise.

for anything that you think is o.k but priest in the other church says it's not!

See above.

I'm learning something today guys....better not go to church at all than go to an hypocrite church

I would agree with you. The Word of God comes first. The church should be following it. If not, I don't think it's wise to go.

Any way, god is always with you whatever what you beleive in...beleive in yourself, your own little god inside your heart

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think some field research is in order for those who think church is 'simply no good'. You've gotta go out to the churches and find out for yourself. It's easy to dissuade people to not go because it's easy just to sit on our backsides and come up with excuses. It takes real work to get up, get out, and get the true education.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am a christian (not catholic though) and i used to go to church all the time. Sometimes i enjoyed it and sometimes i didnt, like all people. Then when i turned 18 i was given the choice to go or not to go. i am 19 now and only go occasionally which is not much. I am still very convicted in my christianity but my views on church are different now. I believe that a person does not need to go to church to get to heaven. in my opinon church is there in the same way that you have a hospital, school, or a support group. it is there to aid you on your path it is not THE WAY. and so i go when i feel like i need that extra boost sometimes when i am feeling down or when i need a refresher to be around people with common religious views that sort of thing. I believe that i can worship and learn about God no matter where i am. and i know so many people that go to church on sunday and then don't pray or talk to God at all through out the week. i dont want church to be my catch up point for all the stuff i didnt do through out the week.

to put in a nutshell:
i believe church is there for people that need to be surrounded and held accountable by others in order to stay or feel uplifted in their faith. which is not a bad thing.

I believe that the way to heaven is not by going to church but through your personal relationship with God (Jesus Christ).
So when i feel like worshiping God in the style that the church does than i go. or when i need to be around others who are focused on learning what i am then i go. I go when i need that extra boost of support.

otherwise, God holds me accountable not church.

Kind Regards,
Melissa

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
the question should be why should we go to church?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drew Da General
the question should be why should we go to church?

I'd asked myself the same for over a decade. Recently though I found out the Pastor teaching spends a good deal of time studying, reading and relating the Bible to everyday experiences and decisions.

1. Depth of wisdom and knowledge

I was surprised to learn there were people there who I could help.

2. Help other people

And that I have gone to some of them for advice when they've gone through similiar situations

3. Personal growth

The band rocks!

4. Free concert

And they have a theatre group to develop a skill I had put on the shelf some years ago.

5. Volunteer in charitable groups

I've noticed there are a lot of opportunities in everyday life to help the people around me.

6. Gain direction

But foremost:

7. Another opportunity to worship and praise God.

Is church 'required'? No. Does it help? Yes.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Why I don't go to church. There is only one answer. I am lazy. Plain and simple I am lazy. I NEED to take my children, for their sake, to church. I am too lazy to get up and get us out the door.

Another lessor reason, dragging my husband to church is worse than dragging a teenager. I SHOULD have the wherewithall to just say, "The kids and I are going, join if you wish". I *personally* would feel so badly about being in church without my husband, I don't. Guilt tripping him into going isn't much better

My husband says he doesn't go because of the hypocrites. Who the hell cares about what anyone else does or thinks??? I don't. I don't care if the guy next to me chases women all week long. It isn't my issue. I am there for ME. For my kids. Not to worry about what everyone else is doing wrong.

I have to say my husband has a right to feel ill about church, for his own reasons. Time to get over it though. It isn't just about him. The crux of the issue is though, he is not living up to his spiritual leader of the family role, so I am going to have to fill it. I haven't yet as I am too lazy.

I have never experienced the church telling me I am going to hell. Or than any particular group is. I don't think hell and damnation are spoken of. What I hear in church is how to lead your life right. How to treat others well, how to focus on the good things

Yes, I read the bible and pray, Yes, my children have a early reader bible and I pray with them. It isn't enough though. Going and learning MORE and hearing new ideas and being around others with similar beliefs is.

Some of the most wonderful feelings I ever remember having are my older teen years in young life. I remember being around other kids my age and it was such an uplifting and positive experience. I can't put it into words. Those that have experienced it I am sure understand. If you haven't, I am sure you will tell me how wrong I am that it is different than communing with yourself.

Both my husband and I always feel better after church. It just uplifts us.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by llpoolej
Another lessor reason, dragging my husband to church is worse than dragging a teenager. I SHOULD have the wherewithall to just say, "The kids and I are going, join if you wish".

LOL! Sorry, I do that these days (after a year of shyness). I felt guilted into staying home and got tired of it. I say, "I'm going to church tomorrow, do you two wanna to go?"

Great post llpoolej, the candidness it always appreciated

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Because I have faith, but don't believe in religion. Religions try to tell their followers how to live, what to think and what meaning to get out of the bible. I read the bible and I have my own faith. I don't need to go to church to have faith. My God doesn't require it!!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

grew up in the southern baptist church.........all fire and brimstone being taught anyone other than southern baptists were going to HELL cause being a SB was the only way to get to heaven. the churches i attended placed HUGE emphasis on alcohol,tobacco,inter-racial marriages,marrying outside of the southern baptists church, divorce and lord knows what else, but all the previous things were WRONG.....a SIN and you would go to hell no questions asked.

Interestingly enough, as a FL cracker, I was raised SB as well...went to Sunday School as a kid, etc. etc. Yep, I can still remember all the words to "Father Abraham", "Michael Row the Boat Ashore", etc.
You could say that I was a "holy" terror in my class, as I would constantly try to argue with the teacher using the deadliest sin of all....logic.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sure seems to be alot of misconceptions and wow, "bigotry" toward a large group of people. I have never had questions or logic be considered wrong in church.

I think that people often wrap up the things they don't like(or that they have *heard* about) in different religions become THE way that all churches and demominations preach/act.

There isn't just ONE Christian church. Because not everyone interprets the bible the same way. All of the Christian churches have the same basic components, but the minor stuff differers.

Going from an apostolic-to methodist-to mormon-to catholic-to southern baptist would all be VERY different experiences.

I know that the Methodist church(at least any I have ever been to!) doesn't condemn knowledge or questions, and they sure don't tell you that you are going to hell.

It is always so disheartening to see people who are here to "deny ignorance" that spread rumor and untruths as fact.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I don't go because it would be hypocritical, seeing as I believe christianity is the most successful cult in human history.

I'd probably audibly guffaw at any mention of noahs ark, garden of eden, and they never like the questions about christs childhood years ( I mean if there was a star and 3 kings at his birth, why did he come to jerusalem years later with only a handful of believers ?)or why god murdered all those poeple in soddom and gamorah and with noahs flood, and where was he during the holocaust if he thought soddom and gamorah was so terrible ? that was nothing compared to what we've been up to in the last 100 years.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Because at 9:30am im in bed, asleep and nothings gonna get me up.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar

3. The church was founded for power pourposes and I refuse to go. This is a total misconception... It may be what it is becomeing in this day of age and in the dark meidievil ages but its hardly what it was founded upon.

Oh really...=)

I was pretty sure original Christianity was diverse and Gnostic in nature and the orthodox church later came around and suppresed many Gnostic texts from being included in the Bible and replaced it with a stark orthodoxy of distorted and narrowed dogmas and a political hierarchy. BTW: those suppressed Gnostic texts including doctrines on reincarnation, preexistence of souls and a divine spark within everyone; which meant everyone could potentially be like Jesus (enlightment). I wonder why they wanted to suppress that? I'm thinking control of the masses.

The concept of the mass originated directly from Christ himself as we all know

That is controversial. I will argue that if you want?

The question I think most of us (in this thread) would ask of you is: Why do you feel it of a necessity to attend church to have a relationship with God?

[edit on 072828p://9u49 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The reasons I (should) go are:
fellowship, to be encouraged, to make friendships, to worship with others,to be prayed for, to pray with, to hear a new take on scripture, to study with others and get more than just my own version.

It is like going to a football game and sitting with people cheering on your own team. The atmosphere is contagious and envigorating.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Why do I not go to church?
Because I am an Ahteist, and even if I believed in a god, I would see no reason to go to a building to hear some overly religous person preach.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by llpoolej

It is like going to a football game and sitting with people cheering on your own team. The atmosphere is contagious and envigorating.

Unless you get your wang touched that is...I suppose that could be envigorating?...

If that's how you view it then why not just goto a football game? You can buy beer there =)

[edit on 082828p://9u11 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
OK, *WHO* is touching your wang?? The guy next to you, the girl next to you, the old blue hair?????

Why is it that is the strangest thing I have heard. Worrying about sitting in church and getting your wang touched

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join