It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you don't go to church?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I've attended services at a few different churches on an exploratory basis, most often going with friends that were members of the church. In all of them I never was struck by any feeling of belonging or connection to what was being issued forth by the pastors. I follow an elastic form of Pagan Tradition, Folk Magic and Shamansim so not only would going to church on a regular basis kind of clash with my current belifes but unless I honestly believed in that church and their version of Christinanity I would consider it disrepectful to the church and to my own faith.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I dont have any reasons TO go, its boring, time consuming, pointless, boring, pointless, boring, and sometimes even pointless and boring.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   

I here from people all the time who say stuff like , " I don't want to go to mass because I don't believe in organized relgion. I think that faith is a personal matter and should be between you and God only. So I refuse to go to mass"

Why is it that alot of people say this? Why don't you go to church?

I'm pretty sure they answered your questions in that example...

Why don't you go to church?

Same reasons listed above and the fear of getting my wang touched while im praying.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Product Placement

I don't go to church because I'm not buying what they're selling.

And what every church is selling is some sort of mind control.

Name your poison, but as for me, no thanks.

I'll pass.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Why Don't I Go To Church??.....well I used to go to church then I got
to thinking, I wonder what happens if I don't go to church?
Guess what? Nothing!! No Difference.

I agree with Marge I don't need any middle man telling me I'm
going to hell or how to find god or whatever.

If your going to find God you'll do it on your own.

To add, I found a lot of people that did go were hypocrites, I think Marge may have said that as well.

By hypocrites I mean: sex drugs and rock and roll all week, then come
sunday, oh please forgive me Lord for I have sinned.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I don't go to church because...........they felt that maybe it was better if I didn't go.
Which made me feel like maybe there was nothing there I really needed.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
- I was happy being a 'home-study' Christian.
- I didn't feel the need
- The ones I went to were boring/dry/repetitive

But that changed about a year ago. I found a church after occasionally attending different ones in the area and now I go because:

- The pastor is right, interesting, and mixes it up
- The people are real
- You can come as you are and yes I've seen peeps in football jerseys and mini-skirts. Nobody cares really, they're just glad you're there
- The band rocks!
- I've joined the theatre group and their into full production, acting classes, post-production parties, trips and such

There are different styles of churches from traditional to contemporary. We have the luxury in this country to 'shop around'. Better to go to a church that will lift you up than go to one that will bring you down. If you have to home-study, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but if you can find a good fit, "oh the places you'll go!" (as Dr. Seuss said)

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I can read the bible on my own, and im not a good singer.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick
I can read the bible on my own, and im not a good singer.

S'all good, I don't think there's any Christians out there that say "YOU MUST GO TO CHURCH". The Bible makes clear what's needed as I'm sure you know from your readings. There are some mornings I don't want to go, but when I leave I'm always glad I went. I wouldn't worry about the singing, I can tell you there are a lot of people at my church (myself including) who need the practice. Your breath is more important than your voice.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
two places I avoid bars and churches
go to any small town go to church on sunday then anytime after hit the bar
pay close attention and you will see why lol

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Whether or not "God" exists is not a question anyone here can really answer. Those who follow relogion may be right in believing in a higher power, and they may be wrong.

What is definitely wrong is the idea that to pay your respects to whatever deity you believe in, you must pay homage to an organisation such as a church. Organised religion has long been used as a tool to control the masses, instill loyalty and repress people. Take the Russian Orthodox Church for example, before the revolution in 1917, fear of damnation was exploited to make the people absolutely loyal to the autocratic Tsar.

People's faith must be respected regardless of whether you agree with it or not. It is my belief that religious organisations do not respect their congregations, as they are run like businesses and are often used to impose ideas which were never part of the original belief system.

If you are religious, the only way to avoid the attempts of the clergy to indoctrinate you is to pay your repsects independently. That way you can truly express your own beliefs.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Maybe if the priests could keep their hands off the kiddies, more would come to church, no?

While the above doesn't help matters, it's likely more due to the fact that most people realize that the church was pretty much established for control reasons back in the day, and to enrich itself. While the flock may still believe in the idea of God, they've lost faith in the church, and with good reason. Scandal after scandal, with even the high profile evangelists constantly revealed as men of sin, even local priests guilty of some of the most heinous sins imaginable, and you are surprised people aren't attending church?

On the contrary, I'm still amazed that in an age where we've walked on the moon, that some still tremble at the thought of disappointing or angering some absentee father in the sky...
Luckily, it seems that mankind is slowly growing out of this stage...

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
the responses here were very interesting. good topic.

i grew up in the southern baptist church.........all fire and brimstone being taught anyone other than southern baptists were going to HELL cause being a SB was the only way to get to heaven. the churches i attended placed HUGE emphasis on alcohol,tobacco,inter-racial marriages,marrying outside of the southern baptists church, divorce and lord knows what else, but all the previous things were WRONG.....a SIN and you would go to hell no questions asked.

my youth was spent in FEAR of a vengeful GOD. i didn't experience the JOY of a relationship with GOD because i was terrified of all the mistakes i was making..........even though i was saved.........i was still terrified of what was going to happen when GOD got mad at me.........

then in my 20's i opened my eyes and started studying the bible on my own.........and listening to different pastors speak, opened my mind to other religions and other concepts..........and WOW WEEEE.......did you know that SOUTHERN BAPTISTS aren't the only ones going to heaven

i tried the SB church one more time in my 30's.........and wouldn't you know it.........the sermon i attended was directed to the heathen hellbound DIVORCED people......and dang it..............in their eyes i'm a heathen hellbound divorced person..........even though BOTH my ex's broke the 10 commandments by committing adultry...........i'm still a "tainted" woman in the church.

that was it for me. i worship on my own.........i haven't even looked for another church...........i pray multiple times daily...........i have experienced much joy thru my personal relationship w/christ...........i have been given special messages from GOD for myself........i have a strong faith in GOD but i don't have a strong faith in the concept of the "church".

angie

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
OK i want to comment on some stuff I've heard alot of.
1. As I've said befor the number of preist convicted of sexual abuse is a verry low precentage and the odds of your local preist being one are low.

2. If your pastor is boring and thats why you left thats a fully understandable reason. Your pastor is really at fault but you could show some courage and stick it out. Some are stronger than others so I really can't blame you.

3. The church was founded for power pourposes and I refuse to go. This is a total misconception... It may be what it is becomeing in this day of age and in the dark meidievil ages but its hardly what it was founded upon.
The concept of the mass originated directly from Christ himself as we all know. In the 1st - 5th centuries christains were under strict percuciton and it was not until ( this could be wrong emperor) Constatine saw a vision of a cross in the sky and converted the empire to christanity was the percutions lifted. But in the percustion bands of christians would meet in catacombs risking their lives to go and see maybe the one and only preist in the area once a month or as often as possible to partake in a sacred ritual that was the center of the faith. Many times the romans would infiltrate and have every person at the cermony sent off to the 'Circus Maximus" or be crucified asap. Even in home prayer the people had threat of this but they had faith and they believed that even in death for christ they would have eternal life. They were willing to risk it all. The whole cermony grew from this and was based on the last supper. The mass was hardly created by people trying to seek power. It was created by people trying to seek eternal life.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I believe that jesus died not just to save my soul, but to make the relationship between me and god a personal relationship which does not need any intermediary. Therefore I dont feel the need to go to church for spirtual fulfillment. However I do at times go for the sheer joy of worship and fellowship that can be found in good church.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Why don't I go? I got burnt out....I grew up a ministers son, and went to church every sunday and wed till I was about 16 or 17. Some stuff happened in my family that slowly pulled me away from the church, but if that wouldn't have hapened, I still probably would have stopped coming due to the "burnt out" factor. I have a strong relationship with God, but since leaving the confines of the church, I have been able to open my eyes to alot of things I never would have before. I am 27 now, and coincedently enough, I just began going back to a local church with my wife and 1 yr old son. It's kind of refreshing, but that's because I can go there with a new set of "eyes" and see things in a whole new light. I certainly don't feel obligated to go, and will continue to go until I feel like the whole church going scenerio becomes more of a chore than anything else.

Now, on another note...I think that one of the main reasons people went to church much more frequently, say 10 or 20 or 30 yrs ago, is becuase the church was supposed to be a safe refuge from the evils that we get bombarded with in our everyday lives. With the recent priest rape scandals, I can definitley see why that feeling of safety is lost. Why go to a place where you have almost a 3% chance that your priest or minister is a child raper? Why put you family in that kind of danger? I feel no sorry for the RCC, expecially when they keep playing the numbers game. They justify the small percentage of evil priest by the large percentage of priest that just haven't been accused yet. That is not right!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I don't go to church because I do not believe in a lot of things they teach there nor do I truly believe everything in the bible. I don't believe that religion should be organised and I believe that my religion is just a mutual respect between me and our father. Jesus Christ is an example for all to follow and I try to abide by the ten commandments to the best of my ability, I ask for forgiveness at intervals for my wrongdoings and I also from time to time say a few words to our father just to let him know i'm there and what's happening in my life.

I also must say that I feel that my religion with god is a private thing and I feel privacy in religion is important in a secular society so that my religion does not overbear onto others.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 9-2-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Hi, my name is ______________ and I am a recovering roman-catholic. Baptised at 5, Communion at 7, confirmation at 14. When I was young (10-11) church interfered with my watching Transformers. Otherwise, I enjoyed the solemn atmosphere of the church. I used to go with my grand-mother. We were driven there by my grandfather, who slept in the van or went shopping while we were inside. There were very few times I actually went to church with anyone else. I had, however, gone to church with my grandfather a couple times. Most of the time, we never stayed until it was over, leaving about half-way through. A couple times, we went inside, he said a short prayer and we left and went to the library until mass was supposed to be over. Another thing, he never sat down. He always stood in the back. Apparently, he knew he wasn't staying long. He was a firm believer in god, though, I think he thought the church decadent. He was an amazingly intellectual man who thought learning was the most fun and most important thing anyone could/should do. As a teen wanting a Nintendo, I found it to be quite irritating as he wanted me to get a computer. I ended up with both(Lucky? No, unfortunately it was his life insurance money that paid for the computer). I understand his attitude toward knowledge quite a bit better. I also understand his attitude toward religion better.

You can believe in god and not the church.
You can still be a good person with morals and never set foot in one.
I believe in the church and the bible less and less with each passing news article.
Too much EVIL has come from fervent belief in a book, written when people thought the earth flat and the center of the universe.
The church has killed/tortured/maimed more innocent people than Hitler, just happens to be over a longer time span. (Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, Witch trials all because of what the ruling spouters of faith percieved or wanted!)
The god represented in the bible and in church is nowhere near a perfect being, god sounds all too human, having changed his mind time and time again what is good and righteous. Being wrathful and jealous.
I am not a firm believer in hell either. A perfect omniscient being, knows what evil a person will do millenia before they are born. If god knew that an Adam and Eve would not obey him (the mind of children they had, because they had no concept of good and evil - this they gained from not obeying god) why would he punish them and all of us for their sins? What kind of fool punishes all for what two have done? For god to destroy two cities and only Lot spared for he is the only good person in two cities??? For only Noah's family to be spared and the world destroyed??? Not to mention the flood caused god to change his mind and vowed never to do that again, then change it back with revelations???
I started seriously questioning the bible and religion when I joined the Army. I was having a hard time dealing the idea of killing people and turned to faith in the "Good Book" for reassurance. I lost most of my faith in that book at the same time. I was seeing Chaplains, oh those wonderfully religious people who are trained to kill and some having actually killed. They are from all faiths, Jewish, Christian, Muslim (for example, but not limited to) for the Army must have representatives for every faith of every soldier.
TRAINED PREACHER/KILLERS?!!! Tell me organized religion is not mind control??? Organized religion is terrorism, "do this and be fearful or else!!!" Because if God doesn't smite you, we will smite you in his name! And for those of you who would like to say your particular subsect of christianity is different, I have been to many different christian churches before the Army and even a couple afterwards. I have serious problems with them all. I no longer feel that warm fuzzy feeling inside. But guess what, I am by no means LOST. I see what I must do, I see more clearly without the blindfold of blind faith covering my inner eyes.

I will end my rant with this:

Last time I went to church(a southern baptist one - never again) the preacher was going on and on about his trip to the Ukraine. About how while he was there he met a man in his 20s who was focused on building a truck from junk parts. It was a small town with a very small population living mostly in poverty. Very few young people and very fews cars. The preacher was "worried" about this young man for he left no time for god. About how if he gives god some time, god might give his life direction and meaning. Boy I really bit my lip because I really wanted to stand up in church and yell at him. Apparently this man of god, who speaks with god, couldn't see the answer or the reason right in front of him. That maybe GOD is the subtle reason this man was focused on building this truck. In a small town where cars and people are scarce, perhaps GOD was guiding his hand in making this truck! The town sounds like it needed it and the young man desperately, by the time he is finished building this car, he would have an astounding amount of mechanical knowledge(for that town) brought about by the process. Perhaps this young man was one of the tools GOD was using to bring these people up from poverty.

For some reason I feel most people talk to GOD more than preachers!

[edit on 9-2-2005 by technicus]

[edit on 9-2-2005 by technicus]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
There are other churches that don't discriminate against divorcees. Only God knows your situation and your heart. My recommendation would be if you're looking for a church home to check out either Protestant or Reformed Presbyterian. Not saying there aren't some other very solid churches, just going by my experience when I played the 'Round Robin' game visiting various churches.

Originally posted by amb1063
that was it for me. i worship on my own.........i haven't even looked for another church...........i pray multiple times daily...........i have experienced much joy thru my personal relationship w/christ...........i have been given special messages from GOD for myself........i have a strong faith in GOD but i don't have a strong faith in the concept of the "church".

angie

Thanks for the testimony
. This seems to work well for you and believe it or not, being here on ATS discussing God is a kind of 'church'. I hope these discussions help strengthen both of our faiths.

Pray, train, study.
God bless.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
...........they felt that maybe it was better if I didn't go.
Which made me feel like maybe there was nothing there I really needed.

Wow, I can't believe "they" would do that to you. Talk about non-"christian" behavior? If "they" are people whom you care about, what does that say about them?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join