It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battle of Britain flights grounded

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker
Yeah screenshots are too large to upload to ats taken from my phone. I tend to use the phones picture editor and crop the edges to make the pic smaller.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Metal in the oil from the Hurri.Merlins are getting rather old now and metal fatigue will become at issue.I do know Roush builds new cylinder heads and other bits for the Packard Merlin plus Retroair was doing some big Db601 castings.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Does raise the question if theres nobody qualified to fly a plane what does happen?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Crew changes are mainly to do with Insurance on type.Off memory its a reason the French B17 doesnt fly anymore as the Insurance company classifies multi engined aircraft as an "Airliner"...
Its training "on type" that they look at.There are not many people worldwide that have the ability to be an instructor on a Lancaster.BBMF start the crews on the Dc3 I think then build them up to the Lanc.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Cohen the Barbarian
I'm betting the "pin" in question will be the gudgeon pins. Having those fail would result in an engine throwing a con rod out the side of the engine block or similar with disastrous consequences. Therefore grounding the fleet and stripping the engines down will be time consuming but a really, really good idea. Damn! I was hoping to get to Duxford next month to see them. Its a time consuming process that's best not rushed so this could ground the fleet for weeks or possibly the rest of the season. Its not like good and experienced Merlin re builders grow on trees these days.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

They'll still have some spits flying mate and the B17! I sent you a pm as well mate

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Cohen the Barbarian

What's interesting to me is that it must be a part that is changed periodically or routinely across the fleet. How else would it necessitate a total grounding? There are a lot of pins in this style of engine and if a batch of new parts was faulty then that could be the problem. The reason it could be such a big deal is that it could be a pin that is buried deep within the engine and requires a major strip down to change. In that case anyone would suggest to just do the total overhaul right then and there, early. Better they are on the ground then falling to it. Pin failure under load is never good no matter where the pin is in the engine.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Didn't one lanc engine just catch fire?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join