It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battle of Britain flights grounded

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
The Lancaster, a Spitfire and the Hurricane all part of the battle of Britain display have been grounded. It's apparently due to the Merlin engines maybe not being airworthy anymore although the news article and sources haven't gone into any great detail about what the actual problem is. news story

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Truly gutted, we're already missing out on the Reds this year due to them being off on a diplomatic tour, or something along those lines. Cheers for bringing attention to it.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Luckily I've managed to catch the Red Arrows this year they're always amazing to watch at any show.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   

We'll not be so lucky in Jersey 🇯🇪 this year, although as a replacement we're having the British debut of the Baltic Bees, a bunch of L39 Albatros' aircraft, which I'm really looking forward to, so it's definitely not a complete disaster

Jersey International Air Display

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I've always wanted to go to Jersey may have to make a visit one time to coincide with an airshow.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

You wouldn't regret it, and the best part is the air displays free, to boot

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
There will almost certacertainly be a central financial aspect to this.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
There will almost certacertainly be a central financial aspect to this.

The thought did cross my mind as there isn't a mention of other merlin powered planes being grounded. Plus the Lancaster hasn't long been out of maintenance.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Some Spitfires will still be flying that are powered by the Griffon according to the BBC.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This is from the Battle of Britain memorial flights twitter page
Edit: Oh FFS why oh why has my phone stopped allowing me to post pictures it's beginning to pee me off as I've tried adding photos to the RIAT thread

Anyway there was a fault with the Hurricanes merlin engine so they have ground all merlin powered aircraft to make sure the faults are not effecting them as well. Griffon and Gypsy engined aircraft are good to go
edit on 17-8-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: Stupid phone having trouble uploading pics

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Are the images over a size limit that's what it was doing to me had to edit them first.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

No one is saying exactly what the problem is, but the prevailing comments seem to be it's not an insurmountable fix, just going to be difficult. There are also people saying that if they don't get the Lancaster flying before its heavy maintenance, they're going to have problems getting it going again after. The crew is either near, or past their certification.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I really hope that doesn't happen would be a tragedy not to see the Lancaster fly again.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Yeh that would be a kick in the teeth if the lanc doesn't get to be flying again in fact after seeing it at RIAT (first time seeing it fly in a few years for me) it would be a great shame if it went the same way as the vulvan

Off topic: Woody I use tinypic.com to upload from my phone. Perhaps it's a size issue but the image I was going to post on this thread was only a screen shot from my phone of the BBMF twitter page so I wouldn't of thought the image size would of been large. When I've posted the images and I've sent the reply to the thread, where the image is it just comes up saying the image has been deleted or there's a problem with it

Maybe I need a better site to upload my pics

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Try Imgur. I use it and it's easy.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Cheers Zap! I'll give it a go

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Nothing sounds like that.....YouTube has 10 Merlins going over at once, ya can tell the throaty ness

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I've seen the Lancaster and its a beauty, was walking home and there at 100 ft or so it popped past just at the right moment, flabbers being ghasted is a good phrase.

With getting the birds up again it would be a pain as who certifies the pilots if you don't have someone safe at the cockpit to sign them off?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Speculation is always fun, especially when there's so little to go on. The article says a problem was found with a ""pin" in the Merlin engine. What pin? If it's a matter of the pin failing, or showing signs of imminent failure long before its rated time, it may be the fault of the manufacturer of the pin, and it's only prudent to ground all Merlins until the issue is resolved. It's highly unusual to have all piston engines of a given type grounded.

Maybe it's an issue of all the suspect Merlins being rebuilt at the same facility that resulted in the grounding, in which case it may be the fault of the overhauler. Again, grounding for inspection is only prudent. I don't know how many Merlin engine rebuilders there are in the U.K, but I know there are a handful in the U.S. and I haven't heard of any widespread problems with Merlin-powered aircraft here.
edit on 8 17 2017 by Cohen the Barbarian because: (no reason given)

edit on 8 17 2017 by Cohen the Barbarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

They still have some folks that can certify them, but they need flight time to do it. They have the option of sending them to Canada to get time in their aircraft, with their crews.

<<   2 >>

join