It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC - Using ‘dark-skinned GIFs & emojis’ is cultural appropriation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The BBC has produced a video that claims GIFs featuring black people amount to “digital blackface” while white people using dark-skinned emojis are guilty of cultural appropriation.

This probably would have been a non-story, but it was posted by a major media outlet. The gist of the video is that white people are wrong for using images of black people, such as in gifs, as by doing so they are committing "cultural appropriation". Why even run a video like this on their main page? It only serves to create a racial divide and make black people look ridiculous for complaining about gifs and cultural appropriation. I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of blacks who see this will think it's total nonsense, but unfortunately, some people will take this seriously.

I love this little gem:

“Black people are not here for other people’s entertainment,” she says, showing GIFs of black entertainers Michael Jackson, Oprah Winfrey and Rihanna.

Except for, you know, the ones you just mentioned... Since entertainment is literally what they do for a living.

Source

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
This woman is clearly rich enough to not care about anything else. Like everyone who raises similar issues.

You know I've never heard these degenerates rally in support of black people in Africa, ravaged by war & poverty, plagued with disease and suffering under the likes of Robert Mugabe. Not once have they ever petitioned the state to help those folks.

I didn't even know there were black emojis. All mine are yellow. Like the Simpsons.

To hell with the licence fee if they're spending it on trash like this.
edit on -050006pm8kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

So if you are of another race and use black or brown gifs or emoji you are a cultural appropriator but if you only use gifs or emojis resembling your own race you are a racist. Either way somebody will complain so post whatever gifs or emoji you like and to Hades with the haters!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Some other non thing to get upset over.

Oh well, meanwhile.......

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

So...Im gonna go out on a limb here...straightening her hair appropriating anyones culture as well?

Can I not eat Chinese food either? Soooo how about playing soccer?

Pure maddness...I could go on ...but

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

The BBC has become an embarrassment to the UK.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Pardon me for mentioning, but haven't the blacks in America appropriated their culture?
Seems to me that all this hating on the dominant white folk is really quite ridiculous and bloody pointless if these racists are going to continue using ..hmmm...let's see...white inventions like tv? the motor car? cell phones? Hollywood movies?
As we say over here put yer money where yer mouth is or shut up!
Cultural appropriation my arse

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
My immediate thought in video below. Did I just appropriate someone else's culture?
Warning language:

edit on 16-8-2017 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Hah. I don't use any emojis outside ATS. Dodged a bullet right there. Is this some kind of retaliation because the Emoji movie bombed at the box office?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

The BBC has become an embarrassment to the UK.

allowing ukip on qt every week was the start of their downfall.
now the bbc is made entirely of old dave cameron's staff, while they old boys now work for theresa.
awaits to lol when someone says labour bias.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Some other non thing to get upset over.

Oh well, meanwhile.......

Meanwhile there are roughly 7 billion humans with over a trillion real problems.

We have people living in abject poverty, with little to no education, we have government and corporate corruption, rampant pollution, our laws are all messed up, nations are buying weapons and gearing up for more wars, most young people don't understand how to have healthy relationships, there are children without proper parenting and guidance, our medical system has become a monster, the tap water quality is dismal in many locations, etc etc etc etc

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Look at all those yellow ones......this site may have a problem.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
This woman is clearly rich enough to not care about anything else. Like everyone who raises similar issues.

You know I've never heard these degenerates rally in support of black people in Africa, ravaged by war & poverty, plagued with disease and suffering under the likes of Robert Mugabe. Not once have they ever petitioned the state to help those folks.

I didn't even know there were black emojis. All mine are yellow. Like the Simpsons.

To hell with the licence fee if they're spending it on trash like this.
I hope you're Chinese,if not those emojis are racist.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Well white people are not here for other people’s entertainment either!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's interesting that most of the examples of exaggerated blackness gifs are of entertainers entertaining, yet the gifs are not appropriate for other people's entertainment.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
So if a white cartoonist draws a black character for The Cleveland Show this is now wrong?
If a white advertising exec casts a black actor as a company mascot to advertise a product this is now racist?
I thought people were pushing for more representations of minorities in the Media landscape because it's 'too white".

Damn, if this really is the case we should just cast white people in everything so that we don't offend anyone through cultural appropriation. There goes diversity.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Pardon me for mentioning, but haven't the blacks in America appropriated their culture?
Seems to me that all this hating on the dominant white folk is really quite ridiculous and bloody pointless if these racists are going to continue using ..hmmm...let's see...white inventions like tv? the motor car? cell phones? Hollywood movies?
As we say over here put yer money where yer mouth is or shut up!
Cultural appropriation my arse

With all due respect to AMs, African American culture is (very) different from African culture yet there are many AMs who will wear African clothes, hang African art in their houses and identify with that culture (such as Kanye West) etc ..... if you're the 3rd generation born here in America....isn't this cultural appropriation?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm sure there would be the person who would get upset and call it a microaggression if you used emojis of your own ethnicity and sent it to them when they were a different ethnicity too. It would make your texts an act of aggression toward them.

How dare you send me texts with white emojis when you know I am black?! That creates a hostile texting environment for me by making your texts feel less welcoming ... sort of like when you refuse to use the proper pronoun for a transgender.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: growler

They've always been establishment but they used to have a reputation for quality. I admit that could be more nostalgia on my behalf, though.
I only vaguely remember the third channel arriving but commercial TV was once almost frowned upon.
When we got channel 4 we thought it was so decadent it was like the fall of Rome all over again!

With free view etc and the proliferation of channels available, I resent that they still enforce a license fee on us while showing second rate copies of programmes, crappy quiz shows, bland PC comedies and propaganda news.

I think they need to ditch the license fee (tax) and fight it out in the market with all the rest. If they die it'll be no great loss. If they return to a quality channel they might actually profit.

Having said all that, I confess that I do enjoy a bit of radio 4 when I'm in the mood.

new topics

top topics

join