It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Racism be the Worst Social Sin????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
First off this is not some deep seeded ideolgy of mine...

I'm just throwing something out there...

Should racism be the worst social sin???

I'm defining a social sin as something that is legal, but considered abhorrent socially..

Is inherently racism worse than being a pathological liar??

What about being a serial adulterer??

Deadbeat dad??

Crap starting drama queen???

And I'm really not sure what the answer to that would be.....

Racism ABSOLUTELY has a slippery slope that historically leads straight to genocide...

But I really HATE slippery slope arguments..

Probably every one, BUT ABSOLUTELY everyone in the south has a few racist family members who wouldn't hurt a fly or take any action against anyone...So if we remove the violence and only count the base racism, where does it land in the social sin top 10???

Does it get the top spot???

Is it in the middle somewhere???

Part of me thinks we care too much if people are racist.. focusing on that rather than actual actions...

But then again being a pathological liar has never caught on and led to a holocaust..

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Focusing on peoples skin color is just anther way to divide us. Meanwhile, they are erasing the past.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
its 2017, it shouldn't be an issue.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Truth is most people have in-group preferences which extend to race.
It's normal, we self-segregate by choice.
Thinking other races are somehow lesser than your own is stupidity and unless one acts on it I don't suppose it's anyone's business but theirs what they think/feel.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Focusing on peoples skin color is just anther way to divide us. Meanwhile, they are erasing the past.

They're erasing the past by taking down statues less than a hundred years old and moving them to different locations?
edit on 16-8-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I think lying is worse. I'd rather have a racist, homophobic, gamergating, woman hating, nazi spew his hate to my face, than sneak around behind my back. I think everyone would. With an open racist you know where you stand.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I think being a race bating agitator is probably worse. Those that seek to stir up divisiveness, instigate and cheer on violence where there otherwise wouldn't be.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I'm not sure I get your point. Racism is being a pathological liar. You are claiming that the colour of your skin makes you better than someone else's brain.

No.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I think being a race bating agitator is probably worse. Those that seek to stir up divisiveness, instigate and cheer on violence where there otherwise wouldn't be.

But with an agitator there is generally something about them....something beneath the surface. Why are they agitating? It's almost like being in a gang, I guess. The need to belong and do something "dangerous" to get street cred with your friends. The only problem is that someone generally working towards something ...let's use Charlottesville. A minority who IS going to college there should protest a Nazi, but the Antifa guys that show up to agitate, and the media lumps both of them together.

Hmmm. NOw I'm thinking that we need to profile Antifa to see who they really are.
edit on 16-8-2017 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

One thing that should be an ATS Sin is all the wide gaps in your damn sentences.
What gives?

As far as your question....Nope...But it should be right up there.
The bullying/shaming of kids/teenagers by their peers should be right up there too.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

They're erasing the past but taking down statues less than a hundred years old and moving them to different locations?

Listen lib t tour wrong.

Funny UT did it about 5 years ago. Nobody made a riot.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

They're erasing the past but taking down statues less than a hundred years old and moving them to different locations?

The statues are just another reminder. A sign post along the road of life. In fact it was road signs last month, wasn't it?

"Daddy who was General Lee?"

"He rebelled against the United States Gubment, sweety. Because the men in our nations capital wanted to take away our rights."
edit on 16-8-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

The statues are just another reminder. A sign post along the road of life. In fact it was road signs last month, wasn't it?

"Daddy who was General Lee?"

"He rebelled against the United States Gubment, sweety. Because the men in our nations capital wanted to take away our rights."

And we were afraid of the economy tanking when we lost all that free labor, so the aristocrats eating bon bons in their plantations fooled us into thinking we should fight for them.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Being wrong and a liar are not the same things..

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

If by rights you mean slaves that's fairly accurate...

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Given today's access to information and a wealth of history available, not to mention differing perspectives, it's quite clear what could be considered a major social sin.
Ignorance.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

OK, I can live with that point. So what difference is there if it's in a museum or on a public park.

What if a community votes to have it moved? Using democracy to decide its not fitting for outside a school or park? What say you then?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

It is my own opinion that neglecting or abusing our children and elderly is much, much worse than being racist.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Because a museum is America officially saying the confederacy doesn't deserve to be remembered well...

And a certain group has been raised to believe the south was in the right..

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Ignorant prejudice is the "social sin". Not racism.

Racism is overused and often coverall expression to tar people you don't like. Potential career-ending accusations of racism is why gangs of (mainly) Pakistani men got away with the grooming and abusing white English girls and women in many places across the UK.

Most people equate racism to be white versus black, but I have seen it reversed. I have seen racism between shades of colours, and racism between white folk; Scottish racism against the English, for example. In the later example I have been a victim of racism. The Rwanda genocide was blacks on blacks. The ongoing turmoil in the Middle East is one denomination of Islam against the other.

While racism can be damaging, I would say sexism can be worse, especially the overt discrimination of women and girls in some cultures and societies. Forced and child marriage, rape and abuse, FGM, deprivation of education, and so on, are all examples of men imposing their control over women and girls.

What about bigotry and intolerance directed at the disabled, the gays, or the just plain different. Blah, blah, blah. You get the drift. It's all ignorance.

I rest my case. Racism is bad, but there are worse kinds of prejudice and discrimination.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join