It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slavery was not the cause of the Civil War - as written by an American in 1863.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

It all ties back to money primarily not slavery, slavery was just the easy way to convince people of the cause (north or south), yet my beef is people like MOMof3 calling everybody who fought for the south racist, raping, murderer.

Its just not true, yet that is an angle pushed heavily especially in this day and age.

Also you are forgetting that back in that time frame, many people regarded their states as their home before the nation especially down south.

So once the north started to attack, propaganda was effectively used to keep people signing up.

Its to bad that Sherman and his march to the sea, proved a lot of the propaganda early in the war was just a prophecy.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Mostly, southerners didn't like shoes except for church.

wow
that has to be one of the most craziest things i have read here
well done!

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Why do you think it's crazy? Until tennis shoes , footwear in sub tropical climates were hot and sweaty.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

books.google.com... d8j4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUjo_Dw97VAhVG0YMKHSDvCi0Q6AEISjAH#v=onepage&q=southerners%20did%20not%20like%20shoes&f=false

typical yankee ignorance

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

You have heard that it was a war between brothers? Literally, brothers left their birth state to fight for the Yanks, against slavery.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Pretty much the mantra of every class that ever taught Civil war... and??

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I don't need Google to know I was always barefoot in 1950's Mississippi except for school and church. Until tennis shoes became available.

link   

I don't need Google to know I was always barefoot in 1950's Mississippi except for school and church. Until tennis shoes became available.

link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Historian Shelby Foote told the story of a captured Confederate soldier in Tennessee who, when asked by a Union officer why he was fighting them replied "because y'all are down here". Having your state invaded by Federal armies was a guarantee of stolen livestock, forage and valuables at a minimum. At it's worst your home or town was burned to the ground as part of the Northern strategy of "total war" where even food is a weapon. If you can't beat 'em, starve 'em.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Irishhaf

You have heard that it was a war between brothers? Literally, brothers left their birth state to fight for the Yanks, against slavery.

The whole United States was predicated on White superiority, North and South. When brother fought against brother it wasn't over the moral issue of slavery but of Union and Constitution versus secession.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
I think I am beginning to see. Some of you want a clean and sterile version of the Confederate south. Or you don't want others to know the truth. Ok, believe what you want.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Oh believe me I do understand that

I don't need Google

Of course that does not change the fact that the author I linked pointed out the "shoeless" southerner was a stereotype used to push the new deal.

“Some years ago Secretary of Labor Francis Perkins raised the temperature of many Southerners to fever height by suggesting that if the people of that section could be persuaded to wear shoes a veritable “social revolution” would result.

So you did actually have shoes,unlike the stereotype I linked?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

It all ties back to money primarily not slavery, slavery was just the easy way to convince people of the cause (north or south), yet my beef is people like MOMof3 calling everybody who fought for the south racist, raping, murderer.

Nailed it. This was 100% about money. Slaves were simply a means to be more profitable but it wasn't directly about slaves. Most of the people in the South would be happy with free slaves and equal money. Think about why they had slaves to begin with. Profit $$$$

Are we splitting hairs? Possibly but I can see both sides when you say it wasn't about slavery or it was. When in doubt follow the money.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dbates

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Nailed it. This was 100% about money. Slaves were simply a means to be more profitable but it wasn't directly about slaves. Most of the people in the South would be happy with free slaves and equal money. Think about why they had slaves to begin with. Profit $$$$

Are we splitting hairs? Possibly but I can see both sides when you say it wasn't about slavery or it was. When in doubt follow the money.

I Agree, ALL wars throughout history have been fought for the acquisition of enrichment and power. Nothing more, nothing less.

Attaching moral or social issues to it is to provide motivation to the fighters. Gives them a reason to die fighting for the aristocrats. Who would be willing to fight & die just to make their leaders more wealthy or powerful?

The same is true today. Unless you believe that we attacked Iraq or Vietnam or any of the others because of human rights violations.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
Slavery was not the cause of the Civil War!!!

How can you say this? - How can you oppose the 'Liberal Mindset"?

I was taught the same thing in high school - Yes, in a North Eastern Liberal state - But that was a long time ago.

Have you ever wondered why there are so few Liberal talk show hosts on talk radio?

They have nothing to say - You can easily program a computer program to give you all the scripted answers that a Liberal will give you to political questions - Liberal talk show hosts become boring quickly.

Trump is a thinker - a clear and present danger to the Liberal ideology [or the lack thereof]

That said - these neo-nazis and racists are not doing any good for any of us - Just playing into the liberal agenda
- that says everyone is equal - so equal so as to create the homogenized nobody - Sound like North Korea?

What if there was a Conservative Agenda championed by hatemongers like Rush limbaugh? Oh wait that is actually happening. LOL

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32 Do you really think this country engaged in the Civil War because southerners were told they could not bring their cooks with them to The Hamptons on vacation?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I don't want a sterilized view of the South, slavery was evil and sometimes brutal but other times they were treated as loved and trusted members of the household.
It was not however what you see in movies by Quentin Tarantino.
Pointing out that most Americans were white supremacists at the time is just historical fact.
I don't need to repeat what the other side is saying but they do seem to be lacking any kind of balanced view of history, especially as it concerns the Civil War.
A small percentage of White Southerners owned slaves.
I keep hearing you can't judge the whole by the actions of the few yet that's what is happening.
All this stuff over Confederate statues is just a ploy to further divide the people while the globalist march along free to work their agendas.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yep, so many of you know so much more about this than Confederacy Vice President Stephens:

The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.

Not to mention:

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day.

"Cornerstone Speech" 1861
edit on 17-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Bolded text

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Oh, but that's only the VICE President, right?

What did President Jefferson Davis have to say on the issue of slavery and White Supremacy?

We recognize the fact of the inferiority stamped upon that race of men by the Creator, and from the cradle to the grave, our Government, as a civil institution, marks that inferiority.

"That race of men" is of course "the African Negro" as Davis so often worded it.

It would grant me much relief to learn your sons were engaged matrimonially to other white men if I was previously faced with the spectre of those same sons wedding negro women, slave or free, and siring negro sons that could presume to claim inheritance of your namesakes and property, or worse, equality with your purer grandchildren.

Ah, a supporter of same sex marriage! Not to mention eugenics ... he was a man ahead of his time. #retch

[P]roperty in slaves, recognized as such by the local law of any of the States of the Union, shall stand on the same footing in all constitutional and federal relations as any other species of property so recognized; and, like other property, shall not be subject to be divested or impaired by the local law of any other State, either in escape thereto or of transit or sojourn of the owner therein; and in no case whatever shall such property be subject to be divested or impaired by any legislative act of the United States, or of any of the Territories thereof.

Made while he was still a US Senator, of course, but establishes Davis' beliefs about the primacy of slavery.

We recognize the negro as God and God's Book and God's Laws, in nature, tell us to recognize him. Our inferior, fitted expressly for servitude.

Starts out good, ends up horrific.

Jefferson Davis - Wikiquote
edit on 17-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Slavery WAS the cause of the Civil War, as announced by the Confederacy's Vice-President at the time, as well as many other contemporary sources. Only modern-day Confederate apologist and history revisionists think otherwise, (Oh, and 'poorly educated' excuses for human beings, too - in other words, Trump supporters). The same type of person also denies the Holocaust. Simple minded racists who spend all their time trying to logically justify their insane hatred. So the OP and his like-minded very small circle of friends are certainly free to spread their ignorance amongst themselves. People who can read know the truth.

Trump, his kids, his racist views, are Trash!
Worst. 'presidential' POS. EVER !!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join