It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slavery was not the cause of the Civil War - as written by an American in 1863.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

www.washingtonpost.com... rofanities-chicago-police-say/?utm_term=.40edf2a4700b
Yeah you are right "they have to know it is no longer acceptable".
This kind of hatred of another human being is not acceptable.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

You've made your choice, you and I have nothing more to say to each other.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

You find this violence to be acceptable?
It is not 1949 mind you, but it fits the description of the hatred you are railing against does it not?
Or are you just another hypocrite?

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yes...Slavery WAS the cause of the Civil War...according to a massive, overwhelming collection of actual documents, letters etc.

Not least of which were the actual Declarations of Secession by the Southern States.

Revisionist history is what you are intentionally or unintentionally peddling.

BTW: To be specific..The Federal Government Banning the expansion of slavery into the new territories (Northwest Territory etc.) is what finally triggered the rebellion.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Scifi2424

Forget what? The haters of humanity are still here. Always will be.
Resist and protest.
Worst.President.Ever.

Who is the worst President Ever? Can't be Trump, he has changed nothing. Policies of Obama are still there for the most part..

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

And also...reading comprehension seems in play here?

You big, bolded, underlined phrase...

Those make a great mistake who suppose it grew out of a desire merely to perpetuate slavery.

Please define the word "merely"..??

The entire passage that you quoted explains that Slavery was means to economic and political power for the Southern States and it's leaders.

Yes...The rebellion was about economics...cuz SLAVERY made the south rich..on the backs of slaves.

Yes...The rebellion was about losing power...cuz absent SLAVERY the South would not be an economic force.

Yes...The rebellion was not about "MERELY" preserving slavery...It was about the Wealth and Power that accompanied those who used slaves and their blood and labor to falsely inflate their own wealth and power.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scifi2424

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Scifi2424

Forget what? The haters of humanity are still here. Always will be.
Resist and protest.
Worst.President.Ever.

Who is the worst President Ever? Can't be Trump, he has changed nothing. Policies of Obama are still there for the most part..

It is Trump...for the unprecedented damage to the integrity and credibility of the United States of America.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

The accursed lust for power lay at the bottom of it.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens disagrees:

The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us; the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.

Wikiquote

and if he left any doubt ... he went on to say that ...

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day.

EDIT: I have always maintained the same argument ... that there was a constellation of political and economic concerns for the Civil War.

I was mistaken. It was about slavery and White Supremacy.

Exactly

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Its a Two Edge Sword as I see it ,

Political Power you say ?

Well..

Right ,

From What N How , Political power Came too Be ?

Plantation Economy . is What
en.wikipedia.org...

Wealth Money Corporations that Sold cotton ,rubber, Sugar and staple foods/grains to The manufactures Around the World ( Europe )
that was produced on those Plantations ..from Slavery & indentured Servants,
those Raw Materials was then Sold too Countries in Europe and South Africa

and what was the Backbone ?
Labor force ?
Slaves .

The Union put a end too the Main Source of Wealth

It was the beginning of the Industrial Revolution,

Now we Have Corporation Slavery
a different kind of Slavery
and more so in China getting paid $10 a Day
instead of 10 an Hour .

Ironically Some of China's Factories have Living Quarters
within the building much like living Quarters on the Ol Plantations

Slavery Exist ! just a different Form .

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

I can match the words of one man too.

The King of England wanted to keep the colonies 'colonial', read that enslaved to the crown too. He didn't call it slavery though either. It was called Loyalty to the Crown.

The written record of the rebellion in the south was also altered to blame slavery instead of meddling in states autonomy by the Federal Gubment.

The feds won, the record is charged, the states lost to the fed, all the states. But the victors write the historical record and still persist even today in this fantasy that slavery was the primary cause.

Edit: the real reason., was exploitation of the South by the North thru protective tariffs...

Much of the tariff revenue collected from Southern consumers was used to build railroads and canals in the North. Between 1830 and 1850, 30,000 miles of track was laid. At its best, these tracks benefited the North. Much of it had no economic effect at all. Many of the schemes to lay track were simply a way to get government subsidies. Fraud and corruption were rampant.

With most of the tariff revenue collected in the South and then spent in the North, the South rightly felt exploited. At the time, 90% of the federal government's annual revenue came from these taxes on imports.

source

edit on 18-8-2017 by intrptr because: added link

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I promis there are letters from soldiers saying it was about slavery...

Well I guess that's about as good of a source as any.

But we don't even need those because EVERY SINGLE STATE specifically said they were doing it to protect slavery in their articles of succession...

Once again, the language of the day was different. Saying slave state and non slave state was the same as saying "Republican" or "Democrat" state today.

When Lincoln was elected, and he straight out said that he would not allow any more "slave state" expansion. That's the same as him saying "nothing but Republican states from now on". That's not how you or I would read it with our modern mindset, but once again, people worded things differently and did not care about any kind of "PC" so much then.

So what would that then do to the Senate, the House? During elections, Republicans would have the vast majority of states and therefore political power. The entire nation might as well be Republican then.

It was not so much slavery, as the politics of slavery, left and right, and westward expansion that were the real catalyst. Among many other factors.
edit on 18-8-2017 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: strongfp

There is a difference between the reason for the war from the stand point of those who orcastated the rebellion and the soldiers on the ground..

You get a star just for inventing a funny new word: "Orcastrated"! Thanks.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Does anyone remember the days of old on ATS?
Way, way back, like over 2 years ago.
Back before ATS became a dualistic, pointy-fingered, American divisive, political website.

In those days: C-Theorists pretty much agreed on the true cause of the American Civil War, which was all about installing privately-controlled central banking, like the system that still holds you/us all down today.

So here we are on page 11, and not one single mention of this concept.

Would post a link to an older thread on this subject, but the ATS search function does not work for me.

Does anyone else find this really strange?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
What led to the war was high taxation. This began in 1828 and is known as the tariff of abominations. Southern economy was hurt, while the Northern economy flourished. Read & learn. www.emarotta.com/protective-tariffs-the-primary-cause-of-the-civil-war/

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SoaringHawk83

Except taxes weren't high..

In fact slaves were only taxed at like 1/5 their value, who INCREDIBLY benefited the south..

That tax was for every one not just the south? it would have just hypothetically hurt the south worst.. and would never have hurt them as much as the tax exemption for slaves helped..

FYI the founding fathers weren't over taxed either look it up..

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Trumps not the worst yet..

Just the least worthy maybe..

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
A loooong time ago as a junior high history teacher on the south side of Chicago I taught the youngins economics and political views were the cause of war. In the south you had farming communities and in the north you had factories/manufacturing communities as long as everything that went with it like railroads. Most kids are taught this in school.

It's like as adults, we all regress and forget what we learned as children. For example, most 3-5 year olds know the Golden rule. Treat others as u wish to be treated, yet most adults have forgotten this one simple rule.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Everybody replying is only showing more examples of what the OP claims. The issue of slavery was used by southern leaders as a rallying cry for the poor and ignorant who would not understand the finer points of the politics involved or why they should care.

I'm not an expert on the topic. I'm just saying that is what I saw here. A speech by the confederate vp that was designed to be read and reread to the masses, the common people... Well, a speech by POTUS today on foreign policy would give you the info they want the world to know. White House and Pentagon meetings may reveal very different reasons for doing certain things. Psyop, deception, propaganda, has been used forever in warfare.

Maybe the idea presented here is psyop/propaganda. Or, maybe what we've been taught in schools is pyop/propaganda. I'm not an expert on this topic.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: SoaringHawk83

Except taxes weren't high..

In fact slaves were only taxed at like 1/5 their value, who INCREDIBLY benefited the south..

That tax was for every one not just the south? it would have just hypothetically hurt the south worst.. and would never have hurt them as much as the tax exemption for slaves helped..

FYI the founding fathers weren't over taxed either look it up..

If not taxes, I wonder why the north flourished, while the south did not? Even with all the extra benefits of slavery, the 1/5 tax... Im honestly curious. Just in case i sounded sarcastic. Usually I am, just not this time.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join