It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lenin Statue Still Stands in Seattle

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4003fireglo

originally posted by: DrunkenMimeMaster
a reply to: bananashooter

Informed, progressive uber liberal here...I wouldn't mind seeing this statue removed, but replace it with Socrates, Bruno or Dawkins

Dawkins?! Ok, so he was good in Hogan's Heroes, but that game show wasn't so good until he showed up in The Running Man.

Seattle. They're pretty creative there. Keep the statue. Its purpose there is justified because art.

Ouch. Someone better at obscure jokes than I. I yield in your honour, good sir.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

have you done it yet or are still behind your keyboard? warrior.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: growler

have you done it yet or are still behind your keyboard? warrior.

I first need to rustle up a band of communist misfits who will do my bidding so long as I pay them in virtue and moral superiority.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Let's bring down the statue of Vladimir Lenin in Seattle.

Lenin committed treason against America?

The communists have set enough of a precedent tearing down Confederate statues that we should go all out and remove other offensive statues such as these.

This is a privately owned statue on private property. So you would support going on private property and stealing their property? The Confederate statues were on government property so all people have a say on whether it stays or not.

The people of the Velvet Revolution, though they've lived through the worst conditions, cannot live through the pain of a standing statue of Vladimir Lenin.

The Velvet Revolution was a nonviolent takeover. What pain?
edit on 8030000005131America/ChicagoWed, 16 Aug 2017 13:16:51 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: kruphix

Pretty sure they raised the price. Maybe Donald Trump can buy it and have the head replaced with his own?

Trump only wants to replace Obama.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Two wrongs make a right ... or eye for an eye ...

Which is the underlying logic here?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
You know what's ironic in all this - I'm fairly convinced none of this would be happening if Trump wasn't president. There wouldn't have been a rise in hate groups, there wouldn't have been an alt-right march in Charlottesville, and there wouldn't be this irrational call for tearing down statues as a result. Yes, if liberals had control, ironically, the crazy liberals wouldn't be trying to "tear down America". I'm not necessarily saying there's causation with Trump, only that there's at least a correlation. IMHO.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

First off, as I noted — the OP foisted some BS on us and this is actually a privately owned statue on private property and it's not there to venerate Lenin AFAIK.

But let's forget about this fake news brought to us by a concerned Brit and obvious statue enthusiast. Why do you see removing statues from public property as a form of pseudo censorship (and apparently this is across the board?). I can imagine countless inappropriate statues for display on public property.

I'm sure you could too. So we have to at least concede that there's some sort of standards even if they are subjective and sometimes difficult to reconcile.

And who exactly is being censored here? The artist? What role do the wishes of the public play and should it be a simple majority rule?

As I mull this over, my thinking on this is that Confederate monuments are in many cases, a big F-U. When you look at when the bulk of them were constructed, there's an undeniable correlation with pivotal times in the history of Civil Rights and I think, that taken with what I know of the periods and the locales (and some specific knowledge of the origins of certain of them), that it's a reasonable assertion.

Whatever the case may be, it seems more than safe to say that at the time they were being constructed, the non-white members of the community were effectively disenfranchised second class citizens with real no ability to contest their construction/placement.

White mayors and white city councils in states with white governors and white state legislators in states with laws designed to disenfranchise and otherwise oppress minorities, enforced by the likes of Bull Connor and George Wallace.

There's a lot of focus on the subject matter of the statues, etc but for me it's as much or more about the circumstance of their mostly early-mid 19th century construction.
edit on 2017-8-16 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
I can't even believe that pig has a statue inthe USA

What so hard to believe about it.

The last president was putting Mao christmas tree ornaments on the White House Christmas tree.

That's why the Lenin statue still stands today.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

This is a privately owned statue on private property. So you would support going on private property and stealing their property? The Confederate statues were on government property so all people have a say on whether it stays or not.

I'm not sure it is on private property. It is public art.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Unlike you I do not stare through the eyes of social media. I do not gauge life or author my threads through the stimulating life of my twitter feed.

Blah blah blah. Yawn. If not social media, some fake news blog? Or wait, you're just a super statue aficionado from the UK who happened to be aware of the statue of Lenin in Seattle? Lmao. You found it paging through books of US statuary at the local library?

I would suggest that given the product of your preferred methods, you couldn't do much worse with mine.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'm Canadian, Mr. Fake News.

Right the lenin statue is on private property, something you have never proved, only asserted.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Unlike you I do not stare through the eyes of social media. I do not gauge life or author my threads through the stimulating life of my twitter feed.

Blah blah blah. Yawn. If not social media, some fake news blog? Or wait, you're just a super statue aficionado from the UK who happened to be aware of the statue of Lenin in California? Lmao. You found it paging through books of US statuary at the local library?

I would suggest that given the product of your preferred methods, you couldn't do much worse with mine.

Kind of like your Russian and White supremacist conspiracy theories. I imagine you thought all those up yourselves. Useful idiot. How many of these conspiracies, hot from the presses of mediamatters and reeks like the fake blogs at DailyKOS, have you gotten right? It rhymes with hero.
edit on 16-8-2017 by TheTory because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
To be honest, as an anarchist, i want it to be destroyed as well

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
To be honest, as an anarchist, i want it to be destroyed as well

LOL. I used to try to explain what the actual "left wing" is to some folks.

I gave up. Bloody forehead.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

If people vote to remove them thats fine.

I am discussing efforts to have a mob tear them down. That is a form of censorship, the voices of the people did not decide to remove that work of art and are being overruled.

And regardless, removing these even for a just reason is a form of silencing, even if it is justified.

And its not so cut and dry with non-white members.

Here is a black group fighting to protect statues as part of Buffalo soldier heritage.

dfw.cbslocal.com...

Its a very complicated issue.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Just stop.

The statue is at: 3526 Fremont Pl N, Seattle, WA 98103. It's on the property of Taco del Mar, who it appears:

made a giant (tinfoil wrapped) burrito for him to hold, but it looked like a doobie.

He's also regularly dressed up in a tutu for the gay pride parade and as Geekwire notes:

Activists regularly apply red paint to depict blood on the hands of a statue of Vladimir Lenin in Seattle’s Fremont neighborhood.

They also provide a clue to your possible source:

The statue and what it means standing in Seattle has also attracted attention on Reddit, where the subreddit the_donald has hundreds of comments on the subject including a top one that says liberals are hypocrites.

Maybe we should leave all those Confederate statues up and just put tutus on them and paint their hands red with blood of the hundreds of thousands of my countrymen who died over a failed attempt to preserve the ghastly institution of slavery which enslaved millions more? Since we're all so concerned with preserving history.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I'd offer cans of paint and have people freely express themselves upon his visage.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Scratch that.

I'd turn it into a public urinal.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I question the reason why we have a lot of statues. Many of them glorify battles, wars, the corporate elite, presidents & politicians
. Many public buildings and streets are named after lying-self serving politicians & presidents who really don't deserve a statue or a building that stands long after they're gone. What kind of message does that send? If you're rich, a politician, a celebrity, you're more likely to have a statue erected of yourself than "some nobody" who gave their entire life to help humanity.

I feel statues should be made for people who demonstrated throughout their life strong moral values, gave their entire life helping the less fortunate, sick, and lead a life of peace and kindness. Something all of humanity should strive for. These are the values that statues should remind us about throughout the end of time. Statues that remind us of wars, power, influence, politics, and conflicts are not values a civilized society should want to emulate.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join