It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When exactly were all these Confederate monuments put up???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If you listen to a lot of the members on here, Confederate statues and monuments are nothing more than "historical" pieces of art. They deny that these statues have any racial connotations and it is just the South remembering their history.

However, let's look at a timeline of when these were put into place:
Source
Larger Picture

Interesting...seems like the majority of these statues and monuments were erected long after the Civil War was over. Also interesting, it seems like there are two distinctive spikes in the graph...I wonder what those two spikes coincide with???

1st Spike (early 1900's): This occurred in the early 1900's...right after Blacks were given the right to vote by the 15th amendment. Also during this time was the era of Jim Crow laws and legalized segregation thanks to "separate but equal" from the Plessy v. Ferguson Supreme Court decision.

2nd Spike (1954 - 1968): Hmmm...what was happening during this time? Oh right...the Civil Rights movement. No why would Southerns all of a sudden become interested in the Confederacy at this time???

Funny how the two major times in history that the South wanted to remember their "heritage" were in times of major racial events in our history. Blacks are given the right to vote...time to remember the Confederacy. Blacks want Civil Rights...time to remember the Confederacy.

For anyone to sit there and claim these statues and monuments are only there as innocent historical markers...you are flat out lying to yourselves.

To "remember the south" or "honor the confederacy" is to honor racism. When Southerners talk about their "heritage" when honoring the Confederacy...it is simply a round about way of them honoring racism and wanting to return to a time when it was legal and common.

After all, in the Confederacy's Cornerstone Speech given by the Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens:

Our new government is founded upon exactly this idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

So if you want to run around here claiming you just want to preserve "history"...just remember you are wanting to preserve racism.
edit on 16-8-2017 by kruphix because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
But muh stachooos...

Muh freeze peach...

Anything but an honest "yeah I support white supremacy"...

You ever notice it's the ones who never shut up about free speech on here that keep banging on about it...
Like we forgot they said it 10 minutes ago in another thread...

Covert. That's how the KKK like it...

They laugh at the statistics of "only a few thousand members"...
That's exactly what they want people to believe.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Great post and history lesson!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
You do understand that the civil war was based on money and states rights right? And if the confederate monuments are "racist" then what are your thoughts on every president before Lincoln? Should we go burn their campuses down and libraries that are named after them? That will solve all the racism in our country, let's hide the facts so that no one gets offended.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
im pretty sure Lincoln seen this as a future problem when he singed the Emancipation Proclamation. he tried to send them to panama, guyana, belieze and a few other british colonies. no one wants a race war other than those in government. at least no one i know wants anything to do with a race war. but it seems to me thats where we are headed. we have a lot of politicians we need to replace, and something needs to be done about all these dang fake news agencies. i see it getting worse and worse every day.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
You do understand that the civil war was based on money and states rights right?

You seemed to have missed the quote by the Confederate Vice President:

Our new government is founded upon exactly this idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
How bout coming up with a better source than the SPLC ?

I know it's too much to be asking.

Considering they were founded in the 70s rather odd they just got around to whining about statues.

Even they are protected under the first amendment.

No one said anyone has to like them.

But they have no RIGHT to get rid of them.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I don't mind slavery and its evils being shunned but I WILL NOT see AMERICANS who died for part of THIS COUNTY'S heratige be forgotten any more that I want the WEHRMACHT soldiers of WWII WHO were not behind the Nazi ideal, but were fighting FOR THEIR country.it's called HONOR and apparently most civilians HAVE none.
THAT is why I want to remember them.
I am FAR too misanthropic to care about SKIN in this day and age.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
For the record, I would be just as upset and sickened of tearing down a monument depicting a prominent Black man/woman, Native American, Irish immigrant, Chinese railroad worker, etc... Destruction of history, good or bad, is always bad. It seems people are too unwilling to use them as a teaching tool of the past horrors or great things today (as they were in the past). It is much easier to adopt the "kill it", "destroy it" approach than the more difficult teaching approach.

All I see are the mobs with pitchforks and torches on both sides screaming about and advocating some form of violence to get their way. For me, it is horrific in itself and makes me ashamed.

I weep for our future if we start acting like that which we supposed to decry.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

But not the reason for the War of Succession
Learn history.
Neither side considered it UN-Constitutional until 1863 . 2 years after the War started.
The original reason ? Well , you have already read that....

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
I don't mind slavery and its evils being shunned but I WILL NOT see AMERICANS who died for part of THIS COUNTY'S heratige be forgotten any more that I want the WEHRMACHT soldiers of WWII WHO were not behind the Nazi ideal, but were fighting FOR THEIR country.it's called HONOR and apparently most civilians HAVE none.

How are the soldiers forgotten? Many of these statues are going to or have been requested to be donated to Confederate cemeteries.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So...you think all the data they compiled is false??? Fake News, right???

They did this study in response to Dylan Roof wanting to start a race war and using the Confederate Flag in a picture...this was in 2015.

I know you don't like the source, even though it is reputable, but what do you think about the historically accurate data they collected about when Confederate symbols were put in place on public/government property???

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
You do understand that the civil war was based on money and states rights right?

One of those states rights was to keep and own people as a commodity.

People complain about the whitewashing of history and yet, trot out this little line.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
THAT is why I want to remember them.
I am FAR too misanthropic to care about SKIN in this day and age.

Confederate soldiers weren't fighting for THIS COUNTRY...they were fighting for the Confederate States of America...Not the United States of America.

They were traitors who lost...the only part of our history they should be mentioned in is in a list of defeated enemies.

link   
a reply to: Gothmog

But not the reason for the War of Succession Learn history

They should.

Blast from the past.

Was the Civil war Americas first false flag

link   
Get rid of them all that way I can stop hearing about this retardation.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Lincoln never addressed the union to go to war about slavery.

avalon.law.yale.edu...

He wanted a 40% tax on the south

www.al.com...

edit on 16-8-2017 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

link   

So...you think all the data they compiled is false??? Fake News, right???

Yep the so called reason for the war was fake.

link   

edit on 16-8-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

The efforts that have been made over the past two decades to REMOVE (not destroy) these monuments from being displayed prominently outside and inside government buildings, schools, and public parks have been met with resistance.

These efforts have not been for these monuments to be destroyed, but moved to their proper place in a museum or confederate cemetaries. But still, that is met with resistance and rallies by White Supremacist...which it seems like you and others on here defend.
edit on 16-8-2017 by kruphix because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join