It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltimore Removes Confederate Statues One Day After Voting On Issue

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

In an overnight operation, workers removed Baltimore's high-profile statues linked to the Confederacy, using cranes and trucks to haul away monuments that honored Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Roger B. Taney, author of the Supreme Court's Dred Scott opinion.

"It's done," Mayor Catherine Pugh said Wednesday, according to The Baltimore Sun. "They needed to come down. My concern is for the safety and security of our people. We moved as quickly as we could."

Baltimore Removes Confederate Statues One Day After Voting On Issue

Well this is how you get rid of losers who support slavery. Overnight and quickly.

Bravo to the mayor of Baltimore for looking out for the safety of her city.

Losers don't deserve participation trophies.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Another for the scrap heap!!!

I'll drink to that.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well I guess it's official. There is no more racism in Baltimore now that they removed the statues. LOL

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Well I guess it's official. There is no more racism in Baltimore now that they removed the statues. LOL

Nope. And I doubt anybody claimed such a thing.

Does mean one less shrine for the nastiest type of human to idolise.
And also one more thing to trigger said people.

2 birds, with one Stonewall Jackson.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Well good for the government of Baltimore !!

At least they did this "legally".

Now they need to go after the statues and monuments of slave owners !!

Go 14th Amendment !!

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ones less reason to trigger white spoiled brats with nothing better to do with their lives.

Sad that there's a trend of doing what stupid people want.

Robert E. Lee triggers people? Sad

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is what is interesting:

The city took action as several local groups were preparing their own plans to yank down the statues, in much the same way a Confederate statue was taken down in Durham, N.C., this week.

This was, apparently, a reaction to groups planning to illegally destroy/remove the statues. So, I guess they got their wishes one way or the other, using a real threat of property destruction to coerce the City Council to vote on removal to prevent the destruction.

That's actually funny, and a bit ironic.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Well good for the government of Baltimore !!

At least they did this "legally".

Now they need to go after the statues and monuments of slave owners !!

Go 14th Amendment !!

Mount Rushmore is next I'd assume. Screw history, lets worry about feelings since thats the biggest issue we have going on in this country right now.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

This was, apparently, a reaction to groups planning to illegally destroy/remove the statues. So, I guess they got their wishes one way or the other, using a real threat of property destruction to coerce the City Council to vote on removal to prevent the destruction.

It incentivizes threats and coercion. Let's hope other sinister groups don't do the same.

link   
I didn't realize statues were threatening people's safety, I thought they just sat there minding their own business. I guess since this guy says they are a safety concern it must be true.

link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

History is written by the winners... not the losers.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

It incentivizes threats and coercion. Let's hope other sinister groups don't do the same.

That was part of my implication. It likely will.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I didn't realize statues were threatening people's safety, I thought they just sat there minding their own business. I guess since this guy says they are a safety concern it must be true.

Note the fear of symbols and statues. We are at a dangerous time when statues and symbols are being smashed because they mean something evil to some. It will not end at statues, but will carry on to human beings.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It's good to see Baltimore tackling its major issues head-on and quickly.

With those statues gone, Baltimore will have more time to deal with minor annoyances facing the city, like its murder rate, drug epidemic, corrupt police force, tanking economy, etc.

Those Baltimore politicians sure know how to set priorities.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It's healthy to smash our symbols every so often lest we mistake them for something meaningful.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: HunkaHunka
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

History is written by the winners... not the losers.

If that was the case the statue would've never been put up.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

This has actually been in the works for months. The city council originally wanted to purpose their removal (and destruction) under the previous mayor. The lack of action from the ex-mayor was a major criticism that was addressed in the last election.

So it's not like they simply caved to pressure. The city has wanted this for a while and the events of Charlottesville gave them the impetus to move forward.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
What an ignorant and knee jerk move,this is totally embarrassing,a school in Long Beach where I grew up was changed from Robt E lee,to my cousin's name an activist,so the government thinks it is ok to go from one extreme to another,the government practices racism,now they turned backs on true to there roots group,only reason dixie flag is racist,is because the government says so,most of the klan are in idaho and surrounding areas,but these are liberal states,so they can't be racist

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: HunkaHunka

It's healthy to smash our symbols every so often lest we mistake them for something meaningful.

Destroying them is just as superstitious as sanctifying them them.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

True, the article mentions how removal had been discussed for at least a year, but since nothing had been done, they somewhat did cave under the threat of illegal removal. Impetus, yes, but the quickness with which it was removed was also a direct result of the threat of removal like what happened in Durham, and issues of safety like what happened in Charlottesville.

The organization Coalition of Friends/Tubman House, which had helped to plan a "Do It Like Durham" event for Wednesday using the tagline, "Let's tear down white supremacy and hate," says it canceled the event after the statues were removed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join