It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Saddest MLB At-Bat Ever.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Not that I would disrespect baseball or the skill involved but
At least the pitcher doesn't get rewarded if he removes the batsmans teeth

In cricket a ball can travel about 100 mph, bounces off the uneven turf, the ball that is deliberately left rough on one side and polished on the other so it swings unpredictably in the air, often aimed at the batsmans head just to make sure he is paying attention

Lethal, Phil Hughes an Australian player was killed a couple of years back when the ball ruptured an artery in his neck

Anyway I have no doubt how difficult hitting a baseball is, but, one of the hardest things? Ever played golf

I think if you reach pro level, it's hard any sport you play

edit on 16-8-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's awesome man. Very cool of them to do that stuff.

Did you meet A-Rod? I met him at a bar in Manhattan called Mustangs. He was a douche bag.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I've had to watch a few videos on cricket just to understand it. Pretty cool sport though.

Baseball has been known to be fatal as well. Over 850 deaths so far....this includes the fans
LINK
edit on 16-8-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
Did you meet A-Rod? I met him at a bar in Manhattan called Mustangs. He was a douche bag.

I've met most of the Yankees from 1996 up until now at one point or another. The coolest was Jeter (his parents used to live two houses away) and Bernie Williams. They were both vey chill and approachable. David Wells was also fun, he could party.

And yea, Rodriguez was always douchey.

edit on 16-8-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The coolest was Jeter

I could have guessed that. He's a stand up and humble guy. Like all the best players. He's not a cocky, whinny brat like Bryce Harper.

Jeter's group is about to buy the Marlins. Then they're going to trade Stanton to my Braves

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Pretty much any sport at the pro level (heck even top amateur level) will require super human skills and talent. Some sports are harder than others though.

Of the big 3 sports (baseball, football, basketball), I'd say baseball is the hardest in terms of sheer skill required, then basketball, and then football.

As the OP stated, hitting a baseball consistently is damn near impossible even for pros. Even for the positions not known for their hitting skills, it requires significant talent such as pitching or being a brilliant in fielder. In baseball, your physical attributes cannot overcome the skill required. While basketball requires some crazy skills, if you are freakishly tall you can often overcome the lack of skills. The same with football.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
Jeter's group is about to buy the Marlins. Then they're going to trade Stanton to my Braves

As long as they beat the Mets it works for me.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Pretty much any sport at the pro level (heck even top amateur level) will require super human skills and talent. Some sports are harder than others though.

Of the big 3 sports (baseball, football, basketball), I'd say baseball is the hardest in terms of sheer skill required, then basketball, and then football.

As the OP stated, hitting a baseball consistently is damn near impossible even for pros. Even for the positions not known for their hitting skills, it requires significant talent such as pitching or being a brilliant in fielder. In baseball, your physical attributes cannot overcome the skill required. While basketball requires some crazy skills, if you are freakishly tall you can often overcome the lack of skills. The same with football.

The big three
I hate to do this
Hockey, cricket and soccer, not ice hockey

As for skills, I recon a few dance athletic and combat contests require as much skill at elite levels as baseball
Not that I want to turn this into a pissing contest but
Hitting a baseball, yeah it's hard and all but I would prefer to hit or miss a baseball than a few other sports where hitting is part of the contest

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Edumakated

The big three
I hate to do this
Hockey, cricket and soccer, not ice hockey

As for skills, I recon a few dance athletic and combat contests require as much skill at elite levels as baseball
Not that I want to turn this into a pissing contest but
Hitting a baseball, yeah it's hard and all but I would prefer to hit or miss a baseball than a few other sports where hitting is part of the contest

When I think about difficulty of sports, I tend to measure it by "can anyone do xyz, even if they are bad at it..." When I look at major sports, compared to some other sports they aren't all that difficult even if the pro's are astonishingly good at it.

For example, being a pro baseball player is crazy difficult, but playing baseball really isn't all that hard. I mean millions of people can hit a baseball and play the game even if they will never be a pro or even a varsity high school player. On the other hand, I raced bicycle motocross (BMX). Not many people can just casually pick up a bike and make it around a BMX track without killing themselves, but plenty of people can throw a football, hit a baseball, or shoot a three pointer or even dunk.

While a golf pro is a phenom, anyone can do it. I mean there are millions of hack golfers. Not anyone can climb a mountain.

If I had to vote for the most skilled sport I'd say being a Isle of Man TT motorcycle racer. Racing a motorcycle on city streets at near 200 mph where one mistake cost you your life (almost 300 fatalities over course of race history) requires not only super human skills but balls the size of bowling balls.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I just had to look up the Isle of Man TT, and that.is.intense.

I'm not sure how they fit those testicles in their race suites.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yeah, TT is insane but
I recon mma, boxing, what those young girls do in acrobats, figure skating, the endurance to be a long distance runner

Anyway a sportsman can reach a pinnacle of his chosen sport, that's amazing.
I remember Jordan trying and failing to play baseball, just a one trick pony, great trick though

Look at the very few others who have risen to the top of more than one sport
They are the elite

For example, Anthony Mundine, was one of the greatest Rugby League players produced, switched to boxing and won a world title
Multi disciplined champ, don't like the guy but I have to respect that. Must be many others

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
Actually I have. I pithched at LSU and a guy named Ben McDonald was a teammate. His fastball averaged 98-101 mph. And I never said it was easy. It usually sounded like a strike was what most hitters said of his fastball. But it was the 12-6 curve, which he called the Big Nasty that made most hitters crap their pants. He was the #1 pick in the draft that year.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join