It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Durham statue destruction will not go unpunished.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Kryties
a reply to: network dude

Ahh, I see. You're now going to try putting words into my mouth and see how that goes.

I never claimed that anybody didn't deserve "punishment" I just asked what YOU meant by that and why you felt the need to create a thread around it when it's actually bleeding obvious.

So next time I want to do a thread, I need to get your permission first? GFYWABS. AH.

Never said that. I was just trying to make a simple determination.

As to the last bit of your post, I have no idea how to reply to gibberish except to say LKJGLJHG$*&^%$(&*.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
You know what had occurred during the sixties? the hundred year anniversary of the civil war, please please please gain some perspective. You've been on this earth at least 35 years, you know good and well that human history isn't so short sighted.

originally posted by: Painterz
I've seen so much outrage on ATS about the destruction of racist Confederate symbols.

(Remember, most of these statues were put up in the 1950s and 1960s as an insult to the civil rights movement. THey weren't put up to commemorate history, they were put up as a slap in the face to the civil rights people.)

And very little outrage about the destruction of a Holocaust memorial a few days ago.

You planning on punishing the nazis who destroyed that?

edit on 17-8-2017 by MConnalley because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Luckily, your words are here for all to see and laugh at.
Don't worry about the giberish, it was all for my amusement alone.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Morningglory

They were German people with absolutely no connection to our American heritage.

Right, they were our enemies. Like the Confederates.

Confederate soldiers weren't foreign nazis most were young American farmers.

They seceded from the United States, they divorced our Constitution and made their own, they divorced our currency and made their own. They were not America.

The confederates were also our brothers and sisters of different ideals. The confederates were Americans fighting other Americans, both fighting for what they believed in. One wrong and the other right, or so says history. At the end of the day after the dust settled, like it or not, we are all still American. do you think every person around you believes the same thing? What about the families whom didn't believe the ideals of the confederates but still lived in the southern territories? What would be your advice to them today? Simply move? How. By train or wagon? Ok. But what about there lively hoods, there jobs, there life? The farm that was in there family for generations, the cornerstone store that's doing well, the shoe smith, oh the shoe smith, a lucky one he is. He can do his job anywhere as long as he has his tools. some Things aren't so simple in the past. Some of these people would stand to lose everything they had. so there only option was to stay put. support the locals at least superficially as to not attract any negative attention and live as a southerner. Praying to god hoping there son whom was too young and too stupid to know any better came home from the war fighting for the south, and also some of there close family whom they most likely had fight for the north. wishing all well, praying all make it through.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

I don't think the person who climbed the ladder to put the rope on the statue expected to go unpunished.

To some people, doing the right thing is worth the consequences. It's called believing in your cause.

and being arrested for participation in a riot with property damage in excess of $1,500 (Class H Felony) and inciting others to riot where there is property damage in excess of $1,500 (Class F Felony) is justice. Have all the warm fuzzy beliefs you wish, but be sure you are peaceful and don't destroy others property while believing.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Morningglory

They were German people with absolutely no connection to our American heritage.

Right, they were our enemies. Like the Confederates.

Confederate soldiers weren't foreign nazis most were young American farmers.

They seceded from the United States, they divorced our Constitution and made their own, they divorced our currency and made their own. They were not America.

I invite you to take a few moments and listen to this song. It's a very good song, so not hard on the ears, but also explains a bit of the thought in a southerner's mind during that time.

I swear I see her in my dreams sometimes Held up in the middle of the night Shakin like a pistol in a young mans hand There in the pale moonlight
Standin up the top of that lonely hill Spared by the company mines Is my blue eyed baby with her best dress on In the shadow of a lonely pine It was back before the war When the company came These hills grew wild and free Me and baby we'd hide in the hollers low Away from the cruel sun's heat
But then they knocked down the timber And burned off the brush To get to the riches below And when they pulled out They left a cold black ground And one pine standing lone
So take me home... Lone pine hill
I signed up back in '61 I'm an army of Virginia man I've been from Mannasas to Mackonackey All the way to Sailors Creek fighting For my home land
After 4 years gone and all hope lost And Richmond under seige And we're diggin out Five Forks And waitin in the rain For Sheridan to bring us to our knees
So take me home... Lone pine hill
There's a strange moon hangin' overhead tonight And if the rain keeps comin then the creek's gonna rise With the good lord's grace I'll make it outta this place and I'll be in your arms come the morning light I swear...
So god grant me speed and grant me forgiveness And carry me on through the night Take me through your hills and over your rivers Away from this awful fight
Cause I ain't never known a man that's ever owned another Ain't never owned nothin' of my own And after 4 long years I just can't tell you What the hell I've been fighting for... So take me home... Lone pine hill

genius.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Small things amuse small minds.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Small things amuse small minds.

I am afraid you have beaten me. Your wit and charm coupled with your intelligence is overwhelming.
enjoy your time at the top. With great power comes great responsibility. No more jumping the shark.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

The enemy is no less human than the ally. They are still the enemy. The Confederates were the enemy, they fought against America and turned their backs on the Constitution.

edit on 8/17/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

yet who murdered more people around that same period of history?

Nazi's or Communists?

Wilhelm I v. Hohenzollern and Bismarck, which left roughly 900K soldiers dead.
War of 1870
Stalin and Nazis came up decades after that time. Not saying this isn't another Krauts highscore, but at least try to stay in the same period of history.
And yes, it was the Nazis. The October Revolution went along rather less bloody overall and Stalinism didn't get close either.

Why are you even making up all this crap?

This is what our colleges are spitting out. Bolsheviks.

Aha, that's why! Always glad to serve with historical corrections, comrade! Pu(ti)n intended.

On a less hairsplitting note: when will you folks give all that stolen land back to the native tribes? We had to give the Elsass back to french indians, too! Would be fair, wouldn't it?
edit on 17-8-2017 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Just reading the thread.

You asked someone else for a source.

Here ya go

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

We'd care what you thought if you didn't have a literal tv miniseries view of what the civil war was about...

But since you don't, frankly your high minded whiny bs is just one more of the stupid trying to get their licks in and call anything he doesn't understand racist abd blabbity blah blah friggin blergh...

Congratulations on proving yourself as one of the problem children who will likely need to be spanked and sent to bed with no voting rights and, thank god, never be able to own anything more lethal than a pen knife.

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

Oh and btw,

I don't give good god damn about WHEN those monuments were put up!

I had ancestors fight AND DIE ON BOTH SIDES of that war, and me and the tens of millions of people like me say the f***ing monuments stay!

Yeah the war itself was a shameful and dark part of our history, as was the civil rights era that FINALLY got some monuments put up EVEN IF IT WAS FOR THE WRONG REASONS, which it most definitely was BTW!

But regardless if you like it or not you don't get to spit on that piece of history, and those monuments need to stay if for no other reason as monuments to the sum total of every bad thing they represent!

The Germans weren't allowed to bulldoze over buchenwald etc specifically so they could NEVER FORGET...

That is what those monuments really are, and if all y'alls current behavior is any indicator... These monuments also need to stay for the same damn reasons!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join