It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Durham statue destruction will not go unpunished.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

When did I say it wasn't? My first post in the thread

You said "moved is not erased". This statue was not moved, but torn down and stomped and spat on.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Yes in reference to the previous post stating it should be done through voting not destruction.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: AMPTAH

Why not have the strength of conviction to just come out and say what you mean - you are espousing the violent overthrow of the American government.

Embrace it, shout it from the rooftops,

Who is the American government, if not "we the people" ?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The number of law-breaking thugs arrested is now is up to 4.

Three more protesters were arrested Wednesday for participating in the toppling of a nearly century-old statue of a Confederate soldier in North Carolina.

www.foxnews.com...

They're probably crying for their mommy to come bail them out, LOL.

I suppose future vandals will start wearing ski-masks.

edit on 8/16/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

its about time.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I am glad this mouth breather and others like her will be punished and likely have a while to think about their actions. I don't care that you have fragile feelings. I don't care that you don't like something about the civil war, or can't handle the part where some in the south want to commemorate their fallen brethren with a statue. You don't have the right to dictate what happens to Civil war statues. We have a system of laws and jurisprudence in that if you don't like something, get a petition, make your case. If you do things the right way, perhaps more will be on your side, but this is not the way to do business.

I do agree with you
but it seems that charlottesville went thru the proper procedure, according to their laws and jurisprudence..
where did it get them?
no, it nice to talk about the system of laws and such, but maybe we have devolved too far, we don't trust our elected officials and those laws...
the people who destroyed this statue didn't agree with the state laws that protected such statues, so they took matters into their own hands.
the unite the right couldn't accept the decision of the city, so they came flocking in from the four corners of the country and canada even, accompanied by others who didn't trust the city to fullfill their decision..
if you respect the laws and our democratic system, then sometimes you are just gonna have to accept that you won't always get your way in everything.

and then, when you consider this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

there's a possibility that many of those that came to charlottesville, on both sides, didn't come because they cared about the statue one way or another, but hey, the economy is rough, and they needed the money!!
are we being played???

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I don't care that you have fragile feelings.

I'm sure she doesn't care about your feelings either, snowflake.

I don't care that you don't like something about the civil war

And I'm also sure she doesn't care about your neoconfederate sensibilities either.

You don't have the right to dictate what happens to Civil war statues.

Here's the irony. When was the last time a new Civil War monument went up anywhere outside of LA or MS? Why is that? Because the ones that are up now, most of which were actually put up at the turn of the century or the height of the Civil Rights movement (because, f# those black people wanting rights and equality) are products of a century long period when an oppressive racial majority was able to litter public spaces with monuments to a rebellion fought to preserve the institution of slavery — because freed slaves and their descendants lacked the power to do anything about it.

Where's all your outrage about that?

We have a system of laws and jurisprudence in that if you don't like something, get a petition, make your case. If you do things the right way, perhaps more will be on your side, but this is not the way to do business.

I agree that under most circumstances, people taking it upon themselves to tear down statues is wrong. This isn't an exception in my estimation as there is recourse. So, having done it, those who participated should expect legal repercussions. We can at least agree on that. There's no breakdown here that requires circumventing the rule of law.

However, to the second part. That's complete horses# and you know it. People in Charlottesville are trying to take down a monument the right way, and the result has been:

- opposition by right-wing national media

- an invasive horde of neo-Nazis who have maimed several and killed one.

- a hapless President who feels so beholden to a fringe lousy with white nationalists/supremacists and neo-confederates that he contorts himself to avoid angering them and in fact, went on a specious rant about George-effing-Washington in support of their agenda.

How long before the battleground museums are targeted?

Yes, let's screech about something that hasn't happened to prop up weak arguments.

How long before some KKK nutter decides it's his civic duty to shoot at someone defacing a statue? Both would be equally stupid, don't be that guy.

Jesus. The false equivalence is off the scale. Defacing a statue is "equally stupid" to shooting at the person doing it? Really? So you think that possibly murdering/maiming a person is on par with defacing a statue?

Your extremism is showing.

Ah yes, snowflake. If you aren't smart enough to win an argument, start off by calling names, then all your fanbois will be lining up to kiss your ass. Well payed.

Sadly, you don't have what it takes to turn this into a win. A stupid person did something stupid. Defending that person, makes you look, A. Brilliant, or B. Stupid. Good luck on that pop quiz.

I am really sorry that the Civil war brings back such horrible memories for you, it must have been hell to read that history, or perhaps you missed the context due to the big words, I don't know. But knowing what I do of the world, removing visual reminders of past events will not change the fact that past events happened. What it will do is let the feeble minded forget about past events and likely repeat them, due to stupidity and generally being assholes.

When statues of Dr. King are torn down, not for their racial tension, but for the simple fact that nobody in power today seems to comprehend what his message was, I wonder will you be able to show the same feelings?

Sincerely,

Snowflake.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Did we ever need Nazi statues to remember what they did?

link to many WW2 memorials.

We sure did erect some memorials to remember how we dealt with them.

Deny ignorance, don't wallow in it.
edit on 17-8-2017 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Morningglory

They were German people with absolutely no connection to our American heritage.

Right, they were our enemies. Like the Confederates.

Confederate soldiers weren't foreign nazis most were young American farmers.

They seceded from the United States, they divorced our Constitution and made their own, they divorced our currency and made their own. They were not America.

They where Americans before the war, than we fought a very bloody war to force them to be Americans again... and now because we dont like their statues they aren't Americans anymore?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Precisely how will it be punished?

If you mean by the courts then congratulations on stating the bleeding obvious.

If not, then I must ask what punishment you had in mind?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Precisely how will it be punished?

If you mean by the courts then congratulations on stating the bleeding obvious.

If not, then I must ask what punishment you had in mind?

Are you part of an organized effort to be this way? I posted an article showing that the person who destroyed this statue has been arrested and will be punished by the law. I also mentioned that I disagree with people doing this sort of thing, destroying public or private property based on their feelings at the time.

If you disagree, then bring an intelligent response, what you brought is nowhere near such a thing.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I was just wondering what the point of the thread was then other than stating the bleeding obvious and merely providing yet another platform for all the "Right" to pat each other on the back and wish each other a "job well done"?

edit on 17/8/2017 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I was just wondering what the point of the thread was then other than stating the bleeding obvious and merely providing yet another platform for all the "Right" to pat each other on the back and wish each other a "job well done"?

Posting an article explaining that breaking the law has consequences even if you are on the left is a bad thing? This was posted by me because it happened near me. I am really sorry it offended you. Perhaps in the future, you would employ the age old tactic of ignoring things that upset you.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

All I'm trying to get to the bottom of is whether you genuinely thought people wouldn't expect them to get jailed, so posted the thread, or whether it's just another big excuses for all the "Right" to come in and congratulate each other and pat each other on the back. Some people may describe it as "circlejerking".

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

It's a tad bit ironic to see you post this in your thread:

a reply to: RazorV66

Then why try to deflect off the topic by claiming it's "beating a dead horse" when it's actually new evidence that refutes what the Right has been shouting loudly for days now?

Are you trying to silence me? Why?

Are YOU trying to silence me?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

So you're not actually going to answer my question?

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

reading comprehension issues. There is help out there for you.

Posting an article explaining that breaking the law has consequences even if you are on the left is a bad thing? This was posted by me because it happened near me. I am really sorry it offended you. Perhaps in the future, you would employ the age old tactic of ignoring things that upset you.

I seriously don't get your tone or general behavior over this. Unless you just have a need to disagree with me due to my political ideals.

I don't think tearing down statues in a mob like environment is a good thing. I firmly believe that those responsible should be punished, and the punishment is meant to deter future actions that might be similar. (the idea is to make people behave more like sane adults and not spoiled assholes) I was happy to hear that the woman who did this will indeed receive punishment. I can't make that any clearer than that, and I doubt using crayons would help, so this is the best I can do to explain myself to you, as I am sure I have that obligation.

If you feel as if this woman didn't deserve punishment, please explain why.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Ahh, I see. You're now going to try putting words into my mouth and see how that goes.

I never claimed that anybody didn't deserve "punishment" I just asked what YOU meant by that and why you felt the need to create a thread around it when it's actually bleeding obvious.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Ahh, I see. You're now going to try putting words into my mouth and see how that goes.

I never claimed that anybody didn't deserve "punishment" I just asked what YOU meant by that and why you felt the need to create a thread around it when it's actually bleeding obvious.

So next time I want to do a thread, I need to get your permission first? GFYWABS. AH.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: xuenchen

Tear up a statue of a confederate soldier....lose your right to vote or own a gun?
great trade liberal idiot

Well since those types don't vote or own guns I guess it was a win for the idiot.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join